1. Re: Front discs, pads, and bearings 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)
    Am jealous! Friend of a friend has a dewalt impact and it just rips hub bolts out for fun..

1 1 0

2. Re: Front discs, pads, and bearings 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathanfenton View Post
    I’ve learnt the hard way with the wishbone bolts, use an impact driver or you’ll just shear them and you’ll need a new ball joint. I’ve tried cleaning and oiling and they still just shear. Using an impact driver they just rattle loose.

Hub bolt, well you need a 1/2 inch socket and a long scaffolding pole like you say. Make sure your socket has a good purchase as the force required to release these is ridiculous.

Your noisy pads, have you made sure you put any anti rattle shims back in? How tight are the pads in the runners? If they are too loose and don’t have any sort of shim they are gonna screech.
    After getting quotes of £150+, I've bought myself an impact wrench in the hope it'll solve all my problems!

The bit that now confuses me is the hub bolt torque is 70nm + 1/4 turn, which to me doesn't sound particularly tight (especially when compared to the 120nm wheel bolts). If 70nm + 1/4 turn is correct, why are they so difficult to remove?!

0 0 0

3. Re: Front discs, pads, and bearings 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)
    There’s 2 different bolts so make sure you have the right torque spec for the right bolt!

0 0 0

4. Re: Front discs, pads, and bearings 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nedski View Post
    The bit that now confuses me is the hub bolt torque is 70nm + 1/4 turn, which to me doesn't sound particularly tight...
    Quote Originally Posted by VAG-Abound View Post
    Not sure if the replacement bolts are same on your car, but on the Golf it is 70Nm for the ones with ribbing under the head. Smooth ones are 200Nm plus 90 degrees.
    I got that a bit wrong actually: +90deg for the ribbed, but +180deg for the smooth.

200Nm + 180deg feels plenty snug by the time you've done it .
    ======

Did this forum help you today? Help make sure it's here next time as well. Just click here to make a suitable donation using PayPal .

0 0 0

5. Re: Front discs, pads, and bearings 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)
    You'd be surprised how much a quarter turn adds in torque but it is only applicable to the 12 point bolt which is a TTY or Torque To Yield bolt (stretchy) and one time use only. Once the quarter turn has stretch tensioned the bolt it will be very tight.

The older hex bolt with thick captive washer has different torque specs.

Explained quite nicely on this site:

https://www.golfmkv.com/forums/index...-point.115093/
    Mad Mitch
    VW Passat 2.0 Tdi Sport 170 BMR Engine, JPQ G/Box, DSG
    Premium Phone Kit, MFSW, Alarm Chirps, Rain Closure, Auto Close
    Emergency Braking Light Flash, Spots as DRLs. VCDS + MicroCAN, 200K Club

0 0 0

6. Re: Front discs, pads, and bearings 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    I found that a bit misleading / confusing as unless I missed it it didn't cover the two types of 12-point bolt. I found this, showing how they vary and the torques for smooth (either hex or 12-point) vs ribbed (only 12-point):

======

Did this forum help you today? Help make sure it's here next time as well. Just click here to make a suitable donation using PayPal .

0 0 0

7. Re: Front discs, pads, and bearings 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VAG-Abound View Post
    I found that a bit misleading / confusing as unless I missed it it didn't cover the two types of 12-point bolt. I found this, showing how they vary and the torques for smooth (either hex or 12-point) vs ribbed (only 12-point):

That article was 10 years ago and I had not realised there are 2 versions of the 12 point bolt just to add confusion to the previous hex versus 12 point ribbed that was introduced when they went away from the 6 point hex with washer.

All of them being one time use probably just to generate more revenue otherwise why not use a high tensile reusable bolt and appropriate torque? Anyone ever had a regular non TTY hub bolt come undone? Our family has had 57 cars in the last 35 years and not one has ever had a regular hub bolt or nut come loose when tightened to the correct spec.
    Mad Mitch
    VW Passat 2.0 Tdi Sport 170 BMR Engine, JPQ G/Box, DSG
    Premium Phone Kit, MFSW, Alarm Chirps, Rain Closure, Auto Close
    Emergency Braking Light Flash, Spots as DRLs. VCDS + MicroCAN, 200K Club

0 0 0

8. Re: Front discs, pads, and bearings 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    I've just checked my bearing kit and I'm relieved that it's ribbed! I'm hoping this means the existing one is the same, and my new impact wrench will make short work of the removal

0 0 0

9. Re: Front discs, pads, and bearings 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    The hub bolt just will not budge 😡 I've tried an impact wrench (£50 off amazon, states 420nm but I'm not so sure!) with impact sockets but it's not moving and I'm worried I'll round off the bolt if I keep trying.

Any last suggestions before I take it to a garage?

0 0 0

10. Front discs, pads, and bearings 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)
    I use a 1.5m scaffolding pole and lift up. It’s on FT so it needs a lot of leverage. The impact drivers that remove these bolts are several hundred pounds, no cheap air or battery impact wrench will have the guts to do it.

0 0 0

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast