Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi all,
    Bought a 2005 Passat TDI Estate back in June and have been working on it's many issues for many weeks. (I can describe these if anyone is interested).
    My first 'starter' question is this :- It has the original radio/CD player as far as I can see, but I have no code for it. I take it this means that if I disconnect the battery, I lose the code and have to pay Volkswagen £30 to retrieve it. I need to know if the radio in this car does in fact have a code and If anybody knows of anyway around this as I need to disconnect the battery soon to do some more work on the car. Any answers would be appreciated, thanks.

0 0 0

2. Re: Joined recently and this is my first post 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Use a code saver, a device plugged into the cigar lighter. VW will (cannot) now give you the code, it was provided with very new car but gets lost.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: Joined recently and this is my first post 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    I think you'll be OK. I've detached the battery on our cars for a few reasons (new battery, de-powering air bags, etc) and both RCD300 and RNS510 come back no problem. I also swapped older RCD300 for a newer MP3 enabled one, but never got around to getting the different fascia trim to suit it so swapped it back a year or so later. Original radio came straight back to life IIRC.

The car and radio "pair" when the code is first entered, so the car can unlock the radio. If you move it to a different car there is no pairing, so code needed.
    Last edited by VAG-Abound; 17-08-2020 at 02:58 AM.
    ======

Did this forum help you today? Help make sure it's here next time as well. Just click here to make a suitable donation using PayPal .

0 0 0

4. Re: Joined recently and this is my first post 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks Crasher for reply, now all I have to find what a code saver is, where to get one and how much they cost.

0 0 0

5. Re: Joined recently and this is my first post 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks VAG-Abound for reply.
    What you say sounds reassuring and gives me encouragement, but before I commit I'll see tomorrow if I can find RCD300 or RNS510, (presumably on a label somewhere on the radio itself?), then I'll definitely go for it ! I'm now concerned that, according to Crasher above, VW cannot/will not supply the code, (contrary to what I was told at the local VWAudi agents who wanted £30 up front), but we'll see.....

0 0 0

6. Re: Joined recently and this is my first post 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    See if you have a booklet in the service manual binder that shows what it is.
    ======

Did this forum help you today? Help make sure it's here next time as well. Just click here to make a suitable donation using PayPal .

0 0 0

7. Re: Joined recently and this is my first post 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brianhw View Post
    all I have to find what a code saver is, where to get one and how much they cost.
    It is just a device you plug into the cigarette lighter or OBD socket obdii memery code saver - Google Search
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

8. Re: Joined recently and this is my first post 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    Connecting a memory saver powers up the whole of the car's electrical system, apart from circuits switched via the ignition key.

This is OK when just using one for a short time to replace the car's battery, but the little dry battery in many of them won't last if used during a long job, as some devices draw a small current all the time, and other items may be unintentionally switched on, such as interior lights switching on when doors are opened, etc, which will soon flatten a small dry battery.

Memory savers are also not recommended by some people for other jobs, such as welding, see StackPath

Some sources say disconnect the battery when welding, others say that the battery helps to avoid voltage spikes in the electrical circuits, so it should be left connected.

As an electrical person, I cannot see any difference between having the car's battery connected and having a memory saver or other battery connected in exactly the same way - between all the car's positive wiring and the car body ("earth").

Even with the battery disconnected there are hundreds of possible pathways for welding currents, from any earth connection, through an electrical item, into the positive wiring, then through another item and back to its earth connection. This can easily happen if there are some earth connections between the area being welded and the welder's earth connection.

The only way to avoid this is to clamp the earth lead of the welder as close as possible to where the welding is to be done, after cleaning and removing paint to ensure a perfect connection.
    Did this forum help you? Help make sure it's here next time! Follow the instructions at the top of the page to make a suitable donation using PayPal .
    1996 A4 B5 (S2) Avant 1.8T (petrol) 150 bhp code AEB automatic with 79,125 kms = 49,450 miles on 30/07/23
    VW T25 Camper, Alfa 33 1.4 ie, 2 Alfa 33's for parts.

0 0 0

9. Re: Joined recently and this is my first post 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks FrenchAudi for informative reply on the subject of memory savers.
    Like you, but being a non-electrical person, I would agree with your reasoning that there is no difference between a connected car battery and a saver being connected in lieu. As it happens I have recently changed the battery in my car and to avoid possible loss of the radio code have connected a 'slave' battery via the cigar outlet while carrying this out. This method is o.k. for doing jobs like this but I want to completely remove the 12v power source.
    Although it's not welding I wish to do in this instance, on previous occasions on other cars I have always kept the earth clamp as close as possible to the area being welded, sometimes disconnecting the battery and sometimes not. Fortunately the electrical system never suffered from any negative (bad pun?!) effects in either case.
    However my quandary still persists re the possible loss of the battery code after battery removal......??

0 0 0

10. Re: Joined recently and this is my first post 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks for link, Crasher,
    I checked out eBay on these and they can be got for less than £20 but it's £20 I'd rather spend on something else the car needs, and this fact, together with what FrenchAudi has to say below, has made me decide not to go down that route unless it turns out that there's no real alternative.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast