Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathanfenton View Post
    Always the better the devil you know in my opinion.

I'm the same. Our 53 plate Touran is still on my keeper list as it has been very reliable overall, and is a well understood platform for fixing most things.

Having said that I found the radiator fans running full tilt on drive with car off (and not driven for a week or two) the other day. A couple of drives out seem to have fixed it, so putting it down to wind and rain leading to water messing something up temporarily that has now dried out. If the various control units are starting to play up it will probably be the end of an enjoyable relationship though.
    ======

Did this forum help you today? Help make sure it's here next time as well. Just click here to make a suitable donation using PayPal .

0 1 0

2. Re: Money Pit, Scrap or Repair? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)
    Still got my 2006 A3 220k miles. Love the damn thing, had it since it was 3 years old. Still comes up like new because I’ve looked after it.

0 1 0

3. Re: Money Pit, Scrap or Repair? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Still got my 2006 A3 220k miles. Love the damn thing, had it since it was 3 years old. Still comes up like new because I’ve looked after it.
    Looks lovely, bought mine on 206k. My neighbour used to be a mechanic now aircraft tech and swears by the 1.9tdi or older VAG cars. His old A4 has 270k+ on the clock and never see it off the road. I was bias to lower mileage cars until his advice. My cars last known service was at 177k and was overdue 2 cambelt changes when I got it but it drives nice and engine seems in good nic I think so hopefully many more miles to come.

Your mileage is similar to mine, If any, what suspension work have you had to do on yours since owning it?

0 0 0

4. Re: Money Pit, Scrap or Repair? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)
    New shocks all round, changed the wishbone bushes for solid inners from darkside which I kinda regret as ride is quite hard now, was already stiffer as it’s got sports suspension now it’s pretty hard and it goes through me when I hit a pothole but it is a lot more positive now when chucking it round a corner a bit too fast! The shocks where the real ‘shock’ hadn’t realised how soft they had got. Felt difference pulling down my road, couldn’t believe the difference, it’s on rails again. Same springs and top mounts etc. Roll bars looks terrible but it’s so old. Would love to take it off and powder coat it but I think it’s a subframe drop job which let’s face it who can be ***** lol.

0 1 0

5. Re: Money Pit, Scrap or Repair? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    New shocks all round, changed the wishbone bushes for solid inners from darkside which I kinda regret as ride is quite hard now, was already stiffer as it’s got sports suspension now it’s pretty hard and it goes through me when I hit a pothole but it is a lot more positive now when chucking it round a corner a bit too fast! The shocks where the real ‘shock’ hadn’t realised how soft they had got. Felt difference pulling down my road, couldn’t believe the difference, it’s on rails again. Same springs and top mounts etc. Roll bars looks terrible but it’s so old. Would love to take it off and powder coat it but I think it’s a subframe drop job which let’s face it who can be ***** lol.
    Wow not too bad then, amazed you haven't had to replace any ball joints etc.

Did you use a ball joint separator to remove the arms to put new bushes in? I've been looking at doing this granted the ball joints are in okay condition.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

0 0 0

6. Re: Money Pit, Scrap or Repair? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)
    The balljoints on the A3 8p are mounted to the wishbone with three studs and bolts. Using a rattle gun to break the rust you can just undo the three nuts and the wishbone drops down. Then hydrolic press the bushes out. Seem to recall snapping a stud once over so will have replaced the odd ball joint on it. Near side front bearing went ever so slightly noisy at around 120k so I changed it but offside front is original.

0 0 0

7. Re: Money Pit, Scrap or Repair? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    The balljoints on the A3 8p are mounted to the wishbone with three studs and bolts. Using a rattle gun to break the rust you can just undo the three nuts and the wishbone drops down. Then hydrolic press the bushes out. Seem to recall snapping a stud once over so will have replaced the odd ball joint on it. Near side front bearing went ever so slightly noisy at around 120k so I changed it but offside front is original.
    Ah that's so lucky. I absolutely hate how each corner of my A4 has 4 wishbones which all have ball joints that arn't removable, throw away items :/

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

0 0 0

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12