1. Rear Subframe Mounts 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)
    Just wondering if anyone has changed these. Looks like I will need to drop the whole rear subframe although was wondering if they can be changed by just lowering a little then cutting them out 1 at a time. 2 of them are knackered so going to do all 4 but just looking to find anyone that has done them before as I cannot find anything anywhere on them.
    Current Vehicles

Passat B6 Estate 170PD (Bluefin Installed 200BHP) BMR Highline
    Aprilia RSV 1000 Factory

0 0 0

2. Re: Rear Subframe Mounts 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshall1975 View Post
    Just wondering if anyone has changed these. Looks like I will need to drop the whole rear subframe although was wondering if they can be changed by just lowering a little then cutting them out 1 at a time. 2 of them are knackered so going to do all 4 but just looking to find anyone that has done them before as I cannot find anything anywhere on them.
    I've had the whole rear axle off to replace the upper control arms which seize in the bushes, like many other Passat rear suspension parts.

You mean these? Or the bushes themselves?

Screenshot_20200827_183230.jpg

That hold this on...

Screenshot_20200827_183404.jpg

Yes know a lot about the entire rear end on these but have not had to replace the actual rubbers which are still good on mine.
    Mad Mitch
    VW Passat 2.0 Tdi Sport 170 BMR Engine, JPQ G/Box, DSG
    Premium Phone Kit, MFSW, Alarm Chirps, Rain Closure, Auto Close
    Emergency Braking Light Flash, Spots as DRLs. VCDS + MicroCAN, 200K Club

0 0 0

3. Re: Rear Subframe Mounts 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)
    The actual bushes mate. Just wondering if I would be able to cut them out which should not be a problem but i'm not sure I would be able to get them back in with the sub frame just lowered a little. I don't have an issue dropping the whole thing but would be nice to not have to lol.
    Current Vehicles

Aprilia RSV 1000 Factory

0 0 0

4. Re: Rear Subframe Mounts 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)
    Just looking at the 2nd picture you put up and it certainly looks far easier to just lower the whole thing. I have a couple of 3 ton jacks so should not be an issue.
    Current Vehicles

Aprilia RSV 1000 Factory

0 0 0

5. Re: Rear Subframe Mounts 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)
    I don't suppose you have the part number for the 4 bolts and plates that you have shown in the picture.
    Current Vehicles

Aprilia RSV 1000 Factory

0 0 0

6. Re: Rear Subframe Mounts 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)
    I don't suppose you have the part number for the 4 bolts and plates that you have shown in the picture.
    Mine is a saloon so they might be different. I just had the old man pop down to the dealer to get them as they are mates and mates = discount!
    Mad Mitch

0 0 0

7. Re: Rear Subframe Mounts 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)
    I will give VW a bell in the morning. Looking at the second photo you put up seems pretty straight forward dropping the whole subframe leaving everything attached. What sort of time did it take you to drop it.
    Current Vehicles

Aprilia RSV 1000 Factory

0 0 0

8. Re: Rear Subframe Mounts 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)
    I will give VW a bell in the morning. Looking at the second photo you put up seems pretty straight forward dropping the whole subframe leaving everything attached. What sort of time did it take you to drop it.
    Wasn't difficult and the easiest access to the upper control arms as they needed cutting off from above. Took me and my 75 year old pappa around 2 to 3 hours but we take our time. I replaced all bolts and washers at the same time so that I could set the rear alignment properly which is impossible with seized eccentric bolts and washers.

Took some time to mark the position of the trailing arm mounts as they have to go back on exactly where they were before and I have a set of alignment pegs (T10096 equivalents) to align the subframe which are darn useful, some say essential. Bolt out alignment pin in, repeat 4 times, supporting the frame. I disconnected the brake line at the rear NS and stuck a premade blanking cap over the ends (a brake union with a small piece of brake pipe, flared and cut off at the other end then the end folded over and clamped tight).

The upper control arms, the ones in a sycle shape are 2 of the 4 rear alignment parts, the other 2 being the inner wishbone bolts all of which have eccentric washers for adjusting camber and to an extent rear toe. Bad rear alignment on a B6 wagon version will eat tyres fast. As you can see from the photo the springs were removed first and the shock unbolted and tied through their eyelets to stop them over extending. The lower shock bolts are renewable and easy to cross thread so make sure any new bolts go back in straight.

And we made a wooden support beam to keep the frame level also. Block of wood measured to fit perfectly in the frame recess and the right height to allow it to be screwed to another longer piece extending to provide level support under the tubular frame once the jack is placed underneath. Worked a treat, you can just make it out on the jack in the photo.

Good luck.
    Mad Mitch

0 1 0

9. Re: Rear Subframe Mounts 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)
    Managed to do it on my own in a day. Was pretty straight forward to be fair. Had a bit of fun changing the bushes thats for sure. Forgot to use alignment pins so had to line it up best I could by eye. When I took it for alignment it was almost spot on lol.
    Current Vehicles

Aprilia RSV 1000 Factory

0 0 0

10. Re: Rear Subframe Mounts 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)
    Managed to do it on my own in a day. Was pretty straight forward to be fair. Had a bit of fun changing the bushes thats for sure. Forgot to use alignment pins so had to line it up best I could by eye. When I took it for alignment it was almost spot on lol.
    Good stuff - If you left the control arms and wishbones alone after dropping the whole frame then the only alignment issue, if it was aligned well before, would be to the centre line as the camber and toe would remain untouched i.e. if you get the whole frame centred to the car front and back all else will be good by default.
    Mad Mitch

0 0 0