1. Winding back the EPB 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    My rear disc and pads need replacing, and I'm reluctant to pay out for a local mechanic to do it.

Due to the EPB, it appears VCDS (or similar) is required, but there's loads of videos and info showing it being done manually by removing it, dismantling it, and winding it back by hand.

The majority of info I've found have said this is fine and providing the new pads are the same thickness as the old, the EPB will automatically wind itself to the correct position.

However, the rest of the info says this will result in error codes that can't be removed and thousands of pounds in repairs/replacements.

What is the general opinion of doing it the manual way? If a diagnostic tool is the only sensible way, is there anywhere that will rent these out?

0 0 0

2. Re: Winding back the EPB 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    If it is a 2006>2008 you can easily fry the EPB ECU which can get seriously expensive. If you look at the VCDS web site there are dire warnings, in the early days I once got stung and it cost me the profit of the next ten same jobs.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: Winding back the EPB 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Thanks for the reply, it's a 2010. Is this generally a safer bet?

0 0 0

4. Re: Winding back the EPB 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    You can do this with Carista - £25 from Amazon!

0 0 0

5. Re: Winding back the EPB 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Even now on the 2010 we have as a loan car, when going into the EPB system, VCDS stops and warns you of the perils possible from careless handling. Also, taking off the EPB motors can crack the motor housing and so let water in, new motors are £456 from VW so a full exchange genuine TRW caliper is a better idea at typically around £220 each (this hows the insanity of some VAG pricing) but you need to add £30 for the inevitable failure of the short metal pipe from hose to piston, they nearly always twist. Follow the old rule, do it once, do it right.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

6. Re: Winding back the EPB 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Thanks Crasher and Frelon, I've been looking in to Carista and that looks like a safe bet! £25 isn't a huge amount for the peace of mind (also compared to the potential hassle and expense) so I'll give that a go 👍

0 0 0

7. Re: Winding back the EPB 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    I've ended up buying an Ancel VD500 instead of the Carista. I'll report back with a review once I've got it!

0 0 0

8. Re: Winding back the EPB 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    +1 on the metal brake pipe to the caliper. Its seized and best to get a brand new one. You'll lose brake fluid so have some to top it off and bleed both calipers of air.

0 0 0

9. Re: Winding back the EPB 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nedski View Post
    I've ended up buying an Ancel VD500 instead of the Carista. I'll report back with a review once I've got it!
    I bought one a month back to diagnose an engine issue....yellow light, heater plug.

I have tried the EPB release and it works a treat.

Update the software as soon as you get it...that's an exciting task in itself.
    2013 B7 Passat BlueMotion Sport Estate 2.0 TDi 177PS (CFGC), 6 speed Manual, Metallic Night Blue, Fontana alloys, Start/Stop, RNS-510 (HW H09, SW 5238 V13 maps, 8316) Nav DAB, ACC, XDS, TPM, Westfalia Tow bar, Rear View camera, Keyless Entry, Easy Open/close Electric Tailgate, Park Assist, Electric Parking Brake, DRL's, Amb light, Zebrano wood, Tinted Glass, mud flaps, 61K. Cheat emission software. Nextbase 402G iN-CAR CAM.

0 0 0