1. Clutch and Dmf Replacement 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi all, as per the title I'm unfortunately in the process of sourcing a clutch and dmf for my wee Golf estate. The main issue is on putting the Reg into multiple suppliers they are getting back 2-3 results usually a Cheaper option of LUK/Sachs and a dearer option of the LUK/Sachs and a solid conversion kit on the odd one.

Would any of you know why there is a price difference and or if possible a part number of the specific items id need as its pickling my brain, even the old mechanic has said hes a tad confused and doesn't know whether to leave ordering the clutch and dmf until we've stripped it out just to be on the safe side.

specifics wise its a 57 plate , 1.9tdi bxe 5 speed estate.

Any input would be appreciated Reg is sj57xpc if any of you fancied having a look, eurocarparts was the first site we checked 3 options on that, pop the reg in youll see what i mean, local parts store had several options too.

cheers all.

edit: done some more digging, cross overs in years some list the clutch as 2003-2009 others list it as 2007-2009 230mm/228mm no idea what the difference is. Luk kit so far seems more common across the sights with part number -
    600 0016 00 says for a 5speed bxe so may just opt for that.
    Last edited by danjwilko; 11-09-2020 at 08:33 AM.

0 0 0

2. Re: Clutch and Dmf Replacement 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    Sachs and LUK are both good - but you can't mix parts: so, no Sachs flywheel combined with LUK pressure plate and so on. On my BKD motor I had a Sachs unit (which I understand was the factory fitment), and i replaced the entire assembly with an LUK part. In my opinion, the LUK is rougher than the Sachs...but other folk may have found differently. Either way, make sure you renew the flywheel bolts, as they are torque-to-yield items, one use only.

0 0 0

3. Re: Clutch and Dmf Replacement 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    And as I understand it, all of these clutch assemblies are 228mm. I would ignore the 230mm as being a bit of a rounding-up thing.

0 0 0

4. Re: Clutch and Dmf Replacement 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    As far i know the 230mm is for the sports models with a different gearbox

0 0 0

5. Re: Clutch and Dmf Replacement 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    If you wanted to go the Single mass flywheel route (to avoid future DMF problems), VALEO have the 835035 Clutch Kit and it works very well.

0 0 0

6. Re: Clutch and Dmf Replacement 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dekhelia View Post
    Sachs and LUK are both good - but you can't mix parts: so, no Sachs flywheel combined with LUK pressure plate and so on. On my BKD motor I had a Sachs unit (which I understand was the factory fitment), and i replaced the entire assembly with an LUK part. In my opinion, the LUK is rougher than the Sachs...but other folk may have found differently. Either way, make sure you renew the flywheel bolts, as they are torque-to-yield items, one use only.
    Made sure I ordered the matching dmf and clutch, not to bad price wise in the end. Now just need to sort out a day off to get it sorted.

Quite a few conflicting reports suggesti my the luk if it fails will take out the gearbox, and the Sachs clutches having issues with the spring plate and eating into the gearbox. So was sort of unsure which way to go but it seemed like most of the issues were Sachs and 6 speed.

Out of interest at what mileage did you do yours? Is it still ok?

0 0 0

7. Re: Clutch and Dmf Replacement 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tditaff View Post
    If you wanted to go the Single mass flywheel route (to avoid future DMF problems), VALEO have the 835035 Clutch Kit and it works very well.
    I was going to go down this route but heard to many problems with the gearbox after, donÂ’t know if they lightened the components in the gearbox or made them cheaper due to not having to deal with as much stress thanks to the dmf taking out some of the initial torsion and vibration. If it was still the same gearbox as previous models without it then IÂ’d most certainly consider it.

0 0 0

8. Re: Clutch and Dmf Replacement 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    If we can remove passion, emotion and wishful thinking, in a purely mechanical way a clutch is the mechanism to connect the engine to the gearbox/drivetrain, it can't effect the downstream components (unless it's faulty).
    The Dual mass flywheel was invented to reduce vibrations from the 'lumpy' diesel 4 cylinder engine but by it's complexity has weaknesses and when it fails it's an expensive item to replace.
    Replacing it with a Single mass flywheel eliminates those potential weaknesses and very slightly increases the cabin noise/vibration but only at idle, when driving there is no difference whatsover.
    I've been told many stories by 'mechanics' (when I enquired about replacing the DMF) that the SMF can't handle the torque or that it will destroy the gearbox etc. etc. it's complete bs and just a way for them to make money in replacing the DMF knowing that they will likely have to replace it again in future (plus they probably make more with the parts).
    Be happy with your decision, I am.

0 0 0

9. Re: Clutch and Dmf Replacement 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tditaff View Post
    If we can remove passion, emotion and wishful thinking, in a purely mechanical way a clutch is the mechanism to connect the engine to the gearbox/drivetrain, it can't effect the downstream components (unless it's faulty).
    The Dual mass flywheel was invented to reduce vibrations from the 'lumpy' diesel 4 cylinder engine but by it's complexity has weaknesses and when it fails it's an expensive item to replace.
    Replacing it with a Single mass flywheel eliminates those potential weaknesses and very slightly increases the cabin noise/vibration but only at idle, when driving there is no difference whatsover.
    I've been told many stories by 'mechanics' (when I enquired about replacing the DMF) that the SMF can't handle the torque or that it will destroy the gearbox etc. etc. it's complete bs and just a way for them to make money in replacing the DMF knowing that they will likely have to replace it again in future (plus they probably make more with the parts).
    Be happy with your decision, I am.
    I'd concur with all of this. I fitted an SMF to a MK3 Mondeo not so long back, and genuinely felt no difference in operation, NVH or anything. And those Ford diesels are pretty agricultural imo, way rougher than the VW PD units, which have infinitely superior injection control.

0 0 0

10. Re: Clutch and Dmf Replacement 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by danjwilko View Post
    Made sure I ordered the matching dmf and clutch, not to bad price wise in the end. Now just need to sort out a day off to get it sorted.

Quite a few conflicting reports suggesti my the luk if it fails will take out the gearbox, and the Sachs clutches having issues with the spring plate and eating into the gearbox. So was sort of unsure which way to go but it seemed like most of the issues were Sachs and 6 speed.

Out of interest at what mileage did you do yours? Is it still ok?
    I changed the clutch and flywheel pretty much only because a) it was an engine swap with a unit that had been stood for a couple of years - so even though it was a low-miler, the clutch had seen its best days, and b) because I was in that belt and braces frame of mind. The flywheel, on the other hand, was well within tolerance (you need to be able to 'flex' it by fewer than 5 teeth on the starter ring). So I put in an LUK clutch and flywheel, and while it has been great for the 2000 miles since installation, I do find it to be a bit unrefined. To the point where I wish I'd either used Sachs, or done an SMF conversion. You live and learn. Although it might be pertinent that I bought a *very* cheap DMF and clutch combo from an LUK reseller in Italy: I think they are factory rejects, judging by the various imperfections, so....you get what you pays for, right?

0 0 0