1. Re: Weird unknown sound on 2.0TDI EA 288 engine 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    hi, i went with both sets of part numbers and i said this is what is on the car my parts catalogue shows this set tho, my reg is this and my vin is this, obviously on a printed piece of paper. And obviously i asked them to check and double check as i need the valve and cover and i do not know which is latest rev or what it will fit. Took about 40 minutes to cross reference in stuff on what they say 2 systems and they said i actually need the 03L set...

Had a trip yesterday there to either get a refund or a exchange for the correct part and parts counter after another 30 minutes of digging, said the set they supplied is the right one for my vin engine code bla bla bla... but they can not check the second system as it is down... so they will investigate further on Monday and give me a call. They also specified the set with 04L does not appear in skoda database....

On top of all this this morning i had extended cranking time again with no fault codes (something i looked in before and is not a fuel supply issue but vvt).

0 0 0

2. Angry Re: Weird unknown sound on 2.0TDI EA 288 engine 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by N871BUD View Post
    hi, i went with both sets of part numbers and i said this is what is on the car my parts catalogue shows this set tho, my reg is this and my vin is this, obviously on a printed piece of paper. And obviously i asked them to check and double check as i need the valve and cover and i do not know which is latest rev or what it will fit. Took about 40 minutes to cross reference in stuff on what they say 2 systems and they said i actually need the 03L set...

Had a trip yesterday there to either get a refund or a exchange for the correct part and parts counter after another 30 minutes of digging, said the set they supplied is the right one for my vin engine code bla bla bla... but they can not check the second system as it is down... so they will investigate further on Monday and give me a call. They also specified the set with 04L does not appear in skoda database....

On top of all this this morning i had extended cranking time again with no fault codes (something i looked in before and is not a fuel supply issue but vvt).

Right time for a update, maybe not the best but i think i am on to something.
    Cambelt done twice as first was thought something was missed, aux belt and rollers done also glow plugs.... and as per previous postcamshaft operating valve and housing making no difference whatsoever.
    I have to mention is 18000k miles since issue was first noticed... and did not got any worse or better...

I was planning to order the whole camshaft module that includes the vvt system as sugested but now i am hesitant as i discovered something, my brother in law just bought a 17 plate este with identical specs and engine 2 months newer than my one and more then less milage. out of curiosity i put the vcds on it to see if anything is standing out and looking at cams in measuring blocks dat i noticed something that made me facepalm...

on idle
    coolant temp 90 celsius
    camshaft adjustment intake bank1: specidified value is 10*
    camshaft adjustment intake bank1: actual value is 9.97*
    camshaft adaptation intake bank1: phase position: 0.99*
    camshaft speed (RPM): 375.0/min
    camshaft adjustment intake bank1 activation 6.592%

on the same conditions parked on idle with engine at normal operating temperature my one:

coolant temp 91 celsius
    camshaft adjustment intake bank1: specidified value is 47.52*
    camshaft adjustment intake bank1: actual value is 47.98*
    camshaft adaptation intake bank1: phase position: 0.0*
    camshaft speed (RPM): 375.0/min
    camshaft adjustment intake bank1 activation 44.116%

obviously way out then expected and to be fair i do not know how i missed this before in live data?!

Anyway let it cool off covers off checked the timing via crankshaft and pin on camshaft and also pin on the camshaft cover acces hole and spot on ***?! i was thinking i goofed up something on timebelt even tho i done it twice checked and double checked...

0 0 0

3. Re: Weird unknown sound on 2.0TDI EA 288 engine 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    So what are you traying to say? The readings are different in your btrothers-in-lows car that they are in yours? But did you find the remedy to cure long crank?I have 1.6 tdi ea288 and don't see vvt 'barrel' so to say but flat cover where you have that I guess old part (vvt). Never mind. Did you solve the problem?

0 0 0

4. Re: Weird unknown sound on 2.0TDI EA 288 engine 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by radiator View Post
    So what are you traying to say? The readings are different in your btrothers-in-lows car that they are in yours? But did you find the remedy to cure long crank?I have 1.6 tdi ea288 and don't see vvt 'barrel' so to say but flat cover where you have that I guess old part (vvt). Never mind. Did you solve the problem?
    hi replacing the vvt system ( cover and insides ) sorted the values issues but not the ocasional slightly longer crank, that turned out to be a combination of things: battery issue, even if the battery was not old seems like was replaced with genuine and the value of the battery set on the car battery management did not match the battery causing it to wear prematurely. Once battery was replaced and car configured properly in battery management system with the correct type and capacity problem did not repeat itself. This happened in November 2022. Attention needs to be paid on changing battery on this engine as are 3 options of battery as type and many more are different capacity so... is not just a case of replacing the battery with another one. the car needs to know if is wet efb agm and what capacity it is 54 66 70 ah etc and manufacturer (while the rest makes sense as specs not sure how this affects the way battery management on the car behaves).

lesson learned: dealership might forget to configure the change of battery and that will cause preamature wear and shorten the life span of it... also is possible other issues to apear long term

0 0 0

5. Re: Weird unknown sound on 2.0TDI EA 288 engine 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You say you replaced the VVT system cover and insides. Which parts do you mean by that?

0 0 0

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12