1. A6 2.0 Ultra new turbo?! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    I've had a problem with my 2014 (pre-facelift) ultra (117k miles on the clock but haven't been far since March) going into limp mode occasionally over the last 8 months or so, with fault code pointing to the turbo actuator. I've had Audi assist out twice over the last 4 months who have freed up the actuator and lubricated it, but they have advised that I probably need a new turbo.
    I'm just waiting on quotes for a new turbo. Just wondered if anyone has any advice as to whether I should go genuine or aftermarket and what sort of price I should be expecting, or whether there's anything else worth looking at or replacing while the turbo is out...
    Cheers all.

0 0 0

2. Re: A6 2.0 Ultra new turbo?! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    One of our cars used to occasionally hit limp on fast roads. We switched to me taking it for 2-3 drives each week on the M3 as a part of my commute, rather than my wife driving it around town. Fixed itself after a couple of months.

On our other similar car the same treatment didn't work, so I fitted a new Melett turbo rather than the OEM Garret. Getting the failing one traded for a recon unit at Midland Turbo might have been cheaper, but I was pleased with the result I got.
    ======

Did this forum help you today? Help make sure it's here next time as well. Just click here to make a suitable donation using PayPal .

1 0 0

3. Re: A6 2.0 Ultra new turbo?! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Just as an update I've bought a new Borg Warner turbo from a relatively local supplier for £625 + VAT which is apparently the same turbo as Audi supply. My local garage quoted £1083 + VAT for the turbo from Audi.

I found it difficult to find the part numbers for my car (2014 pre-facelift Ultra) so for anyone that's interested my engine code is CNHA and the Audi turbo part number is 04L 253 124 and the Borg Warner part number is 5303 988 0620.
    Just waiting for a slot at my local VW/Audi specialst for fitment in a few weeks time.

Is there anything esle that I should ask the garage to do or look at while the turbo is out, and what can I do to help the new one last longer than 117,000 miles?!

0 0 0

4. Re: A6 2.0 Ultra new turbo?! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    Are you sure that's right? Where I'm looking the 2014 A6 CNHA had Audi part 04L253056C, which according to the BW lookup at http://www.turbos.bwauto.com/en/afte...uctSearch.aspx is 5303 988 0414.

Part 04L 253 124 A seems to be listed for different vehicles: GENUINE VW PASSAT TIGUAN AUDI Q2 Q3 SEAT ATECA 2.0 TDI 190BHP TURBO TURBOCHARGER | eBay, and the BW part to match (see under the Audi list at https://www.borgwarner.com/aftermark...r-applications) is 5303 988 0621.

What I suspect has happened is that whoever did the lookup saw the original part number with C suffix, decided (wrongly I think) that any later suffix would be compatible so it got matched to the 04L253056G, 04L253056J, 04L253056M in that BG list, and then to the 04L253124A which succeeds them (but not your original as far as I can tell).
    ======

Did this forum help you today? Help make sure it's here next time as well. Just click here to make a suitable donation using PayPal .

0 0 0

5. Re: A6 2.0 Ultra new turbo?! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks for this - the part numbers I quoted above are the numbers my local garage and turbo supplier gave me.

I’ve just checked the part number on the turbo in the car and you are correct, it is 04L253056C.

The part number on the turbo I’ve received from the supplier don’t match those above either - the part number is 04L253056H (BW number 5303 1015 279) so the suffix H instead of C. The supplier has assured me that this is absolutely fine and the letter just indicates a small change like a change of component supplier but that the design is exactly the same.

Do you think that this will be fine or do I need exactly the same part number?

0 0 0

6. Re: A6 2.0 Ultra new turbo?! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    Feeling a bit more positive on this for you this morning. Those 062x items are pretty new to the BW catalogue I think. It would make some sense for the 0620 to be an updated replacement for the C VAG suffix, and a couple of online suppliers list it that way. So hopefully all is good.
    ======

0 0 0

7. Re: A6 2.0 Ultra new turbo?! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Phew! Thanks for your help. I’ll report back when fitted.

0 0 0

8. Re: A6 2.0 Ultra new turbo?! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    Just reread your prior post. 04L253056H is also listed for the same BW ...0620 item, but you're saying you didn't get one of those - but got the earlier BW model number. Hopefully still good, but if it were my car I'd be trying to double check that the C suffix was also covered by that BW part number. I can't find anythign online to say it was. BW themseelves don't seem to be very good on a full online catalogue .
    ======

0 0 0

9. Re: A6 2.0 Ultra new turbo?! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Just an update to my turbo replacement which has now been completed. Turbo 04L253056C came out and 04L253056H went in and all seems to be OK. The garage did have to clean out the EGR cooler which was almost completely blocked with soot, and they also cleaned up the EGR flap/valve. For anyone that's interested the turbo cost £625 + VAT for a new replacement, and £720.20 for labour and gaskets, oil, and filter so a grand total of £1626.24 inc VAT.

Now I just need to work out what to do with my old turbo, and how I can keep the turbo clean and prevent the EGR cooler blocking up in the future, if anyone has any suggestions?!

0 1 0

10. Re: A6 2.0 Ultra new turbo?! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Robes401
    Are you happy to tell us who did the work for you?

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast