1. MK3 2L 8V ADY cutting out update 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Firstly, many many thanks for replies and help so far. Replaced crank sensor with Delphi part. DO NOT BUY THIS BRAND. Sensor works fine electrically, but body is 0.25mm narrower than the old sensor meaning that the o-ring does not seal and it leaks oil badly. Cured by fitting slightly fatter o-ring. Really thought I'd cracked the fault. Car has run on tickover for several hours in stages on the drive, no problem. Risked taking it for a spin today, after about 30 mins driving cut out same as before. Managed to get it home in fits and starts. Can't trust it now. Thinking I should start looking at fuel system now? Anybody got any ideas?

0 0 0

2. Re: MK3 2L 8V ADY cutting out update 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1813 Post(s)
    Change the ECU relay, position 3 (top main row of the relay plate second from the left) with the number 30 printed on top. As with your advice on the G28, only fit a genuine relay part number 165 906 381 which is £23.84. If the VW parts person tries to tell you the 95 to 96 ADY does not have one, tell them it does and that the parts info has been wrong since the 95 microfiche film came out (probably before they were born) and that error carried onto the computerised ETKA system and is still there so tell him to look at is as being a 97 AGG where it is correctly listed or just say give me a 165 906 381.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: MK3 2L 8V ADY cutting out update 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks Crasher. Unfortunately, I think I can eliminate the ECU relay. I changed it for a genuine VW part some years ago to try and cure an intermittent no start fault. The car has covered about 25K since. The fault was actually the crank sensor wiring that had crumbled and shorted. I kept the perfectly good relay I took out, which is the original genuine one. I have tried this relay and the fault is no different. I am an electronics tech. by trade, and have stripped down both relays. They are both mint inside with no signs of dry joints on the PCB, which is the actual fault on these relays. Since it broke down on me today, I have had it idling for at least 2 hours on an off, it is up to full temp. and is showing no signs of the fault. Obviously, I'm pretty cheesed off now. Just been looking at my circuit diagrams for the Simos ECU and related components. It would seem that the main contact of the relay 30 also supplies the AMM with +12V. This wiring is easy to access. Why don't I put my meter on this wire and see if there is any unusual voltage fluctuation? This should eliminate that relay 30 once and for all I think?

0 0 0

4. Re: MK3 2L 8V ADY cutting out update 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1813 Post(s)
    There is not a lot that will stop these engines randomly; when coils fail that is usually it and fuel pumps just stop dead and never pump again. With it not cutting out whilst standing but it does when driving my thoughts turn to the ignition switch although does it have an aftermarket alarm/immobiliser?
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

5. Re: MK3 2L 8V ADY cutting out update 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Hi Crasher, sorry not replied earlier, got fed up with it and been ill. Last Sunday started the car at 10AM and left it idling all day with bonnet down. Kept checking it for temp and revving engine, no problems whatsoever. It does not have an aftermarket alarm or immobiliser. VCDS detects a factory unit I believe and does not register any faults, not that that means a lot. MOT expired today, just another problem to add to the mix. Just wondering if I leave it long enough whether whatever the fault is will pack up altogether which would make things much easier? Would maybe giving the ignition switch a thump or wiggling the connections cause it to falter?

0 0 0

6. Re: MK3 2L 8V ADY cutting out update 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1813 Post(s)
    The factory fitted immobiliser will not cut the engine whilst it is running, when this is triggered the engine will start and then immediately stop so we can rule that out. What you have done so far SHOULD eliminate the ECU relay and G28 and when those 6N transformer coils tend to just die and that’s it IF it is the original factory coil... if it is aftermarket I would replace it with a top brand unit such as the BERU ZSE001 or Bosch 0 986 221 000

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

7. Re: MK3 2L 8V ADY cutting out update 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Hi mate. Thanks again for sticking with this one! I get what you say about the coil pack. However, when the car faults, the first symptom is that it will idle fine, but will not rev. If you try to rev. the engine it will misfire violently and then cut straight out if you persist. These coils get very hot in normal use, and I did suspect the new one I had fitted because the car did not have this fault before it refused to start which was definitely the coil, as I kept the old one (which was a Beru btw). With the old coil fitted the car does not start. Also, the fault never seems to happen when the engine is cold. The parts I have changed are G28, G40, coil, dist. cap, rotor arm. So, I got another brand new Delphi coil, waited for the fault to appear and swapped the coil for the new stone-cold one, the fault was exactly the same, which in my mind rules out the coil. Also, the fact that the car will idle but not rev. I wonder about whether the ignition switch could cause this? Can't really see that it could. The car always starts again if you let it cool down for a while. Baffling.

0 0 0

8. Re: MK3 2L 8V ADY cutting out update 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1813 Post(s)
    What you describe there sounds like fuel starvation.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0