1. Building an engine for a 924S/944 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi. I’m looking at building a VW 1.8 engine for a 924S I’m rebuilding so, I thought this would be a good place to start some research for the right info and advice.
    I originally started off by buying a TT but then realised that the oil pump is at the front of the block when rotated 90 degrees to fit in the 924S which means it fouls the crossmember.
    In light of this, I’ve been advised that an AEB block is best as the oil pick up is positioned differently? In light of this, I was wondering if there were any other engines that would be configured correctly for what I’m doing?
    I’ve just been offered an A3 with an AGN engine but once again, unsure of the oil pump location!
    I have read that most blocks are the same, it’s just the heads and ancillaries that are different - is that correct?
    Also, apparently all the heads will match up so, the way to go is to stick a BAM head on (which I already have) and a K04 turbo (which I have).
    It all seems a bit to simple/good to be true - what am I missing!!!

0 0 0

2. Re: Building an engine for a 924S/944 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    You need an A4/A6/Passat 3B based engine.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: Building an engine for a 924S/944 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers for that but where can I find what engine codes that relates to?

0 0 0

4. Re: Building an engine for a 924S/944 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Would the AGN engine be suitable?

0 0 0

5. Re: Building an engine for a 924S/944 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    The AGN is transverse, you could convert it with the longitudinal oil pump pick up and sump. The longitudinal 1.8T engine was EXTREMELY prone to sump sludge, I think because of the ally sumps design, so survivors are few and far between and many have terminally damaged camshaft bores. Typical examples are AEB and the later AWT, AWM, AVJ, BFB and BEX and the later is the one I would go for as it has 190PS as standard with a capable turbo without having to do expensive upgrades. If it were my project, I would be tempted to go as late as possible and try and find a rear end totalled A4 with the 250PS EA88 TFSI engine but then again the old EA827 1.8T does have a huge range of modifications available. You could also think about the earlier EA113 series engines as there are niceties such as plug and lug ECU systems, if you are going to go to such an extent, you might as well make it different.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

6. Re: Building an engine for a 924S/944 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It’s probably best if I expand on my plans to give you a better indication of my plans.
    The car is essentially completely stripped and the only bits I plan to retain are the torque tube and a 944 turbo gearbox which I have purchased. The intention is to use the engine and bellhousing from the donor vehicle along with the loom and electrics from the donor. The rational being that I can lift and shift the loom into the Porsche, remove what isn’t needed and then hopefully, have no electronic issues?

0 0 0

7. Re: Building an engine for a 924S/944 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    So you want to keep the electronics as simple as possible? I don't mind how complex the wiring gets, I love doing it. If you are going to stick to the KISS concept (Keep It Simple Stupid) then you need to stick to the indirect injection EA827 1.8T 20v so I would go back to the BEX 190PS idea from a pre facelift 2003>2004 type 8E A4, what I can see being an issue is the clutch housing as I expect the 944 block stud pattern is different and I don't know about the old 924 engine pattern either so it is a case of make an adapter plate (maybe someone like EPYTEC can help?) and cit the clutch housing off the (NOTE Magnesium) box and adapt it to the torque tube coupling... I think this will be the most complex mechanical part of the job.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

8. Re: Building an engine for a 924S/944 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The gearbox is at the rear so the normal route seems to be using the existing bell housing and making a simple adaptor plate which mates up to the torque tube. I’m happy with the fabrication side of things, it’s the electronics that scare the hell out of me!
    I know there will obviously be some issues with the electronics but my plan is to make it as simple as possible by using all the original wiring as it’s got to be fairly straightforward to mate the old lighting connections on and utilise as much as possible from the donor, even down to hearing/cooling - it would be heaven to have a car with A/C!!
    Finally, as I’m not very switched on with my VAG vehicles/models, I take it that this version of the Audi A4 is readily available and easily available?

0 0 0

9. Re: Building an engine for a 924S/944 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    I'd think ahead as to how the ECU decides it's OK to start the engine. I've no idea if on the era being considered things like key match to ignition signal that for example. Fuel pump dependencies? Inputs from anything that might trigger a limp mode if airflow is different?

Sounds like a great project so hopefully you'll find it all works pretty easily .
    ======

Did this forum help you today? Help make sure it's here next time as well. Just click here to make a suitable donation using PayPal .

0 0 0

10. Re: Building an engine for a 924S/944 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    This is my rational for getting a complete running driving vehicle as the donor which will hopefully reduce most of these issues?
    Fuel lines and tank can all be sorted/worked around, it’s the thought of removing the extraneous parts of the loom, electric windows, pre-tensioners, etc that fills me with dread.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast