Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Hi,
    I have VCDS software and was hoping to use the measure blocks functions to log various engine parameters to try and investigate an intermittent EGR fault code issue, however the box is greyed out - while there are no issues noted with the engine, the EGR readiness shows as wrong or incomplete - would this prevent the ability to measure parameters ? What steps need to be performed to get the EGR system into ready mode ( seen some things regarding 4minute idle + some urban driving cycles before EGR will get into ready state - advice ?).

0 0 0

2. Re: VCDS Operation 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    CAYC engine? Why bother? If you get an EGR code on that engine there is little point wasting your time agonising over measuring block data as the EGR unit is FUBAR anyway...
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: VCDS Operation 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks for that - there seems to be various components of the EGR system ( EGR VALVE, changeover/control valve ..) - any way to further narrow down the exact item that needs replaced OR replace whole circuit ?
    This was the VCDS output prior to clearing of the fault - which means nothing to me .

7563 - EGR Sensor 1
    P046C 00 [109] - Implausible Signal
    Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
    Freeze Frame:
    Fault Status: 00000001
    Fault Priority: 2
    Fault Frequency: 26
    Mileage: 188390 km
    Date: 2020.05.14
    Time: 05:17:01

Engine speed: 1428.75 /min
    Normed load value: 39.2 %
    Vehicle speed: 73 km/h
    Coolant temperature: 72 °C
    Intake air temperature: -1 °C
    Ambient air pressure: 1000 mbar
    Voltage terminal 30: 14.569 V
    Unlearning counter according OBD: 40
    EGR solenoid valve: actual value-ANG_EGRV[0]: -0.189 %
    EGR Vacuum Regulator Solenoid Valve: activation-ANG_SP_EGRV[0]: 0.000 %
    High pressure EGR actuator: activation-PWM_HBR_EGRV[0]: -19.284 %
    High press EGR actuator: actual unconditioned volt val-V_EGRV[0]: 0.693 V
    EGR valve: offset closed-V_EGRV_BOL[0]: 0.698 V
    EGR valve: offset open-V_EGRV_TOL[0]: 3.999 V
    Actuator for high pressure EGR: status-LF_STATE_EGRV_DISP[0]: 78

Readiness: 0 1 0 0 0

0 0 0

4. Re: VCDS Operation 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    You just replace it as one unit, it is a horrible job to do on a two post lift 6 feet in the air, on you back outside I can't imagine the misery! I assume it is a CAYC engine? It could be CAYB but these are rare and the same cooler unit anyway. The part number is 03L 131 512 DQ and they cost £368.93 inc VAT from Audi. DON'T be tempted to go aftermarket, I used a few on the insistence of customers and they drove me potty with the failure, every single one I fitted failed. ECP supplied me with one which lasted a week and so they supplied me another "upgraded" version which didn't even make it back onto four wheels before failing. If you imagine it is six hours work for an experienced professional mechanic then you can understand how bloody annoying that is! Now if a customers insistes on an aftermarket one I will only do it if they agree to pay the labour should it fail IF the supplier does not cover my expenses. The unit is bolted to the back of the block and you can see the motor in the picture between the water hoses.

Last edited by Crasher; 21-07-2020 at 09:36 PM.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

5. Re: VCDS Operation 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks for the input - I got a rough quote from local garage of ~£1000 - they said easier to remove the engine to do the replacement, however they also did not fill me with hope by saying that EGR's are fickle and the replacement may not work ( Not sure if this comment was directly aimed at aftermarket replacements or also included Audi original part) - As a novice mechanic with no means to remove the engine OR get car any higher than axle stands - this one I think I need to leave to the professionals. So from a guarantee viewpoint - I think I need to submit to an authorised Audi dealership for repair ( expect to be >> £1000) ( Anyway - I will phone for a quote and hopefully pleasantly surprised .

0 0 0

6. Re: VCDS Operation 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Well I was pleasantly surprised got a quote from Audi of £938 for EGR+fitting ( ex gaskets /pipes etc) - so probably going to be the same as local garage except I would expect a better warranty from them vs local garage.

0 0 0

7. Re: VCDS Operation 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Crasher - Quick question regarding the pictures you provided - is this a view from underneath car towards the front - if so then the EGR is situated at bulkhead side of engine at the bottom ? All stuff I have read/seen seems to suggest it is bulkhead side at the top ( so thought it could be tackled from top of engine?)

Also you mentioned the PN as 03L 131 512 DQ - through various searches seen CF & BJ listed , cannot see any information to list the differences - unless these are just revision letters with DQ being the latest ?
    Last edited by malt56; 21-07-2020 at 08:47 PM.

0 0 0

8. Re: VCDS Operation 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    It is on the back of the block just above the sump,the garage that suggested removing the engine should be avoided like the plague... utter nonsense. If an independent garage fits a genuine unit, the warranty is the same as at the main dealer.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

9. Re: VCDS Operation 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)
    Has the car had the emissions update.

If not, get it booked in with Audi & drop it off with the fault code cleared.

When it fails after the update they will replace FOC under their "Trust Building Measure".

0 0 0

10. Re: VCDS Operation 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by philipharmes View Post
    If not
    If not? You mean if it has surreley? Yes he might get a new cooler fitted but he would also get the disastrous update which can make the car drive like ****.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast