1. A3 2.0L TDI Maintenance Thread 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Apologies if similar thread already exists - I'll delete it if so (if possible)

I have a 2015 plate A3 2.0L TDI 184PS front wheel drive, 26500 miles - I typically do 7000 miles per year - so will be ~42000 miles in 2 years time.
    Currently thinking to trade-in (offered £12500) or keep, depending on expected maintenance costs for next two or three years.
    Can anyone help with typical £££ issues expected to arise with this model, other than routine MOT & servicing (oil/brake fluid/coolant)?

So far I've got:

Replace all brake discs & pads very soon (£600) - Brake discs now making scraping noise due to rust - still plenty thickness left on discs, maybe ~5mm on front pads
    Brake caliper replacement likely?
    Shock Absorber replacement likely?
    Timing belt change not yet done & not required until 133,000 odd miles (albeit UK dealers like to tell us every 5 years....)
    Spark plugs not applicable
    Fuel filter not req'd til 57000 miles
    DPF not required til 133000 miles
    Read problems on other forums regarding heater only giving out cold air due to problems with heater matrix
    Anything else gratefully received

Should I get DPF cleaned?? As it does regularly go into limp mode, need to stop and restart her & take for a run - aware that low mileage doesn't help that.

Can anyone confirm that Haldex Coupling Oil change is only applicable to the four-wheel drive version? The Audi manual isn't clear on that.

Cheers
    Hope it helps others to forward plan

0 0 0

2. Re: A3 2.0L TDI Maintenance Thread 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    That timing belt is probably due at 5 years. Be careful.

0 0 0

3. Re: A3 2.0L TDI Maintenance Thread 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vag_tech View Post
    That timing belt is probably due at 5 years. Be careful.
    Why would that be? Genuine question. No mention of 5 year intervals from Audi themselves.
    Any thoughts on my other points?

Cheers

0 0 0

4. Re: A3 2.0L TDI Maintenance Thread 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by futtret View Post
    Why would that be? Genuine question. No mention of 5 year intervals from Audi themselves.
    Any thoughts on my other points?

Cheers
    If you PM reg - I'll double check interval against manufactures schedule. VAG generally always quote a mileage/time allowance.

0 0 0

5. Re: A3 2.0L TDI Maintenance Thread 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Manufacturer-specified interval confirmed:
    Timing belt - Renew - Every 140000 miles or 60 months. Your vehicle has engine code: CUNA.

0 1 0

6. Re: A3 2.0L TDI Maintenance Thread 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    Irrespective of the debate on aging of belt due to time and heat rather than mileage I take the view that if there's a fair chance you'll need it sometime in the next few years of ownership do it now. No point delaying it a year and only getting (say) one year of worry free driving from it when you could change it now and get two years.

I wouldn't expect calipers to need doing until a decade or longer old. One on our 2003 Touran is now sticking a bit. Discs may well be OK for another few years at the mileage you do. Pads perhaps will need a change. Shocks and springs will depend somewhat on roads, but fair chance they will last quite a bit longer.

As you hint at re the heater matrix, an unexpected, vehicle specific fault is more likely to sway the economics of keep / swap than any regular maintenance item. But newer cars can have those after a few years as well.
    ======

Did this forum help you today? Help make sure it's here next time as well. Just click here to make a suitable donation using PayPal .

0 1 0

7. Re: A3 2.0L TDI Maintenance Thread 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Only 4motion (4 wheel drive) models have haldex, so If Yours is FWD - it's not applicable to You.

Audi A4 B9 3.0 TDi quattro 200 kw

0 1 0

8. Re: A3 2.0L TDI Maintenance Thread 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    The heater matrix used in the MQB platform (A3 8V, Golf 7 etc) is a joke, thankfully it is not a dash out job to replace.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 1 0

9. Re: A3 2.0L TDI Maintenance Thread 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    2015 2.0L TDI 26500 miles
    Failed MOT due to cracked rear coil spring, asked to see it, was cracked right at bottom connection to axle/chassis. £83 fully fitted.

Now planning a DIY oil & filter change.
    The filter is an awkward location - accessed from underneath, upside down behind the radiator fan
    Need to unclip 2 or 3 cable clips to get an extended socket (32mm socket) on it

Can anyone confirm whether the oil filter should be drained & removed BEFORE or AFTER removing the plug from the main sump and whether there is a reason for said sequence?

My proposal is:

- Open the oil cap on top of engine (to prevent a vaccum when draining oil out the bottom)
    - Remove the plug from the filter housing, to drain the oil sitting in the filter
    - Remove the filter housing & filter
    - Replace & fully reinstall the filter & its housing, c/w new lubricated seal on housing & on plug
    - Remove plug from main sump & drain oil
    - Install new plug in main sump

Thoughts & comments welcome
    Cheers

0 0 0

10. Re: A3 2.0L TDI Maintenance Thread 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VAG-Abound View Post
    Irrespective of the debate on aging of belt due to time and heat rather than mileage.....
    Has anyone here actually seen a 5 year old VAG timing belt and had any cause for concern on its inspection?
    Just as an observation, I note that for a 2.0tdi Ford Focus, it's due for replacement at 100k miles or 10 years.
    Ford must have a better supplier of reinforced rubber or are trying to use that as a 'selling point', i.e. less maintenance costs.

Quote Originally Posted by VAG-Abound View Post
    Discs may well be OK for another few years at the mileage you do.
    Advisory from MoT
    They will need replaced within a year
    I think the lack of mileage is part of the problem - it allows the corrosion take hold, rather than getting ground off by regular braking.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast