Notices

User Tag List

Thread: knocking sound from the front, confused!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Re: knocking sound from the front, confused! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Hopefully this doesn't come across like I'm doubting anyone's knowledge.
    Just wanna double check I've not miss lead you all as to which part we're talking about. I've attached a picture to check?

It just seems really odd that I can't just d/c the drop link then unbolt this part to slide it off the bar? It's just it's right there?
    I've been told it's probably because the the roll bar is under a lot of torsion, is that why it's not as simple as it looks?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

0 0 0

2. Re: knocking sound from the front, confused! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dony-Jam View Post
    Hopefully this doesn't come across like I'm doubting anyone's knowledge.
    Just wanna double check I've not miss lead you all as to which part we're talking about. I've attached a picture to check?

It just seems really odd that I can't just d/c the drop link then unbolt this part to slide it off the bar? It's just it's right there?
    I've been told it's probably because the the roll bar is under a lot of torsion, is that why it's not as simple as it looks?

Crasher is in the trade so has an in depth knowledge of these cars, will have done work on many and therefore if there is a viable way around not having to do something arduous I should think he'd know for sure. On the other hand I am a VW fan, come from an engineering background where my father was an RAF engineer, officer and mechanic, have worked on many different VW and other car models over 35 years, but only a few B6 cars that friends and family have had me work on apart from my own 170 which I have pretty much done almost everything on except...renew the front and rear ARBs and bushes! There are a few procedures others will have done using shortcuts that perhaps a DIYer should not attempt until fully familiar with the car, just to be on the safe side and to avoid any mishaps.

Here's my subframe, sorry haven't got a better picture to hand - once the stabiliser links have been undone there is no tension on the bar. The ARB mounting bracket bolts are obscured by driveshafts and steering column and are considered difficult to remove.

Screenshot_20200731_113126.jpg

0 0 0

3. Re: knocking sound from the front, confused! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DMitch16 View Post
    Crasher is in the trade so has an in depth knowledge of these cars, will have done work on many and therefore if there is a viable way around not having to do something arduous I should think he'd know for sure. On the other hand I am a VW fan, come from an engineering background where my father was an RAF engineer, officer and mechanic, have worked on many different VW and other car models over 35 years, but only a few B6 cars that friends and family have had me work on apart from my own 170 which I have pretty much done almost everything on except...renew the front and rear ARBs and bushes! There are a few procedures others will have done using shortcuts that perhaps a DIYer should not attempt until fully familiar with the car, just to be on the safe side and to avoid any mishaps.
    Cheers again DMitch,

I did say I wasn't doubting yours or crasher's knowledge at all so sorry if that's what you have taken from my last post.

I just wanted double check we are talking about the same parts.
    The parts I'm referring to seem to be listed as support bushes and not mounting bushes? Are they the same thing?
    I posted the picture so I could confirm we're on the same page...

My dad's pretty good with cars, fixing cars for people around the area for many years as I was growing up so I would be doing it with him if I decided to take the work on rather than seek out a garage for the job

Thanks again pal, both yours and crasher's help is very much appreciated..

0 0 0

4. Re: knocking sound from the front, confused! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)
    I've added my subframe as another reference picture as you can see the bracket and bolt locations, just.

By all means have a go but also have a plan B in case it does not go the way you thought. Plan B for this is usually the subframe off route which is what the VW Workshop manual procedure is as Crasher mentioned.
    Mad Mitch
    VW Passat 2.0 Tdi Sport 170 BMR Engine, JPQ G/Box, DSG
    Premium Phone Kit, MFSW, Alarm Chirps, Rain Closure, Auto Close
    Emergency Braking Light Flash, Spots as DRLs. VCDS + MicroCAN, 200K Club

0 0 0

5. Re: knocking sound from the front, confused! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1837 Post(s)
    Yes those are the ARB inner bushes and not available from VW as a spare part, only a complete ARB which requires the subframe lowering down to change. You can get the bushes from Powerflex but you need to know if your bar is 23 or 23.6mm diameter VW Passat Mk6 06-13 Powerflex Front Anti Roll Bar Bushes 23mm PFF85-503-23 | eBay
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

6. Re: knocking sound from the front, confused! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    Yes those are the ARB inner bushes and not available from VW as a spare part, only a complete ARB which requires the subframe lowering down to change. You can get the bushes from Powerflex but you need to know if your bar is 23 or 23.6mm diameter VW Passat Mk6 06-13 Powerflex Front Anti Roll Bar Bushes 23mm PFF85-503-23 | eBay
    I have the black versions fitted in my rear wishbones, absolutely awesome - got them for £27.50 a pair when on offer around 5 years ago but now around £45 for a similar set. Will do the ARBs in Powerflex Black as well soon as the rear ARB needs re-powdercoating.
    Mad Mitch
    VW Passat 2.0 Tdi Sport 170 BMR Engine, JPQ G/Box, DSG
    Premium Phone Kit, MFSW, Alarm Chirps, Rain Closure, Auto Close
    Emergency Braking Light Flash, Spots as DRLs. VCDS + MicroCAN, 200K Club

0 0 0

7. Re: knocking sound from the front, confused! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1837 Post(s)
    I find some of the black series ones too harsh in some instances so prefer to special order the black Heritage versions if colour is an issue like on a Scirocco we did recently, you can just make them out in the wishbone front mount, they are a little odd to work with being a strange texture and with Powerflex’s new silicone grease are slippery!

On most PQ35/46 rear end rebuilds we just fit Febi and Meyle arms out of the packet

although sometimes we do fit the black series lower arm inner bushes if asked to as they take such a hammering and Powerflex only do them in the black series

VW Passat CC 08-12 Powerflex Rear Lower Link Inner Bushes PFR85-512 | eBay
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

1 1 0

8. Re: knocking sound from the front, confused! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)
    All good advice but I can assure you no need to drop subframe. I replaced mine with subframe not touched and up on axle stands. Drivers side one easier than passenger but still only took about 3 hours and a fair bit of swearing and ingenious tool configurations lol.
    Current Vehicles

Passat B6 Estate 170PD (Bluefin Installed 200BHP) BMR Highline
    Aprilia RSV 1000 Factory

0 0 0

9. Re: knocking sound from the front, confused! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1837 Post(s)
    I can't see how you would replace the complete ARB with the subframe in place, yes you could just about change the bushes for polyurethane versions or aftermarket rubber but OE style they only come as a full bar.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

10. Re: knocking sound from the front, confused! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)
    Lol crossed wires Crasher. I mistakingly thought it was being said just the bushes could not be changed not the whole bar. I only changed the bushes in situ clearly not the ARB. My mistake.
    Current Vehicles

Passat B6 Estate 170PD (Bluefin Installed 200BHP) BMR Highline
    Aprilia RSV 1000 Factory

1 1 0

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12