Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey79 View Post
    It's a pretty small group, that's for sure!!

You're right, they're really nice wheels. And the black edition package with the black surround on the windows is a nicer finish than the chrome on mine but hey, I can live with it! I've only seen one other C7 on the road since I've had mine....quite a few S3's, S4's and S5's but none of these. I love the fact it's a proper sleeper of car, serious power under the bonnet but I've still not used the proper launch control on it - just looking for the right road where I won't get reported for being "anti-social"!!

One thing to be aware of - the brakes are huge and don't come cheap. Mine had squeaky front brakes for about 6 months after I bought it, then the sensor came on. Tried to source something aftermarket (Brembos or also looked at ZTE) but couldn't find the right part number and was too much of a gamble for the money. My neighbour's an ex VAG master tech and sorted it for me. Used his contacts at Audi and got OEM parts and they still came in at about £780 for front discs and pads after discount. He fitted them for me so paid £just over £900 all in.
    Definite street sleeper which is what I love about them... and not many around, near me there are more S3 / RS3's than you can shake a stick at, I collected my car from car security installer on Saturday just as a father & son collected their RS3 / RS5's ! Aftermarket upgrade security is a must on any fast Audi.
    Funny you mention the brakes.. noticed mine have a bit of a squeal when low speed braking. Hope its not the start of something expensive already!
    I'm with you on launch control!... some good weather and a remote location / clear road required.
    S6 Black Edition 2017 - C7.5 | Tornado Grey | Full Black Leather Interior

Only a fool knows everything, a wise man knows how little he knows

0 0 0

2. Re: S6 First day of ownership 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)
    It does amaze me at how often people seem to require new discs.
    discs should last about 4 sets of pad.

of all the cars I have had, I have only replaced the discs once. Other than that, it is always pads only.

0 0 0

3. Re: S6 First day of ownership 
    Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by A8Cruiser View Post

of all the cars I have had, I have only replaced the discs once. Other than that, it is always pads only.

Not audi ones! On my A4 with genuine discs/pads it was replace discs and pads at the same time 3 times in a row before I went to an alternative brand...

D.

0 0 0

4. Re: S6 First day of ownership 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

I read somewhere recently that the pad material was different to what they used to be and as a result wear the discs much more than they used to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Regards Dean Warren. VCDS owner/user
    A6 C7 3.0 BiTDi Quattro Avant 2012 S-Line Tech pack tour Pack ACC Blind spot folding mirrors Sold
    S6 C8 3.0 TDI Quattro Avant 2021 360 Camera Bose Extended leather.

0 0 0

5. Re: S6 First day of ownership 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dean warren View Post
    I read somewhere recently that the pad material was different to what they used to be and as a result wear the discs much more than they used to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My A4 was a 2014 - and was on original discs/pads for the first 3 sets (took me to 175k miles). Basically the cambelt and water pump needed doing at the same time as discs and pads all round - and I was a motorway cruiser, not a heavy brake user - they just lasted about that long. Went with another mfr and there was barely much perceivable wear on them when I retired the car at 250k miles....

It's the reason my A6 doesn't have genuined discs/pads on it now and is running Brembo...

D.

0 1 0

6. Re: S6 First day of ownership 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by danclyon View Post
    My A4 was a 2014 - and was on original discs/pads for the first 3 sets (took me to 175k miles). Basically the cambelt and water pump needed doing at the same time as discs and pads all round - and I was a motorway cruiser, not a heavy brake user - they just lasted about that long. Went with another mfr and there was barely much perceivable wear on them when I retired the car at 250k miles....

It's the reason my A6 doesn't have genuined discs/pads on it now and is running Brembo...

D.
    I bought the car with 50K miles on the clock and whilst I don't know if the previous owner had been through other sets, it was only the fronts that needed doing. The backs are still only around 40% worn. I'm not too heavy on the brakes either, although the temptation is there!

I did a lot of research on the discs and pads (mainly to try and reduce the cost!!) but the ZTE's get really good reviews. The pads in particular have some kind of coating that reduces dust and makes them wear at a lower rate from memory. Two friends are both ex VAG Master Techs and said genuine parts tend to be things like Brembo anyway, just packaged in an Audi box. Couldn't get the right part number for the discs for the front (tried quite a few wesbites). I actually picked the parts up from my local Audi dealer when my neighbour ordered them so had them at home for a few days before getting them fitted......lo and behold, opened up the boxes and it was all Brembo..

0 0 0

7. Re: S6 First day of ownership 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey79 View Post
    I bought the car with 50K miles on the clock and whilst I don't know if the previous owner had been through other sets, it was only the fronts that needed doing. The backs are still only around 40% worn. I'm not too heavy on the brakes either, although the temptation is there!

I did a lot of research on the discs and pads (mainly to try and reduce the cost!!) but the ZTE's get really good reviews. The pads in particular have some kind of coating that reduces dust and makes them wear at a lower rate from memory. Two friends are both ex VAG Master Techs and said genuine parts tend to be things like Brembo anyway, just packaged in an Audi box. Couldn't get the right part number for the discs for the front (tried quite a few wesbites). I actually picked the parts up from my local Audi dealer when my neighbour ordered them so had them at home for a few days before getting them fitted......lo and behold, opened up the boxes and it was all Brembo..
    Well that may be the case for the S6, but on my old A4 and the current A6, the OE for my brake combo is Pagid, and they just don't last. The A6, I bought, I know the previous owner, and it was already on it's second set of pads at 39k miles, and he isn't a spirited driver. I've done 20k miles on the current Brembo set and there is basically 10-20% wear like for like driving....I should also add that the last set of genuine I had on the A4 - one of the brake discs fell apart, and exactly the same happened on my A6 - and Audi's view was "so what".....so, I'm afraid, it's done for me now, no more genuine brake discs/pads and I'll stick with the Brembo ones going forward. Wonder if I could justify an S6 on that basis

D.

0 2 0

8. Re: S6 First day of ownership 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by danclyon View Post
    Well that may be the case for the S6, but on my old A4 and the current A6, the OE for my brake combo is Pagid, and they just don't last. The A6, I bought, I know the previous owner, and it was already on it's second set of pads at 39k miles, and he isn't a spirited driver. I've done 20k miles on the current Brembo set and there is basically 10-20% wear like for like driving....I should also add that the last set of genuine I had on the A4 - one of the brake discs fell apart, and exactly the same happened on my A6 - and Audi's view was "so what".....so, I'm afraid, it's done for me now, no more genuine brake discs/pads and I'll stick with the Brembo ones going forward. Wonder if I could justify an S6 on that basis

D.
    Good to know regarding Pagid. That was one of the makes that came up in my searches before I ended up going to Audi. Not heard of them but will swerve in future! Also, hopefully bodes well for the Brembos. I;m not a full time spirited driver but it gets it's fair share. I just try not to do it when I'm going to have to brake hard!! All I think of is the £££££!!

Keep your eye out - there are some deals to be had. A lot of the manufacturers are clients of mine and they're expecting a lot of stock to still be lying around. It could be a really good time to get a car around Q4 this year. My brother's just picked up 17 plate Q5 - really clean, low mileage and paid around £25K.

0 0 0

9. Re: S6 First day of ownership 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    I don't generally have cars long enough for Discs to be changed... max 4 years and mileage is much reduced these days

S6 Black Edition 2017 - C7.5 | Tornado Grey | Full Black Leather Interior

Only a fool knows everything, a wise man knows how little he knows

0 0 0

10. Re: S6 First day of ownership 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)
    I’ll put it down to gentle braking. 👍🏿