1. Paint issue Superb estate 66 plate 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Anyone else had a problem with the paint coming off the nearside door sill ( inside the car about where the door strip meets the sill )? It has been resprayed once but is disappearing again. It is not quite through to bare metal but seems to be spreading along the sill. Only on the passengers side too.

Any ideas much appreciated as it has only lasted about 5 months. The car has never been bumped or damaged either.
    Thanks

0 0 0

2. Re: Paint issue Superb estate 66 plate 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Could you post a picture?
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: Paint issue Superb estate 66 plate 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)
    Might be rubbing but a picture would be good.
    Current- A6 C8 40 tdi quattro s line Daytona Grey
    Gone-S3 sportback, A6 C7 biturbo saloon,A4 B 8.5 avant, A6 C6 3.0 tdi Quattro saloon, A6 C5 2.8 Q Avant

0 0 0

4. Re: Paint issue Superb estate 66 plate 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    car sill2.jpg

Sorry for not replying sooner, I have not been back on the site for quite a long time, but took this photo yesterday. I did wipe the area as it was covered in road dirt.but it didn't look like it had rubbed?

0 0 0

5. Re: Paint issue Superb estate 66 plate 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    That looks what I have heard described as "galvanic lift" where the zinc plating is reacting with the primer.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

6. Re: Paint issue Superb estate 66 plate 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for replying but is there anything which can be done about it. It was completely stripped back about a year ago and resprayed, but as you can see it has started to reappear. The paint shop said he had never seen paint do that before and had no explanation. I have not been back to show him that it is happening again, as I thought perhaps some chemical from the road had got onto the sill and reacted with the paint, but now I think it is more likely from beneath?

Any more thoughts or possible solution much appreciated.

0 0 0

7. Re: Paint issue Superb estate 66 plate 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    I have seen it a lot on Skoda’s and a few times on other VAG products but Skoda’s do seem to be more prone to it. It would need taking back to the metal at a hidden point and repainted from scratch with no feathering in as that is where it will creep back. On my Octavia it did this in the left corner of the tailgate under the glass at just over three years old and in usual Octavia 1U5 (estate) fashion, all around the number plate light trim and looked quite odd with the car being black, forming a bluish tinged metallic black hue which then lifted away and all repaired tailgates seemed to go again, two of my friends had 2003 L&K estates done under warranty but within a few years it was creeping out again from under the trim and later this trim was re-designed to have a rubber gasket and mine has this now. To their credit, Skoda replaced the tailgates on both cars and I still know both now and they are perfect, I didn’t send mine in though, only one person works on my cars and that is me. Even then the tailgate is going again, Octavia 1 estate tailgates always had issues until they were replaced with the revised unit and after the huge mechanical revamp I am just doing, that will be on next years list.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

8. Re: Paint issue Superb estate 66 plate 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks so much for your detailed and comprehensive reply. I am quite shocked that Skoda and others haven't accepted this as a problem and offered to fix, on a comparatively new car. However now I know what the issue is I will print out your advise and take it to my garage and get them to fix it, hopefully once and for all!. Unfortunately I bought the car second hand and the dealer was very honest and did get the car resprayed, having believed it to be a bad scuff initially. he has agreed that it is something more but had no answer, so hopefully now this will sort everything out. I will ask one more question however, is this likely to appear anywhere else on the car? I have looked everywhere and can see no other problems, but still worry especially as it was the most expensive car I have ever bought and am now a pensioner and expected it to last !

Again many thanks for your responses.

Roger

0 0 0