1. Re: Building an engine for a 924S/944 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I’m going to start having a look around for one of the BEX engined A4’s as 190ps is a cracking starting point and far more power than original!

0 0 0

2. Re: Building an engine for a 924S/944 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It looks like I may have found a very tidy and well looked after 2004 A4 with the BEX engine locally. However, it’s up at the £2k mark which is a bit for a donor vehicle?
    However, the benefit is that I can drive it and check that everything works before buying and although I could probably get a cheaper salvage one, I’d be buying a complete unknown?
    Am I liable to be able to get much back from selling the interior trim and panels etc as I’m guessing most of the value would be in the engine/drivetrain and electronics?

0 0 0

3. Re: Building an engine for a 924S/944 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    A few parts will sell, a vehicle is usually worth more as a sum of its parts than a whole.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

4. Re: Building an engine for a 924S/944 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If I could get £3-400 back I’d be chuffed, it will just offset some of the costs....

0 0 0

5. Re: Building an engine for a 924S/944 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just wondering how much of an issue it will be for me to remove sections of the loom that are not required, electric windows, locks, seatbelt pretensioners etc without causing issues?
    Several parts of the loom will be on display so, I don’t want it to look untidy with loose cables lying around?

0 0 0

6. Re: Building an engine for a 924S/944 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    The harness is made up of separate modules, in an 8E A4 there will be left and right lighting harnesses, the engine compartment harness with roughly half the engines wiring such as Air Mass Meter and starter motor and the harness for the engine itself. You will have to blend the 924 harness and some parts of the engine bay harness with almost all of the engine harness... this is the sort of thing that makes me get to work early, I love wiring. I use Autosparks and Wurth for most of my wiring products, you will need a terminal extraction kit, uninsulated crimps and the wiring diagrams for both cars. Avoid soldered joints as much as possible and reliability will be improved by not using nasty cheap insulated crimp terminals, wiring when visible of not, should look sexy. You are going to need the donor cars ECU modifying for immobiliser delete, what year is the cars registration?
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

7. Re: Building an engine for a 924S/944 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The idea is to remove the loom from the donor car (which I haven’t sourced yet but I’ve decided to get the BEX engine due to the fact 190 brake is an ideal starting point) and work out how to fit the donor vehicles loom to the 924 shell. I’m probably going to have to fiddle around with the shell quite a bit but, if I can avoid unnecessary wiring - it works for me!!

Hopefully from there on in, it should be fairly straightforward, work out how to mount the engine - mount it, add the electrics to the shell, sort fuelling out and once I’ve got everything fitted properly, remove it all and get the shell painted!!

Out of curiosity. If I start with the BEX engine, can a I ‘sensibly’ get 225-240 brake out of it?
    I don’t want it to run like a dog and run rough and be a pig in traffic. I want something where I can pootle around and go to the shops in if I want but, when required, it’s got some ooomph!

0 0 0

8. Re: Building an engine for a 924S/944 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    With a better turbo and some mapping you can easily get 350PS and 500PS is possible but the block would need specially rebuilding to cope.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

9. Re: Building an engine for a 924S/944 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ok, that’s way more than I’ll ever want 280 would be incredible but, 225-240 more than adequate!
    I just need to find a donor vehicle now!!

0 0 0

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12