Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Assistance Required Window Regulator.

1. Assistance Required Window Regulator. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Hello.
    Is there anyone that lives in our around the Aberdeen area that can assist?
    I have an A4 B7 S Line Saloon and the front drivers side electric window will not operate. When the switch for the window is pressed all I hear is strange noises and no window movement.
    Due to serious illness I cannot bend over or crouch down for any length of time. Is there anyone in the local area that could strip the door down, remove old window regulator and replace with a new one then reassemble the door.
    If there is, can you message myself a cost to carry out the work. The car is located outside Bucksburn head toward Haudagain Roundabout. I’m not too sure when the job can be done as I am frequently admitted in to ARI.
    I look forward to any replies.

Regards,

Stuart.

0 0 0

2. Re: Assistance Required Window Regulator. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    So this is not going to help you much, but without being able to bend, I see your challenge. I've changed a front drivers and a rear passenger regulator on my B6, and I've had the 2 front window frames out on my B7 to retrofit the power fold mirrors.

It's a case of removing the door cards, window lifter motor, speaker, then you have to use a heat gun to remove the door weather seal, then you have about 6 - 7 bolts to remove, to remove the window frame. Most of these are held in with Star Torx bolts. Larger sizes. The B7 was slightly harder to remove the window frames as there is a side impact sensor which restricts lifting the window frame out of the door.

Then a couple of small screws and the door frame lifts out. This allows access to the window regulator. I understand it's not worth wasting your time on repair kits for these. It's better to replace. The front regulators are about £100 from Audi now, but I managed to pick up a new genuine part for about £50. There are a lot of aftermarket options, but I've no idea on the quality. You also have the option of used ones, but the drivers window will obviously be the most worn, so you don't want to repalce with one that breaks next week. They do appear to have improved the design. when getting the replacement window regulator for my B6, I ended up getting one that ended in a C, but the one I removed ended in a A in the VAG part number. It looked like a couple of the plastic parts had been improved to be more durable. By the time the B7 was launched, I expect they all had the latest versions fitted.

I'd allow about 2 - 3 hours for a competant DIY car person to do the job. I'm sure a garage would be 1 - 1.5 hours of labour.

Unfortunately I could not be further away from Aberdeen to help you, but maybe someone will be able to help out.

Paul

0 0 0

3. Re: Assistance Required Window Regulator. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Just an added thought, have you checked the wiring loom in the A pillar, which goes to the door. It's a known A4 nightmare, where there are something like 4 fat wires and 4 skinny wires, and they break over time with repeated opening and closing of the doors. Drivers door obviously suffers more that the other doors. Over time, 3 of the small and 1 of the fat wires on my B6 broke, and in the end I had no locking, mirrors or window control. but the things stopped working one at a time, over a period.

Anyway, worth checking as well.

0 0 0

4. Re: Assistance Required Window Regulator. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Thank you for the reply Paul. The main problem I have is broken bones in the spine. This limits what I can do and also what I can lift. I’m guessing it is the regulator that is at fault as the door panel switch operates the other windows fine and the door panel mount central switch also works. When I press the switch to operate the drives front window, the window motor works but makes strange noises from the door panel.

0 0 0

5. Re: Assistance Required Window Regulator. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1813 Post(s)
    Failed mechanism cable. Part number 8E0 837 462 C, £117.23 inc VAT from an Audi dealer. Cheap aftermarket ones are rubbish, they don't last but some are OK such as Valeo & Marelli are OEM's and Meyle are very good well made parts.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

6. Re: Assistance Required Window Regulator. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    Sounds like when the plastic lifter clips broke on our Touran, which in turn was caused by a frayed wire jamming part of the mechanism up. it finally went as I was putting the window up while joining a motorway. Glass fell to bottom of door and I had a windy, drizzly soft-top type experience until I could strap the window closed with a bit of tape.

I was traveling to Aberdeen weekly for work pre-embargo, and would have happily spent an evening working on it rather than in Pizza Express. But that doesn't help at the moment, and seems unlikely to be an option any time soon.
    ======

Did this forum help you today? Help make sure it's here next time as well. Just click here to make a suitable donation using PayPal .

0 0 0

7. Re: Assistance Required Window Regulator. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Hello Crasher.

Yes I was told about the quality of the units on eBay and that they have a habit of failing prematurely. I’ll look in to the Manufactures you stated and take it from there.

Thank you and Regards.

0 0 0

8. Re: Assistance Required Window Regulator. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Thank you VAG-Abound for the reply.

The window has no movement at all when the button is pressed to operate the window. Just a continual grinding noise Sound from behind the door panel. I’m not in any immediate rush to fix it as I hardly use the car so if it is ok with yourself I could contact yourself at a later date one the rules get relaxed.
    just trying to get the jobs done that are required to be done most importantly an oil & filter change as I removed the dip stick and could not see any level mark as the oil is so black. Just trying to find the best garage to do the work.

Take care and all the best to you.

0 0 0

9. Re: Assistance Required Window Regulator. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    almost certain that the cable for the window winder has snapped - has happened on my B6 cab 3 times in 12 years. the grease dries out and then all hell breaks loose (literly). B. of a job to fix (in the Cab at least) though by the third time I got quite good at restringing it.

Good luck,

W.

0 0 0

10. Re: Assistance Required Window Regulator. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Yes, I have to agree W McCann, after watching videos on you tube it looked quite a bit of work to remove and fit a replacement.

0 0 0