1. Spare wheel sizes. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi everyone. In need of a space saver spare wheel for my 2012 Q5 s line +. Does anyone know if a 2017 A6 spare will do the job. Only difference I can see is the A6 is ET 42 where the Q5 is ET 33.
    Am I right in thinking with it only being a space saver, it shouldn’t matter too much because of the reduced tyre width.

Any info greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 0 0

2. Re: Spare wheel sizes. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    What are you comparing to see them as so similar? Where I looked it said that the 20" tyres (for example) are 255/35 on the A6, but 255/45 on the Q5. That's two inches difference in diameter.

By space saver you mean ready inflated? Not the folding type?
    Last edited by VAG-Abound; 13-09-2020 at 01:02 PM.
    ======

Did this forum help you today? Help make sure it's here next time as well. Just click here to make a suitable donation using PayPal .

0 0 0

3. Re: Spare wheel sizes. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yes it’s the skinny inflated type.

0 0 0

4. Re: Spare wheel sizes. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    So unless you saw something else about sizes that I missed it won't fit.
    ======

Did this forum help you today? Help make sure it's here next time as well. Just click here to make a suitable donation using PayPal .

1 0 0

5. Re: Spare wheel sizes. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    Why not carry a pre-inflated 195/75R18 "folding" one, as speced for the car? Plus an electric pump to top it off if needed?
    ======

0 0 0

6. Spare wheel sizes. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I actually have one of these. I decided to inflate it the other day,because they don’t fill me with confidence, and discovered it won’t seat onto the bead correctly and that was using my garage compressor, so the 12 volt one in the car has no chance. My local tyre dealer even tried and it took 90psi to get it on the rim. As soon as it deflates again the tyre just falls off the bead. It’s been blown up all weekend to 60psi to see if it will sort itself out but again as soon as I let it down it’s back to square one. Had to resort to a tyre foam as an emergency as I’m away for a few days this week. Glad I checked it when I did. I also have a set of winter wheels/tyres but one of these takes up too much boot space.

0 0 0

7. Re: Spare wheel sizes. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    I think the various factors of large car and small wheel are against you.

The wheel you have is 6.5J / ~165mm across where the bead sits. Hence it'll be a tyre width greater than that and probably 185 for any kind of balance. The narrowest standard tyre and wheel is the 225/65R17 (already noticeable smaller diameter than the other specced ones) - so you need smaller than that to make a space saver worth while. The overall diameter needs to be 725-750mm to be within the standard sizes.

Looking at every size on https://www.giga-tyres.co.uk/overview/tyre-size (which includes space savers like the A6 145/60R20) there are none. if someone did a non-collapsing 195/75R18 you could have that fitted, but as far as I can see they don't.
    ======

1 1 0

8. Re: Spare wheel sizes. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    If I was desperate to have something a bit smaller than a full size wheel, for example traveling abroad, I'd see if some other wheel could fit.

In the past others have fitted Mercedes alloy wheels to various Audis. There are aftermarket steel wheels for the Mercs sized at 112x5 7Jx16 ET39 with 66.mm hub on places like Tyre shop online » FREE DELIVERY » Oponeo.co.uk, so they could perhaps go on. You'd have to look at the way the faces aligned and the bolts settled into the holes. Fitted with a 205/80 tyre it would be a close match to standard Q5.

But a 16" wheel may struggle to fit over brake hardware. May fit easier at the back (possibly smaller gubbins behind it) and you could juggle any failed tyre / wheel to make sure replacement was there, where it may also be happier "trailing" anyway.

You'd probably also be in a precarious insurance position if you were unlucky enough to have an accident afterwards unless you told them at time of taking out policy. With some "temporary use, 50MPH / 80KPH" stickers it should avoid attention of police who might otherwise query it.

EDIT: And using that approach, a Mercedes ML 155/90R18 space saver spare might fit. Sounds a bit skinny, the the Merc is a reasonable size vehicle as well.
    ======

0 0 0