1. Re: Sharan as camping car 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Some interesting posts, thanks guys, Hair Bear you have made more progress than me with your conversion. I ran out of steam. Partly due to the new lockdown: couldn't see an end point to a time when I might be able to get out and use my 'pretend camper' so lost interest to a certain extent. Or, I could just be honest and say it was too bloomin' cold and wet to be faffing about outside....

I have actually made a bit of progress as I've made a bedbase, with the bottom end cut away to fit around the wheel arch. I also pinched the mattress off my old z-bed and cut it to size and made a cover for it. I have made two seat backs and almost finished the 3 cushion covers. I have made the curtains but still haven't been able to get them to fit properly to ensure privacy is maintained and light excluded. I tried stick-on velcro to start with but it just kept coming off, so I think I shall have to sew it on.

I have salvaged the headboard from the z-bed and plan to fix up a shelf on the top of the nearside wheel arch where, once anchored I'm hoping to be able to stand my bowl and hob on it, and hang the mobile EHU on a hook underneath, and somehow need to find space for freshand waste water receptacles

Someone mentioned keeping the hob in a box/drawer under the bed base... I've got 3 plastic boxes absolutely ideal for sliding under the bedbase for storing stuff: one box for food, one for cutlery/crockery and one for clothes, and I'm hoping there'll be enough space under there to keep the hob when I'm travelling.

Oh, and the other thing was the problem with the tailgate door: being unable to open it from the inside. My local garage kindly fitted a switch in the door which, somehow he managed to link up to the central locking system, clever young man.

When I've worked out how to upload piccies I'll post a few of my progress so far.

I love the term 'Sharalraxy'! Once I've finished working on my conversion I was going to describe my car as a 'Sharanavan', but maybe that would just be too cheesy.....

0 0 0

2. Re: Sharan as camping car 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    By the way, I meant to mention in my previous post that my 'conversion' so far has cost me virtually nothing. All I have had to buy is the sheet of ply for the bedbase and some timber (only used 1"x 2") for its legs. All other materials so far have been unearthed from the depth of my stash of craft goodies. Oh, and I bought some sliding bolts to attach to the bottom end of each leg, which slot down into the seat fixing brackets. This stops the bed moving about whilst in transit but makes it very quick and easy to take out if I want to use the car as a load carrier.

0 0 0

3. Re: Sharan as camping car 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    We've used ours for many years now and there is still a certain smugness to it.
    Be careful with the cooker, there's very little air circulation and Co poisoning can happen very quickly.
    We had several attemps at different curtain designs but the natural shape of the car means they hang away at the bottom. Our solution was to make 5 panels out of an old plastic notice board. Start with some cardboard and make 3 templates, one for the rear door, one for the boot window, and one for the tailgate. Make them slightly oversize so they wedge in place, then transfer onto some plastic or hardboard.
    The boot lid on the Touran has an interior release as standard, I'd be suprised if the Sharan didn't somewhere.
    1 person in 10 understands binary, the other one doesn't.

0 1 0

4. Re: Sharan as camping car 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks Hair Bear. I've seen no end of camping cars using this sort of method. Personally, I prefer curtains, they look more homely, so l'll persevere until I find a way of fixing them to ensure privacy and prevention of light pollution! However, I have used a similar method to yours for the front windows.

The cooker: When I'm on a site with EHU I shall use my induction hob for cooking, no Co to worry about. Lots of people will warn against using gas in an enclosed area, but I note that in all professional conversions a gas hob is included. Most people, hopefully, will use their common sense and ensure there's plenty of ventilation when they're cooking on gas. The other alternative is to have a pull-out 'boot jump' arrangement with the hob included in that, but then you need some sort of awning or shelter so that you can still use it when it's raining (although the open tailgate would afford some shelter)

The only two outings I have had so far camping in the Sharan, I put up my tailgate awning to give me more space. However that seemed like far too much faffing about for the sake of a few days away. In addition to the awning I have a frame tent which I actually find easier to put up. I'll probably blow the cobwebs off that if I want to stay out for a longer holiday.

I haven't found an interior tailgate release in the Sharan by the way

0 0 0

5. Re: Sharan as camping car 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi guys,

just stumbled across this when doing my research about Sharan camping. I have dedicated an entire site to car camping conversions + have a very simple conversion for my Sharan 2013 (5 seater). check it out here - it might help (all under 100 GBP / 110 EUR): VW Sharan car camping DIY makeover under 110€ / $130

Lukas

0 0 0

6. Re: Sharan as camping car 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Daisy,

I converted my 5 seater Sharan into a microcamper for 100 GBP - just by using some wooden crates and plywood. No need to take anything out - the benefit being you can easily switch between a 2 seater + bed at the back to a normal 5 seater and everyday car. More here:

VW Sharan car camping DIY makeover under 110€ / $130

If you want something permanent, check out this "Shampervan" Pick of the month: The Shampervan - a very well thought through DIY Sharan camper conversion - NIMBLE CAMPER

Sharan is definitely a good car for a microcamper conversion (#2 on my microcampers list, overtaken only in size by the Caddy Maxi).

0 0 0

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12