1. towbar fitting a6 c7 saloon 2.0 sl electrics 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Just about to undertake fitting my car with a towbar 2l td sl. I have managed to get a used audi wiring loom for this model has anyone fitted towbar electrics to the 2011 onwards to a saloon. I am to fit the towbar and electrics and get a local auto electrician to code it. Has anyone done this and can you share any detail /pics

0 0 0

2. Re: towbar fitting a6 c7 saloon 2.0 sl electrics 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    Have a look on the PF jones website, Sucuri WebSite Firewall - Access Denied they have detailed instructions for the fitting of the towbar and also the electrical diagrams, in particular the Westfalia electrics who manufactured the control unit for Audi.
    But yes once fitted your going to need the car coded.
    2015 A6 Allroad 3.0TDi 218 CRTE - NEW
    2012 A6 Avant 3.0TDi Multitronic - OLD

0 1 0

3. Re: towbar fitting a6 c7 saloon 2.0 sl electrics 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    70510223_2374896846091889_2299737442619490304_n.jpgThanks its not a bad starting point. ill neeed to remove the boot liners and have look. the wiring diagram is quite pictorial but lacks written detail...https://www.pfjones.co.uk/pfjoneswir..._Electrics.pdf ill get a better idea once i have fitted the bar..

0 0 0

4. Re: towbar fitting a6 c7 saloon 2.0 sl electrics 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    You presumably already have the fuse location in boot, and supply loom to it? So you need to add loom from trailer control unit to the green fuse bay there, take loom to trailer N-pin socket, etc? Which bits do you need help with?

0 0 0

5. Re: towbar fitting a6 c7 saloon 2.0 sl electrics 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    I have just got the loom off ebay and awaiting delivery of the towbar....I have fitted the universal ones to my 05 sportage in the past very basic cam system on that car . Just thought using the genuine loom will be a better way to go as this car has parking sensors.... Ill get back to you all once I've stripped the liners out of the boot and work from there.. Tried to find links to see if anyone had fitted one of these on net i could only find a6 c6 vid on youtube so hopefully this will be a reference for anyone else fitting one...to their a6 c7
    .52040477.jpg70510223_2374896846091889_2299737442619490304_n.jpgs-l1600-16.jpgs-l1600-17.jpgs-l1600-18.jpgs-l1600-19.jpg
    Last edited by graylinghunter; 26-06-2020 at 06:54 AM.

0 0 0

6. Re: towbar fitting a6 c7 saloon 2.0 sl electrics 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by graylinghunter View Post
    Thanks its not a bad starting point. ill neeed to remove the boot liners and have look. the wiring diagram is quite pictorial but lacks written detail...https://www.pfjones.co.uk/pfjoneswir..._Electrics.pdf ill get a better idea once i have fitted the bar..
    I took a quick look at that PDF. It looks like a good match to the standard wiring, such as the use of fuse positions 1, 2 and 3 in pic 23 - although the red wires have different trace colours. One thing that I noticed is that pic 22 seems to be referring to a black fuse holder, which is correct for LHD but is shown as green on RHD in the OEM diagrams. Various combos of black. blue, green, yellow, etc are used for each of LHD / RHD, so easy to get confused there.

Not sure what that red / black wire tap is for. There seem to be several wires of that colour potentially installed, so might be another one to untangle left / right / options on when you get there.

0 0 0

7. Re: towbar fitting a6 c7 saloon 2.0 sl electrics 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)
    I fitted the Westfalier kit from PF Jones, and found the tow bar part easy to understand. BUT the electrical pictograms were an absolute nightmare to understand despite me being a professional electrician! I spent several hours trying to work out what they meant, and even then I wasn't 100% sure, so I phoned PF Jones, and we talked through every picture and found out I was actually correct in the end.
    Give them a call, as they really know their stuff, and will save hours of head scratching and uncertainty. This wiring is actually easy to do with decent instructions, and needs to be absolutely correct, or it won't work, or something will get fried.

I absolutely HATE pictogram instructions, and they are the scourge of modern society, simple things are made so complicated due to the ambiguous mature of these. I often throw them away and use my initiative.

0 0 0

8. Re: towbar fitting a6 c7 saloon 2.0 sl electrics 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VAG-Abound View Post
    I took a quick look at that PDF. It looks like a good match to the standard wiring, such as the use of fuse positions 1, 2 and 3 in pic 23 - although the red wires have different trace colours. One thing that I noticed is that pic 22 seems to be referring to a black fuse holder, which is correct for LHD but is shown as green on RHD in the OEM diagrams. Various combos of black. blue, green, yellow, etc are used for each of LHD / RHD, so easy to get confused there.

Not sure what that red / black wire tap is for. There seem to be several wires of that colour potentially installed, so might be another one to untangle left / right / options on when you get there.
    thanks I should be able to start stripping it down later

0 0 0

9. Re: towbar fitting a6 c7 saloon 2.0 sl electrics 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    The genuine towbar that swivels with genuine electrics from audi comes with a very thick book, but instructions still need reading several times. It took me a while to decipher them but the coding was the biggest heartache. Even connected to Germany, it refused to code properly. In the end Audi supplied a different svm code for my car and it coded in under 20mins.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

0 1 0

10. Re: towbar fitting a6 c7 saloon 2.0 sl electrics 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)
    BTW, I forgot to mention the coding!
    PF Jones instructions only give the code for the CAN gateway to accept the new towbar ECU supplied in the kit. This only gets basic functions, ie stop, tail indicators fog light etc. Most of the other ECU's in the car need recoding to get things working properly. PF Jones have a plug in re-coder that does everything automatically and blindly, same as an Audi dealer. For DIY, you'll need Ross-Tech VCDS or similar, and the long coding numbersfor all the ECU's involved. IIRC my car need 9 ECU's recoded.
    Post a full auto-scan of all the ECU's on the Ross-Tech forum, and someone will provide all the codes needed.

0 1 0

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast