Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Hi guys,

Water pools on the rear door seals of my wife's car along the sill. It's not enough to leak through but when I open the door, some of it runs into the foot well.

A few Google search results suggest it's the door speaker seals and there is now a fix available, however the dealership are being less then helpful because it is out of warranty and want to first charge for a diagnostics before they will investigate the water issue.

Does anyone have experience with this and what the fix involves?

0 0 0

2. Re: Golf Mk7 66 Plate Rear Door Leak 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Update:

I removed the door cards and was going to spray the door to see if I can identify the leak, but there was an obvious water stain running directly from the underside of each speaker.

IMG-20200912-WA0001.jpg

Annoyingly both speakers are cracked around the mounting rim so I called VW and they want £37 ea. I didn't think this was too bad however, installing them would tricky with the rivets because there is no way to evenly apply the force to compress the seal at all 4 fixing holes, so I'd probably end up breaking the new ones.

With the speakers removed and all holes temporarily sealed, I've designed a ring that I'll 3D print and glue onto the back of the speaker to strengthen the rim. I'll get some photos and report back on the outcome should anyone be having the same issue.

0 0 0

3. Re: Golf Mk7 66 Plate Rear Door Leak 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Yes a very common issue on 4 door Golf 7’s. At the beginning of lockdown I had to recover a dead Golf 7 owned by a doctor who had been volunteering abroad and had come back to get stuck in here. The car was covered in mould all over the inside and the rear floors full of water, condensation had got into the relay panel behind the glovebox and shut down the main power relay killing just about everything.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

4. Re: Golf Mk7 66 Plate Rear Door Leak 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks for the information.

Do you know how the leak was repaired?

0 0 0

5. Re: Golf Mk7 66 Plate Rear Door Leak 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    I haven't done it yet, he came back for an MOT but does not seem concerned about the mouldy swimming pool in the back. I see it every day as he lives around the corner.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

6. Re: Golf Mk7 66 Plate Rear Door Leak 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    It must stink

0 0 0

7. Re: Golf Mk7 66 Plate Rear Door Leak 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    When I first had it in at the beginning of lockdown it was just furry all over the inside but when we MOT'd it a few weeks ago it was humming.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

8. Re: Golf Mk7 66 Plate Rear Door Leak 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Repaired: I have managed to resolve this issue for about £15 and 4 hours effort.

The rings I 3D printed worked extremely well. I used Araldite to fix them onto the back of the speakers; the mounting face on both rear speakers was cracked and had pieces missing but once dried, they were as good as new.

For the seal I had some adhesive 4mm thick x 10mm wide closed cell foam which I put around the outside and used Dow 191 sealant to make up the rest of the face seal.

Fixing them to the doors was done with M4 u-clips and M4x20 Pozi pan head screws. I did intend to put the u-clips over the panel (as they are supposed to be used) but the holes didn't line up.

Instead I removed the access panel held them on the inside of the rear doors, which incidentally was a better outcome as the flat end of the u-clip sat nicely on the lip of the door aperture and stopped it from rotating.

I had to use Araldite to fix them behind the holes on the front doors because I couldn't reach. I also used about half as much sealant on the front speakers because there was a lot squeezed through around the rear speakers that I ended up tearing off when dry.

The rings are 2.2mm thick so I removed the foam from the door panel speaker cover recess. It probably would've squeezed on but I didn't have any spare clips, just in case I broke one.

20200919_173101.jpg 20200920_101709.jpg 20200920_113828.jpg 20201001_125902.jpg
    Attached Images
    Last edited by jdragon; 03-10-2020 at 05:13 PM. Reason: added photo of u-clips glues to front door

0 0 0

9. Re: Golf Mk7 66 Plate Rear Door Leak 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    I may be in the same boat all be it a leaking one... I was driving home from work today and had 7 warnings pop up, ABS, TPMS, hill assist, ACC, Start-Stop, Brake workshop.

I have a feeling this is due to the moisture in the car? can anyone help i have lost confidence in it after only purchasing it in September, with Crashers previous post about electrics im interested to know whether i need to get my money back has the car been damaged due to this? I also weirdly found water in the driver side mini glove compartment?

my floor is wet on the driver footwell only as far as i can tell.

0 0 0

10. Re: Golf Mk7 66 Plate Rear Door Leak 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimA4B6 View Post
    I may be in the same boat all be it a leaking one... I was driving home from work today and had 7 warnings pop up, ABS, TPMS, hill assist, ACC, Start-Stop, Brake workshop.

I have a feeling this is due to the moisture in the car? can anyone help i have lost confidence in it after only purchasing it in September, with Crashers previous post about electrics im interested to know whether i need to get my money back has the car been damaged due to this? I also weirdly found water in the driver side mini glove compartment?

my floor is wet on the driver footwell only as far as i can tell.
    Did you get this resolved?

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast