1. ABS Sensor Issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    After finally getting my rear calipers off ,I was originally faced with 2 issues ( however maybe only 1 after some checking of the forum):_
    1) Struggling to get the brake piston moved back in - previously I have used a G clamp to compress the pistons back in , however both rear behaving the same - get so far and then they jam - After checking the forum I am now of the opinion that the rear calipers work differently to front and need the rewind tool which applies pressure while rotating the piston - so maybe this is a non issue - comments ?
    2) ABS sensor fault logged as intermittent signal from rear right sensor - so got a few questions :-

a) The rear right wheel appeared to be jammed due to brake application ( even with handbrake off the wheel hard to rotate ) - after getting the caliper off - no issues with wheel bearing turning - could a sticky caliper cause an ABS sensor fault ? NB need to use rewind tool to confirm if the caliper is bad or not.
    b) Assuming it is the actual ABS sensor then from what I have read it a pure nightmare to get removed even when the holding bolt is removed - I am stuck at this point - should be a 5mm hex driver , but attempts so far appear to have caused the hex recess to become a circle - any help on how to go from here appreciated to at least let me get the bolt removed. Assuming I get this far then it looks like to remove it will require a lot of chiselling to break up and remove all traces of old sensor before new one fitted.
    c) I had read that by attaching a multimeter to the sensor - an AC voltage (~10mV) would be generated when the wheel turned - however on checking both rear sensors today - not seeing any AC voltage generated - any other ways to verify whether a sensor is actually good or bad - hoping that issue solely related to a bad brake caliper to avoid all the pain of replacing the sensor if not the cause of the fault

0 0 0

2. Re: ABS Sensor Issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Attaching output from VCDS relating to the rear sensor
    Address 03: ABS Brakes (J104) Labels: 1K0-907-379-60EC1F.clb
    Part No SW: 1K0 907 379 AJ HW: 1K0 907 379 AJ
    Component: ESP MK60EC1 H30 0107
    Revision: 00H30001
    Coding: 13422012092200FAC80C04EB901E0091380800
    Shop #: WSC 06314 000 00000
    VCID: 7AFC29AAF5441991A7-802E

1 Fault Found:
    00287 - ABS Wheel Speed Sensor; Rear Right (G44)
    003 - Mechanical Failure - Intermittent
    Freeze Frame:
    Fault Status: 00100011
    Fault Priority: 1
    Fault Frequency: 40
    Reset counter: 44
    Mileage: 177305 km
    Time Indication: 0
    Date: 2019.11.27
    Time: 17:28:05

Freeze Frame:
    Count: 1
    Count: 0
    Count: 4608
    Count: 83
    Count: 53018
    Count: 1
    Count: 65027
    Count: 0

By mechanical failure - any chance this could also be related to the ABS ring rather than the actual sensor ?

0 0 0

3. Re: ABS Sensor Issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Bought the rewind tool and now confirmed that calipers not jammed - so chickening out and going to replace the pads & discs and then see if the ABS fault still shows ( hopefully the rear right wheel piston which was end of its travel is the real cause of the ABS fault - otherwise need to figure out how to get the sensor/bolt out ( and again hopefully issue is not related to the ABS ring on the wheel bearing

0 0 0

4. Re: ABS Sensor Issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    That is more than likely a rusty wheel bearing pulse ring, I have just done one on a Yeti (same car under the skin) which was 4WD so makes it a bit of a sketch but the 2WD is easy.

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

5. Re: ABS Sensor Issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks for the info - so is it just a question of cleaning up the ring to get rid of the rust buildup or need to remove bearing to replace the ABS ring ?

0 0 0

6. Re: ABS Sensor Issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    It can be rust debris or rust damage to the pulse ring, the black ring on the back of the bearing. I took one off a Yeti today thinking it was the ring but it turned out the new Hella sensor was faulty.

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 1 0

7. Re: ABS Sensor Issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Replaced new discs & pads , however still getting an ABS issue logged - so now more looking like it is definately the bearing/sensor which is the issue - so bearing coming off tomorrow.

0 0 0

8. Re: ABS Sensor Issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Best laid plans - ran the VCDS tool and noted that there is no input coming from the sensor - managed to get the sensor bolt removed, however sensor still pretty secured. Went to remove the bearing, thinking I had the correct tool for the job, however my Halfords 12 point M16 spline socket seemed to be getting chewed up trying to break the bolt - after more checking I now think I need a stubby M16 spline XZN socket rather than the one I have - maybe less chance for it to slip out the bolt . New tool ordered and hopefully this will be the last tool I need to buy trying to fix this issue.

0 0 0

9. Re: ABS Sensor Issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    I had thought these spline bits were the same whether called M or ZXN, but do remember there is a lot of digging out gunk and rust from the bolt head before it fits

0 0 0

10. Re: ABS Sensor Issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    I think they are except the Halfords one has a longer drive end versus the stubby ones - I am hoping that the stubby version of the XZN will be a snugger fit when trying to break the torque - kit I am buying specifically mentions its use for VW/Audi cars ( ~£20) - so we will see

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast