1. Rear drivers door won't open on passat b5.5 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Can't get my rear drivers sidedoor open from the inside or outside. When I unlock the car the lock pin does not go up if I pull the handle from the inside the pin goes up but when I get go it just goes back down again

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

0 0 0

2. Re: Rear drivers door won't open on passat b5.5 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi James, I've go the same problems.

I'm looking at replacing the lock from the inside (which is apparently pretty difficulty without going too destructively). I did notice when I was trouble shooting that the electrical connector for the door had come loose, you might get lucky if you can open the front door, remove the rubber boot for the rear door electrics and push the plug in... otherwise when I get to my replacement I'll put up some photos of lessons learned. Ordering replacement lock this week

0 0 0

3. Re: Rear drivers door won't open on passat b5.5 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    It is impossible to change the lock from behind, the deadlocked safety catches bear claw latch is wrapped around the pin on the D pillar and the two bolts that hold the unit to the inner door shell are trapped between the D pillar and the door shell. You have to take the door card off (almost certainly you will damage it) the lower the window until you can see the roll pin through the opening in the panel. Then the roll pin and sleeve have to be removed with a self tapping screw and the sleeve pushed through and the glass lifted out of the clip and the lifted by hand and held up with tape. That brings you too the inner door skin window regulator panel which is bolted on, on some Skoda’s it is riveted on . The door handle has to be removed and this is only possible with the door open so we snip the cable bearing in mind the new lock may have one which is too long, then disconnect the lock carrier plastic plate and with a few jobs the panel is off. Then you can attack the back of the lock until you can get in and flip the safety and release the claw.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

4. Re: Rear drivers door won't open on passat b5.5 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Done this job a number of times on both front and back doors and I've never had to "snip a cable". With enough destruction of the lock the door has always opened allowing access to the outer handle securing screw, plus none of my replacement locks have ever come with the cable, too long or otherwise. Also "disconnecting" the lock carrier plate is too nice a term, hammering out the plastic rivets holding it to the regulator panel is what's required, they never seem to secure properly a second time so I use a couple of M8 nuts and bolts in the rebuild.
    The only damage I've ever had on a rear door (apart from the smashed up lock) has been to the grab handle trim covering the 2 bolts holding the door card on, the seat bolster makes it impossible to remove from the bottom so you have to prise it from the top and unfortunately it tends to show.
    Last edited by ianhayter; 03-10-2020 at 09:39 AM.

1 0 0

5. Re: Rear drivers door won't open on passat b5.5 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Yes a bit of brain fade there, you know which cable I mean and I remember one of my lads did have to cut one once for some reason but not attacking the lock. I blame the car I had just finished.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

6. Re: Rear drivers door won't open on passat b5.5 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the replies what would be a reasonable price to get the actuator replaced if I supplied the new part

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

0 0 0

7. Re: Rear drivers door won't open on passat b5.5 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    I don’t know how it works in OZ but in the UK most garages (including myself) will refuse to fit customers own parts. On reason is the trade to retail price differential is part of what puts food on the table and secondly, being supplied incorrect or faulty parts is a very common problem so put the customer in the supply chain and with the car in bits, the wrong/faulty part causes havoc in the workshop. Again I can’t comment on price but it could take 2 or 3 hours to do if it is stubborn.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

8. Re: Rear drivers door won't open on passat b5.5 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    As a bean-counter by day and tinkerer by weekend I managed to get this done in maybe 2 hours. Extra tools needed from a standard lock change I would say is a T10 torx bit (to open the actuator casing a little), and a sold flat blade screw driver to pry/scoop out as much of the mechanism as possible until the deadlock gives up. Can't comment on Australian pricing but managed to get one in the UK on ******* for £21.16 ex. shipping (insert * but gotta go OEM * cries)

0 0 0

9. Re: Rear drivers door won't open on passat b5.5 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Beware of Autococ and the directly affiliated Partforcars, they are able to supply a huge range of products difficult to source in the UK but they are Berlin based and if you have ANY issues with what they supply they make your life very difficult.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0