Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi,

I've been a member for a while now but this is my first post, hope this is of interest to someone.

I have a 2018 Passat GT Estate Manual TDI 190, purchased new through CarWow and got a great deal - 22.5% discount on list price and all accessories. Have been really happy with it. Indulged myself with a host of goodies including Discover Navigation Pro, Dynaudio Soundpack, Vision and Comms pack, Nappa Leather, Climate Comfort screen, Heated Steering Wheel plus much more.....

Just about the only thing that bothered me from day one was the small telephone tray in front of the gear lever, in fairness I should say the tray is not too bad but the integral USB socket renders it useless for any decent size modern smartphone ie, iPhone X in my case.

To my delight I recently discovered a replacement from Inbay (Inductive charging in your VW Passat (B8). Easily upgrade your vehicle with INBAY.) that has a wireless charger built into the base of the tray. it removes the USB socket so the tray now easily accepts my phone. The quality is excellent and the instructions pretty comprehensive. To install you simply fit a supplied Y-branch cable inline to a 12v socket, rear passenger footwell is the easiest to access. You then run the new extra power cable up to the new tray and plug into the wireless charger pad. You can download the install instructions before you purchase to see what is involved.

I followed the instructions and very soon I had the gear lever surround/phone tray unit removed and in my hands. At this point I discovered a thin plastic module about the size of a credit card clipped to the base of the existing tray, I now realise this to be the Advanced Phone Preparation module which uses an inductive loop to connect to the exterior antenna.It has two connections - a coax type for the antenna and a small multiplug for power. This was easily slid out of the tray mounting and at the moment I have it dangling to the side of the phone tray. So my new wireless charging tray is installed and I am a happy chappy. the next job is to fit a CarPlay2Air adaptor that gives wireless CarPlay.

So the reason for this post at last is to see if anyone else has come across this APP module, I can leave it fully connected and tucked down the side of the centre console no problem, just wonder if it will be effective in serving its purpose there, (I suspect not!). Any comments or advice welcome.

0 0 0

2. Re: Wireless Charging/Advanced Phone Preparation 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi KAC
    Thank you so much for telling us about this kit. Although it's 9 months since your post, I've just come across it while searching for wireless charging solutions. I'm thinking of adding it to my 2016 model 2.0 TDi GT Bluemotion, along with the CarPlay2air adapter, as I've got Apple Carplay. However, my Passat has an ashtray and 12v socket instead of the phone prep.

Hope you resolved your antenna question? I see that the inbay instructions mentions it as needed as an add-on if the smoker option is there, but it doesn't seem to say where it goes. How was Inbay's aftersales support?

I'm not totally clear if the inbay kit fits the Passat that didn't have the tray but the removable ashtray (I ordered the car from new but didn't opt for the smokers package, though as far as I can see that just means I didn't get a cigar lighter, just a removable 12v plug). As I had the Nav Pro upgrade my USB socket is in the centre elbow console under the lid.

I've also spotted this kit 15W car QI wireless charger phone charger charging plate for VW Passat B8 2014 2018 CC 2017 2018 Arteon 2019 accessories|Interior Mouldings| - AliExpress

This seems to fit in place of the existing tray, plugging into the existing cigar lighter/12v socket. I wonder if anyone has tried this or something like it?

0 0 0

3. Re: Wireless Charging/Advanced Phone Preparation 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KAC View Post
    Hi,

I've been a member for a while now but this is my first post, hope this is of interest to someone.

I have a 2018 Passat GT Estate Manual TDI 190, purchased new through CarWow and got a great deal - 22.5% discount on list price and all accessories. Have been really happy with it. Indulged myself with a host of goodies including Discover Navigation Pro, Dynaudio Soundpack, Vision and Comms pack, Nappa Leather, Climate Comfort screen, Heated Steering Wheel plus much more.....

Just about the only thing that bothered me from day one was the small telephone tray in front of the gear lever, in fairness I should say the tray is not too bad but the integral USB socket renders it useless for any decent size modern smartphone ie, iPhone X in my case.

To my delight I recently discovered a replacement from Inbay (Inductive charging in your VW Passat (B8). Easily upgrade your vehicle with INBAY.) that has a wireless charger built into the base of the tray. it removes the USB socket so the tray now easily accepts my phone. The quality is excellent and the instructions pretty comprehensive. To install you simply fit a supplied Y-branch cable inline to a 12v socket, rear passenger footwell is the easiest to access. You then run the new extra power cable up to the new tray and plug into the wireless charger pad. You can download the install instructions before you purchase to see what is involved.

I followed the instructions and very soon I had the gear lever surround/phone tray unit removed and in my hands. At this point I discovered a thin plastic module about the size of a credit card clipped to the base of the existing tray, I now realise this to be the Advanced Phone Preparation module which uses an inductive loop to connect to the exterior antenna.It has two connections - a coax type for the antenna and a small multiplug for power. This was easily slid out of the tray mounting and at the moment I have it dangling to the side of the phone tray. So my new wireless charging tray is installed and I am a happy chappy. the next job is to fit a CarPlay2Air adaptor that gives wireless CarPlay.

So the reason for this post at last is to see if anyone else has come across this APP module, I can leave it fully connected and tucked down the side of the centre console no problem, just wonder if it will be effective in serving its purpose there, (I suspect not!). Any comments or advice welcome.
    Thanks for this,

8 days ago I picked up a 2017 R-Line Estate and it has bugged me a lot that my phone (Samsung S21) doesn't fit in the tray. Looks like you have also answered the connecting to the car piece as well, did you ever get anywhere with finding out if it the Car2Play adapter works? That means I can go ahead and do the tray conversion.

Thanks

0 0 0

4. Re: Wireless Charging/Advanced Phone Preparation 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    I am sure I read somewhere else that these kits fit left hand drive cars only. I could be wrong but worth checking wherever you are in the world so that you get the right kit for your car.

0 0 0

5. Re: Wireless Charging/Advanced Phone Preparation 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi,
    The CarPlay adaptor works well, I have the Carlink 2.0 - if you want wireless CarPlay that is definitely the way to go. Ended up ditching the Inbay charging unit, the cubby was still a little on the small side. Have reverted to stock and now use an Apple wireless charger instead. Inbay is for sale on eBay if you are interested!

0 0 0