1. 1.6tdi 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Afternoon all as the title suggests I’m looking at a 2017 vw golf 1.6 tdi are these engines ok or are they more hassle than they are worth? Also are they affected by the emission update or were these one ok? Oh and last question do they need adblue ? Thanks all for reading
    2006 tdi s jetta reflex silver

0 0 0

2. Re: 1.6tdi 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Ok so the one I’ve looked into I’ve found out was not part of the emission update. But can’t find out if these use Adblue or it inherits the egr problems any ideas anyone?

0 0 0

3. Re: 1.6tdi 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I have both a 2013 Mk7 1.6TDI Eur 5 and a 2016 Mk7 1.6TDI Eur6. Neither of these was affected by the emissions update. I live in a rural area and do not do a high mileage. The 2016 has done 23K miles to date and I have had no problem with EGR or DPF. The 2016 (Eur6) has a more complex EGR system with both a high pressure and low pressure EGR. The 2013 (Eur 5) has only a low pressure EGR and I have not had any problem with it either (up to 30K miles). The exhaust noise (in the car) at revs in low gear is noticeably more raucous in the Eur6, presumably due to the high pressure EGR and noise coming back out of the air intake. I did not really intend to keep both of these cars as long I have but because of the low mileage I have kept them and have had no problems with them. Because they were Eur 5 and Eur 6 when first registered I do not have to pay road tax on either of them (for the life of the car). This has contributed to my decision to keep them. Not necessarily because of the amount of money involved but it was a rare thing to get a gift from Gordon Brown (then chancellor). Neither of them uses Ad-Blue. Because the engines and car are small the emission limits can be met without the need for it. I am very content with both cars.

0 0 0

4. Re: 1.6tdi 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks for the detailed reply on this, I used to be on this site quite a lot, it seems quiet of late. I just wanted to see what people’s thoughts were as vw have had a lot of bad press over the last few years. The last thing I wanted to do was buy a lemon.

0 0 0

5. Re: 1.6tdi 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Buy a Mercedes then and you can jump on the latest emissions claim bandwagon...
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

6. Re: 1.6tdi 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Steve are they any good or not worth the hassle?

0 0 0

7. Re: 1.6tdi 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    So far I have had only one with a clogged DPF due to a failed sensor... so far so good, and it’s a ******* Diesel!
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

8. Re: 1.6tdi 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    That’s not to bad than I was expecting egr stories from hell😳😳😳😳

0 0 0

9. Re: 1.6tdi 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    The earlier ones, the EA189 series we a joke for injector, EGR, turbo, clutch/flywheel etc problems but the later EA288 revision seems less painful so far. I was walking back from the MOT station this morning and a 13 plate Octavia 1.6TDI drove past me and I could tell the emissions recall had been done, it sounded awful! If you do get an EGR/DPF problem with the it is a right big odd looking lump strapped to the back of the engine.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

10. Re: 1.6tdi 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Bring back the old vw diesels with the egr mounted on the top of the engine a lot more simple to work with

0 0 0