1. Thrumming, humming noise from almost new Skoda Octavia 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Two days ago, I got a 3 year old Skoda Octavia esatae 1.4 petriol DSG with 7k recorded miles. It's like new.

There is a thrumming, humming noise that happens between 50mph and 70 mph only. I can't feel any vibration through the streeing wheel and only a very slight - if at all - vibration through the pedals. The tyres show no uneven wear and look almost new anyway.

I'll get back o the selling garage (6 month guarantee) and also a Skoda main dealer (as the manufacturer's warranty has 2 days before expiry).

I will get the Tracking-steering geometry and wheel balancing checked out anyway but my previous experiences with those issues are that the vibration is usually more obvious and occurs within a narrower speed band (say 58-62mph). I'd think the bearing are unlikely to show much wear and tear at only 7k miles.

I'm worried in case it could be a problem with the DSG.

Any tips would be appreciated - so I have some any more ideas when talking to the seller and the Skoda people.

0 0 0

2. Re: Thrumming, humming noise from almost new Skoda Octavia 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1813 Post(s)
    If it has sat for a long period the tyres may have flat spotted.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 1 0

3. Re: Thrumming, humming noise from almost new Skoda Octavia 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thank you Crasher.

It turns out that just before we bought it, the car was involved in some kind of incident - maybe a big kerb bash. This seems to have bent one drive shaft slightly. Viewed from underneath by our officail authorised Skoda dealer, this causes the gearbox to move slightly up and down. We are talking about a slight movement only but enough to cause thrumming and some vibration between 50 and 70mph. With hindsight - isn't that a wonderful thing - some possible tell tale signs were slight mis-alignment of headlight cluster, specs of adhesive left by masking tape, rear tyres showing more wear than front tyres, rear wheel rim showing many move scuffs v front wheel. We've rejected the car <30 days but may need to speak to our bank re card chargeback and / or Section 75 CCA remedies.

0 0 0

4. Re: Thrumming, humming noise from almost new Skoda Octavia 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Sure it could be a front wheel bearing, my 6k GTD made the same noise at 55-65, turned out to be the nearside front although there was no discernable play.
    Audi A6 AllRoad 2.5tdi (sold) Golf mk5 2.0 Gttdi 4 motion (sold)
    Jaguar S type 2.7d Sport (sold)Golf mk4 1.9 Gttdi (sold)
    Audi A6 1.9 Sport (sold)
    Golf mk6 GTD (sold)
    Golf mk7 GTD

0 0 0

5. Re: Thrumming, humming noise from almost new Skoda Octavia 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1813 Post(s)
    You hardly ever get play in Gen 2 and 3 wheel bearings.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0