Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Just ordered a new Q5 - any must-have accessories?

1. Just ordered a new Q5 - any must-have accessories? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I seem to be developing some major Audi loyalty... I had an A6 Black Edition for 3 years on a lease, then treated myself to a new S5, which has been my daily driver for the last 3 years, again on lease. My car is up for renewal in Sept, and to cut a long story short, I've ordered a Q5 Black Edition with Tech Pack.

It was a ready-built car, so I didn't get a say in the specs (aside from the colour - I've gone for Glacier White, which I think looks good with the black body kit), but are there any must-have accessories I should be looking at? Boot liner? The car comes with 20" diamond cut alloys, and I'm slightly worried about kerbing them, so are alloy protectors (like Alloy Gators) any good? It doesn't come with a reversing camera, which I'd have specced given the choice - are after market ones any good?

Also, it has the wireless charging pad for my phone, but no wireless Apple CarPlay, so I don't really see the point of the charging mat, or am I missing something? If I want to use CarPlay, I'll need to plug the phone into USB anyway, which also charges it, so I'm wondering about how useful the wireless charging pad it.

Thanks in advance for any help

Mark.

0 0 0

2. Re: Just ordered a new Q5 - any must-have accessories? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tredders View Post
    I seem to be developing some major Audi loyalty... I had an A6 Black Edition for 3 years on a lease, then treated myself to a new S5, which has been my daily driver for the last 3 years, again on lease. My car is up for renewal in Sept, and to cut a long story short, I've ordered a Q5 Black Edition with Tech Pack.

It was a ready-built car, so I didn't get a say in the specs (aside from the colour - I've gone for Glacier White, which I think looks good with the black body kit), but are there any must-have accessories I should be looking at? Boot liner? The car comes with 20" diamond cut alloys, and I'm slightly worried about kerbing them, so are alloy protectors (like Alloy Gators) any good? It doesn't come with a reversing camera, which I'd have specced given the choice - are after market ones any good?

Also, it has the wireless charging pad for my phone, but no wireless Apple CarPlay, so I don't really see the point of the charging mat, or am I missing something? If I want to use CarPlay, I'll need to plug the phone into USB anyway, which also charges it, so I'm wondering about how useful the wireless charging pad it.

Thanks in advance for any help

Mark.

Hi,

Congratulations on the new car!
    I'm not sure you will need to bother with alloy protectors - the tyres are quite tall even on 20" rims on the Q5 (unlike on the A6 BE, where they are very low profile). You will probably find you'll be ok if you're careful.
    I can't comment on aftermarket reversing cameras, sorry. Our Q5 has the Parking System Plus with Park Assistant, so we have OEM cameras all around. They are excellent, so if you wanted to retrofit an OEM camera I can certainly recommend those (andyhud007 over on the Q7-4M board does a lot of OEM retrofits - it might be worth reaching out to him if you wanted to consider this route).
    The wireless charging pad is fine for if you just want to charge your phone without having to mess with a cable when not using CarPlay (eg using the inbuilt nav). It's easily accessible - unlike the one in my Merc E class, which is buried quite deep in a cubby hole and is difficult to use.
    In terms of accessories, I can recommend the Audi Winter Mats - they are quite good and seem very durable and easy to clean. We keep ours in the car all year round.
    Enjoy your new purchase!!

Cheers!

MF.
    Last edited by MFGF; 24-06-2020 at 02:04 PM. Reason: More detail on which Q7 board to find Andy
    Gone: 2016 A6 Saloon BE Ultra S tronic - Floret Silver, Tech Pack Advanced, Parking Pack Advanced, Heated F+R Seats & Wheel, Electric Seats, Matrix LED, Ambient Lighting, Speed Limit Display, Twin Spoke 20", Folding Memory Mirrors
    Now: E 53 AMG 4MATIC
    / Q5 2.0TFSi Prestige

0 1 0

3. Re: Just ordered a new Q5 - any must-have accessories? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MFGF View Post
    Hi,

Congratulations on the new car!
    I'm not sure you will need to bother with alloy protectors - the tyres are quite tall even on 20" rims on the Q5 (unlike on the A6 BE, where they are very low profile). You will probably find you'll be ok if you're careful.
    I can't comment on aftermarket reversing cameras, sorry. Our Q5 has the Parking System Plus with Park Assistant, so we have OEM cameras all around. They are excellent, so if you wanted to retrofit an OEM camera I can certainly recommend those (andyhud007 over on the Q7-4M board does a lot of OEM retrofits - it might be worth reaching out to him if you wanted to consider this route).
    The wireless charging pad is fine for if you just want to charge your phone without having to mess with a cable when not using CarPlay (eg using the inbuilt nav). It's easily accessible - unlike the one in my Merc E class, which is buried quite deep in a cubby hole and is difficult to use.
    In terms of accessories, I can recommend the Audi Winter Mats - they are quite good and seem very durable and easy to clean. We keep ours in the car all year round.
    Enjoy your new purchase!!

Cheers!

MF.
    Thanks for the reply and the welcome

Good advice on the alloys. I think I may take out an alloy wheel insurance policy - I have one on the S5, and for a relatively small outlay, the wheels are covered. I just have nightmare memories of kerbing my A6 on the day I picked it up!!

I'll look up those Winter Mats. Thanks for the recommendation.

Mark.

0 0 0