Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Hi all,

Yesterday I put new front discs and Pads on my car, my old ones juddered and were below min thickness. After bedding them in this morning I noticed uneven wear. I then checked the old pads and it's the same story. Any idea? it doesn't look good to me. The passenger side has a bigger gap left untouched on the inner, I have't had this before. When I did the brake job I cleaned all the calipers and pins good and used plenty of proper silicone grease for the slide pins. Not long ago I also flushed the brake fluid and bled.

0 0 0

2. Re: New Brakes, Big problem? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)
    Sometimes you need to clean the pots and also make sure the calliper carrier is nice and clean so pad has free movement. How tight were the pads when you put them in?

You’ve also put two of the same pic on.

0 0 0

3. Re: New Brakes, Big problem? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Cheers, what do you mean the pots? as in take the calipers apart and clean inside removing the piston etc? Yeah I gave the carriers a really good clean and i used plenty of lube on the slider pins and also where the pads touch metal.

What do you mean by tight? I put them on the carrier then put the caliper over them. I wound back the piston otherwise it wouldn't have fit no.

Fixed the images

0 0 0

4. Re: New Brakes, Big problem? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)
    Ah I see what you mean now. Did both pads wear evenly? I had a weird one recently where one pot was sticking a tad and made the pad wear unevenly. I had to take both pots out and give them a light sand with emery cloth. Yeah just make sure pad can more freely in the carrier and isn’t too tight and you haven’t got them in the wrong way round or anything.

0 0 0

5. Re: New Brakes, Big problem? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathanfenton View Post
    Ah I see what you mean now. Did both pads wear evenly? I had a weird one recently where one pot was sticking a tad and made the pad wear unevenly. I had to take both pots out and give them a light sand with emery cloth. Yeah just make sure pad can more freely in the carrier and isn’t too tight and you haven’t got them in the wrong way round or anything.
    Yeah I beleive so, pads on each side were both about i think 12.5-13 mm thickness(backplate included). Might have to check exacts. Didn't look like they wore at an angle or anything odd. The pads definetly moved freely when i had them on the carrier, i didnt test for play once I'd put them in but i can only assume fine. How do you put them in the wrong way? oh dear I thought they could go in either side. the pad with the wear sensor and metal bracket fitted into the pot if that makes sense?

Might upload some pics of old pads.

0 0 0

6. Re: New Brakes, Big problem? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)
    If it’s the pads with the spring on then you can’t get them wrong. Only other suggestion is to check flexi hoses for bulges/cracks and to bleed them up so even pressure is being applied. They should wear perfectly even. I’m sure someone else will have more ideas.

0 0 0

7. Re: New Brakes, Big problem? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    If it’s the pads with the spring on then you can’t get them wrong. Only other suggestion is to check flexi hoses for bulges/cracks and to bleed them up so even pressure is being applied. They should wear perfectly even. I’m sure someone else will have more ideas.
    These arn't the ones for my car but I got bosch ones and yeah they had the clip spring thing at the back that goes into the piston. The calipers do have a spring on the outside though like a wire spring holding together. Yeah I not long ago did a full bleed and all so kinda confused about this. Maybe I'll have to take the pistons out, they seemed to move find winding back
    101441797.jpg

0 0 0

8. Re: New Brakes, Big problem? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    These were the old pads that came off, I got Driver and Pas mixed up when so I'm not sure if they are paired correctly but I tried to match them.

Link to High Res Album https://imgur.com/a/catMIe5

The circle mark is from my diy piston windback tool and i used the pad to protect the piston.

0 0 0

9. Re: New Brakes, Big problem? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)
    Why did you change them? They have thousands of miles left in them?

0 0 0

10. Re: New Brakes, Big problem? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Why did you change them? They have thousands of miles left in them?

Because the discs were below min thickness and caused judder. I just thought to replace both at the same time, ATE rotors with Bosch Pads. In hindsight I maybe shouldve got some cheapo rotors and kept these pads. :/

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast