Notices

User Tag List

Thread: 18000 - Altitude Sensor / Boost Pressure Sensor P1592 - 35-00 - Implausible Correlation 17564 - Manifold Pressure Sensor (G71) P1156 - 35-10 - Open/Sh

1. 18000 - Altitude Sensor / Boost Pressure Sensor P1592 - 35-00 - Implausible Correlation 17564 - Manifold Pressure Sensor (G71) P1156 - 35-10 - Open/Sh 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    Car's gone into limp mode and the following fault codes have appeared since the work carried out by the garage in this thread
    https://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/195535-Coolant-leak-what-is-part-this-called-and-is-it-realistic-for-me-to-attempt-to-fix/page2

18000 - Altitude Sensor / Boost Pressure Sensor
    P1592 - 35-00 - Implausible Correlation
    17564 - Manifold Pressure Sensor (G71)
    P1156 - 35-10 - Open/Short to Ground - Intermittent
    (full scan attached)

I think the G71 sensor is one the garage will have had to disconnect when changing the flange in the thread mentioned above

This same MAP sensor also seems to be referred to as boost pressure sensor or G31?

I'm not sure what to make of the boost pressure implausible correlation error - looked it up on the ross-tech wiki
    18000/P1592/005522 - Ross-Tech Wiki

and the 17564/p1156 didn't seem to have an entry? only found this forum mention it?
    https://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread.php?22158-VW-POLO-2004-multiple-engine-fault-codes

Car's booked in to go back to the garage that did the coolant flange on Tuesday so I guess I shouldn't use VCDS to to clear the codes before then.

Picture of MAP
    Shared album - ian lovatt - Google Photos

I've been doing some digging around on here and on youtube and realised you can test the MAP by measuring the voltages as in here Vw Diesel P1156 Map sensor - YouTube

At the moment when probing the connector on the loom side with the ignition on I have
    1 (Brown) ground
    2 +5V
    3 +5V
    4 0V (as this is the signal fed back to the ECU that seems to make sense to me)

I didn't have time to try varying the pressure and seeing what values change in VCDS which would confirm the signal on pin 4 is ok

another thread on this topic
    https://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/s...e-Sensor-(G71)

Cheers,
    Ian
    Attached Files

0 0 0

2. Re: 18000 - Altitude Sensor / Boost Pressure Sensor P1592 - 35-00 - Implausible Correlation 17564 - Manifold Pressure Sensor (G71) P1156 - 35-10 - Ope 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    My original MAP:
    Shared album - ian lovatt - Google Photos

Apart from the price does anyone know what the difference is between these
    BOSCH 0 281 002 976 Sensor, boost pressure buy cheap online
    and
    BOSCH 0 281 002 401 Sensor, boost pressure buy cheap online

?

Thanks,
    Ian

EDIT: Just noticed one is out of stock! Maybe the more expensive is an old version that's gone EOL...

0 0 0

3. Re: 18000 - Altitude Sensor / Boost Pressure Sensor P1592 - 35-00 - Implausible Correlation 17564 - Manifold Pressure Sensor (G71) P1156 - 35-10 - Ope 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    ======

Did this forum help you today? Help make sure it's here next time as well. Just click here to make a suitable donation using PayPal .

1 1 0

4. Re: 18000 - Altitude Sensor / Boost Pressure Sensor P1592 - 35-00 - Implausible Correlation 17564 - Manifold Pressure Sensor (G71) P1156 - 35-10 - Ope 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks VAG-abound I hadn't seen that thread. I've been playing with VCDS this evening and trying to rule out the ground. The ground return I measured between the connector and the battery terminal was 15ohm or less. The IAT seemed ok as it didn't seem too low ~18degC (if anything on the warm side for north yorks this evening) as it matched the fuel temp (top right in image below). The car was a bit warm still from being driven earlier. When I disconnected the MAP the IAT went to 135degC (bottom left).

However I couldn't get MAP pressure to vary from atmospheric pressure (f96) (both remained at 996). As I don't have the proper kit I tried attaching a tube and sucking/blowing a bit plus applying pressure from a bike pump (top left). I thought the pressure reading on the MAP would jump when I disconnected it but as you can see in the bottom left image the intake pressure stays at 996 even when the IAT has jumped to 135. Not sure what to make of that? Does it latch the last reading it got or something? When I turned the engine on again both sensors remained at 996 (bottom right image). When I revved the engine both readings remained at 996.

The lack of variation in MAP has me confused despite trying to apply pressure/vacuum, disconnect it and with varying the throttle when the engine was running. Is the MAP faulty? or is there a leak in the manifold somewhere? Neither? Both?

Off to the garage with it tomorrow so see what they make of it.

Cheers,
    Ian
    Attached Images

0 0 0

5. Re: 18000 - Altitude Sensor / Boost Pressure Sensor P1592 - 35-00 - Implausible Correlation 17564 - Manifold Pressure Sensor (G71) P1156 - 35-10 - Ope 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    Garage have cleared the fault codes but the turbo is still not spooling up. Boost pressure error comes back. I think the MAP one could be a red-herring and is only due to the garage not connecting it properly after they changed the head coolant flange.

To answer my own question above G31 is the boost pressure sensor and it is not the same as the MAP G71. The boost one lives here:
    Question Boost Pressure Sensor Location

The garage think it could be something wrong with the turbo or EGR.

Ian

0 0 0

6. Re: 18000 - Altitude Sensor / Boost Pressure Sensor P1592 - 35-00 - Implausible Correlation 17564 - Manifold Pressure Sensor (G71) P1156 - 35-10 - Ope 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    I'm getting confused . So you now have only the 18000 error?

15 Ohm to earth sounds high. If still a problem you could try a pin through relevant wire at sensor to connect a new temporary earth to battery.
    Last edited by VAG-Abound; 08-09-2020 at 10:21 PM.
    ======

Did this forum help you today? Help make sure it's here next time as well. Just click here to make a suitable donation using PayPal .

0 0 0

7. Re: 18000 - Altitude Sensor / Boost Pressure Sensor P1592 - 35-00 - Implausible Correlation 17564 - Manifold Pressure Sensor (G71) P1156 - 35-10 - Ope 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    Yes I think the MAP is ok but I don't know this for certain as I have about 4 hours experience on this topic! The lack of any oomph from the turbo and the boost pressure sensor related fun definitely remains (18000). From what the garage explained to me the boost error is along the lines of the ECU thinks the turbo should be spooling but the pressure sensor indicates it isn't hence the "implausible correlation".

Maybe they're completely wrong about this. I notice the ross-tech wiki page for the 18000 I linked to above doesn't say check the turbo...

I guess checking some readings from the boost sensor would indicate whether the sensor is faulty or whether the readings it is giving are confusing the ECU as they show the turbo isn't doing anything.

0 0 0

8. Re: 18000 - Altitude Sensor / Boost Pressure Sensor P1592 - 35-00 - Implausible Correlation 17564 - Manifold Pressure Sensor (G71) P1156 - 35-10 - Ope 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    This helped explain what the "implausible correlation" means
    EOS/Golf MkV fault code P1592 - Altitude/Boost Press. Sensor. Implausible Correlation | Volkswagen Eos Forum

From what's said there I think I must have a more severe case where the divergence between the boost and MAP sensors is significant enough to bring on the warning light and activate limp mode every time the ignition is turned on.

0 0 0

9. Re: 18000 - Altitude Sensor / Boost Pressure Sensor P1592 - 35-00 - Implausible Correlation 17564 - Manifold Pressure Sensor (G71) P1156 - 35-10 - Ope 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    If I'm reading the method there correctly it's discussing the difference of 45mV and 225mV across the ground path of the 13.2V from the battery, compared wit the rest dropping across the 22ohm resistor. If you had your 15ohm in series with the 22ohm you'd be getting about 4.5V - 20 times higher than 225mV! I'd be double checking that path if I were you.

3m of 0.35 wire should be ~0.15ohm if I crunched the numbers correctly. With some fiddle factors for shorter wire and multiple connections - did you have the decimal point in the right place ?
    ======

0 1 0

10. Re: 18000 - Altitude Sensor / Boost Pressure Sensor P1592 - 35-00 - Implausible Correlation 17564 - Manifold Pressure Sensor (G71) P1156 - 35-10 - Ope 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    Thought I should follow up on this in case it helps anyone in the future plus it gives me a sense of closure and I can move on from this confusing episode.

Garage fitted a new bosch MAP sensor (0 281 002 401) and the car's been fine since.

I'm not quit sure what was wrong with things in the past but given the corrosion on one of the pins on the connector I wonder if the signal was getting mangled once the engine was running and things were jiggling around? As I said both boost and MAP just sat at 996 in VCDS when the car went into limp mode and despite trying to simulate a change on the MAP blowing in the bit of tube I attached it never budged. Why VCDS ever got that reading of 996 I don't know - perhaps it was just the last good reading the unit that VCDS talks to had cached? Either way once I plugged the laptop in with the new MAP both the MAP and boost sat at 996 with the MAP occasionally jumping to 1004 (or 1008 I forget). This looked suspiciously to me like the ADC reading somewhere was notching up and down 1 click which translated to a change in 8 or12mbar. Anyhow it definitely felt like the value was updating in "real time" and the two readings were close enough not to cause the "implausible correlation".

Who knows maybe the curse of the worn out wires and varying resistance mentioned in some of the other posts related to this topic will come and get me eventually but for now (touch wood) it seems a new MAP has brought the turbo back.

Cheers for all the help from people on this

Ian

0 0 0