Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Keybarrel Steering lock question please??

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Re: Keybarrel Steering lock question please?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Oh well , good news and bad , having refitted the barrel and and putting the circuit board thinghy back on , I cant get the aerial ring and lock to stay in !!
    Plus the thing seems to tighten up when you try and turn it befire it drops out !

I am wondering if the tumblers are moving too much and jamming too. In the meantime I suppose daughter can use a screwdriver to start and stop it with the key in the ring !! lol

Is it possible to order a new aerial ring /lock with the same number , does anyone know ?? At least the barrel and switch are new . Doh !!

0 0 0

2. Re: Keybarrel Steering lock question please?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    My minds on the gallop. If the locks goosed -
    I have seens a barrell with one key £25 ,same part number ,so should fit our barrel ! If I bought that ,and used the lock with the key supplied but changed the fob over , I could if that worked , have a key cut and use that to go on my spare fob ?
    Is that a plan ??
    Can you get those flick out keys cut ?

0 0 0

3. Re: Keybarrel Steering lock question please?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1841 Post(s)
    Can you imagine doing this charging by the hour... This is why for many jobs we just fit new... a new lock unit with switch off the shelf and slide your old barrel back in BUT if we have the time we prefer to special order a new barrel from the factory tumbled to match the key the car was built with so no immobiliser issues; but thats £350 in parts.

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 1 0

4. Re: Keybarrel Steering lock question please?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Huffy View Post
    My minds on the gallop. If the locks goosed -
    I have seens a barrell with one key £25 ,same part number ,so should fit our barrel ! If I bought that ,and used the lock with the key supplied but changed the fob over , I could if that worked , have a key cut and use that to go on my spare fob ?
    Is that a plan ??
    Can you get those flick out keys cut ?
    Yes the keys can be cut. New fobs (except the circuit board) should be available

There is a lock on the edge of the drivers door handle under the trim for times there is no central locking. If you need to go down this route then If you could get barrel and door lock from same vehicle that would be better otherwise you'd still need your old blades

0 1 0

5. Re: Keybarrel Steering lock question please?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Cheers both . I am a farmer so jack of all trades and master of absolutely f******* none !!
    I got the lock in the barrel but it feels all slack and the steering lock wont engage , plus the ignition wont light up and it wont start . Pulled it off and put the screwdriver in and everythings good !!

Cant get my head around why it can turn freely when out , but will not turn the slot when back in the barrel.
    Yes time , **** me ,if I charged time the job would have had it !!
    I took the little wire off from the ignition switch to the circuit board and left it on my desk and forgot .
    Cue spending an hour and a half wondering who stole the last connector

She will have to use the old key for the door in emergencies lol

0 0 0

6. Re: Keybarrel Steering lock question please?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Having a day off from the ruddy car today !!
    I tried fitting the lock several times but it just does not want to work properly ,so I have ordered a second hand barrel complete for £25 - thats cheap ,most breakers want 70 -90.
    I will not be tempted to swap the lock over to the new barrell I fitted yesterday but will put the whole second hand one on and cross my fingers
    One key on this s/hd one , which is what you expect I suppose - her fob onto that ! Timpsons in town do a keycut for VW fobs at £40 ,fit the spare fob shes got so she can have 2 keys and I will probably drill the old keys out to take a keyring and then they can accompany the new key in case of failure to get in the car !
    Have I missed anything relavent here folks?

0 0 0

7. Re: Keybarrel Steering lock question please?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1841 Post(s)
    If you included labour at circa £65 an hour, I wonder how much you have actually spent upto now?

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

8. Re: Keybarrel Steering lock question please?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Yes yes , I know

I have spent about £75 so far . Spent a day on it but life for me has plenty of time if I dont want to sit in a chair or on the PC

0 0 0

9. Re: Keybarrel Steering lock question please?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Well ,today the postie bought my second hand one with key. Looked in great nick and I bobbed it on . Resisted playing with the key till it was on , worked a treat!
    Stripped the 2 keys down and removed the chip into the fob with the new (to me ) blade !

Connected battery and turned it on !! 3 warning lights , steering wheel , abs , tyre pressure
    Anyrood ,my mate told me to turn full lock both ways and then they magically dissappeared !! Wooo
    In business

Thanks for the help guys
    Just a couple of things that helped no end with the key stuff

http://www.riskin.org/vwkey/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RZrQbZQ8yM
    Last edited by Huffy; 04-07-2020 at 08:13 AM. Reason: Links that helped

0 1 0

10. Re: Keybarrel Steering lock question please?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1841 Post(s)
    You always get the Xmas tree effect when working on these and a quick drive and some lock to lock normally extinguishes them. On a 64 plate Yeti that came in yesterday afternoon the dash was like Blackpool illuminations because of a left rear ABS sensor code that won’t clear and the garage who brought it to us had come down to a new ABS unit. I took out the new sensor they had fitted and could see it was already damaged on the end from rubbing on the pulse ring but it was getting late and a new bearing kit is coming Monday.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast