Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Personally I feel that those selling, fitting and using such parts should be prosecuted under environmental criminal laws and heavily punished.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

2. Re: VCDS Operation 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)
    But these devices are only being produced because the of the junk EGR system that VW have fitted from new.

It's VW who should be getting hauled over the coals for fitting a system not fit for purpose.

As these cars are getting older, owners can't justify the repair costs.

0 0 0

3. Re: VCDS Operation 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    I blame the idiot politicians that forced Diesel on us and the scientists that said it was better. To make a Diesel engine clean is only just about possible now on an affordable basis with long term reliability and even then it's fragile. It isn't just VW through, it is all manufactures and the Tier 1 supply companies that provide them with sub standard parts although I can't ever see EGR being reliable and low maintenance unless the recirculated gasses are taken post cat/dpf which some now do but this increased complexity, cases packaging problems and requires a large water to gas cooler. The basic problem is, under the legislation we have, small diesel engines are not fit for purpose. The next nightmare is going to be old electric cars, hopefully I will be dead by then!
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 1 0

4. Re: VCDS Operation 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Its been a while - so still got intermittent EGR fault getting recorded - from previous replies the solution would appear to be to replace the EGR ( I checked and car already had the VW software update), however quotes from local garage and Audi Dealer are about the same at ~£1000 and I would like to have a greater confidence that this is 100% the issue. Unfortunately I am still not at that level yet for the following reasons .
    1) I am unable to fix myself , since car really needs to up in the air - virtually impossible to repair from ground level - so relying on professional mechanics to fix.
    2) If the valve is sticking and/or getting clogged up with carbon deposits, I would have thought that this would have some effect on the emissions - to date the car has undergone 2 x MOT emissions tests and no issues have been flagged - I am not an experienced mechanic / or an expert on engine operation - so my question would be whether a EGR fault should impact MOT emissions test ? If yes, does this mean that root cause may not be the EGR itself?
    3) The car can run without issue for about a week ( ie no EGR faults) and then it suddenly for no reason flags a fault.
    4) When the fault appears - it also appears to cause the car to lose power ( seems to drop into Limp Home Mode) - issue can be resolved by stopping the car and doing a restart - from there it could continue to be OK and on some occasions it may go through a series of stop/restarts - does this sound like what would be expected when an EGR issue occurs - if not then maybe there is something else at play ( eg electrical issue/ dodgy ECU....) ?

I am even considering if possible to get an endoscope to feed into some pipe to see if I can get close to the EGR valve to ascertain if its really clogged or sticking before shelling out ~£1000 to find its clean as a whistle and real issue is elsewhere .
    2013 A3 1.6tdi sportback

0 0 0

5. Re: VCDS Operation 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    £1k is a bit strong when the part is £368.93 inc VAT retail. It has got to the point that if someone wants a code read on a CAYA, B or C as the MIL is on but the car is running fine I can almost guarantee it is the EGR valve. It is a completely self contained unit and if you found it was spotless inside that would mean it had been blanked off or the car had done 0 miles as they are always ditched inside and one I took of that was faulty from new had only been run for a hour and was already black inside.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

6. Re: VCDS Operation 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Hi Crasher - the local guy was going to remove the engine to do the replacement for ~£1000 vs Audi garage who quoted £368 for the EGR & £570 for 5hr labour cost ( total £938 assuming no other bits needing replaced ) - hence the anticipated cost of £1000 for either option - only cheapest option is for me to myself at ground level ( which as we discussed before is not really an option). Might be cheaper for me to install a hydraulic lift system into my garage - might work out to be the most cost effective long term option .
    2013 A3 1.6tdi sportback

0 0 0

7. Re: VCDS Operation 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Taking the engine out is totally OTT and could cause all manner of knock on effects plus a big pile of genuine bolts unless you want it to fall out... You are in a bit of an isolated area aren't you.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

8. Re: VCDS Operation 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    This EGR dilemma has finally been resolved - car is actually my son's - so after a lot of discussion - given that car passed its MOT and fault is intermittent - car has been traded in against another A3.
    2013 A3 1.6tdi sportback

0 0 0

9. Re: VCDS Operation 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    That isn’t resolved, it is deflected... moved on.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 1 0

10. Re: VCDS Operation 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    From my perspective it is resolved - no more stressing of how I can get it fixed cheaply & with enough confidence that it really was the issue & whether there was any other pending issues with the car). So by moving on to a dealer who has access to mechanics/right tools etc then it will be much easier/cheaper option for them to fix before moving the car on ( whether to auction or a scrap scheme to get old /diesel cars off the road.
    2013 A3 1.6tdi sportback

0 0 0

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast