1. Re: A6 3.0 TDI - new pads and discs prices 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    GSF have 60% off brake parts at the moment. I would buy Brembo and DIY. Easy to do. When I first had an EPB I bought an icarsoft OBD tool for releasing the EPB and the cost of the parts and tool were cheaper than dealer for parts. Incidentally I only changed the rears due to corrosion and the Brembo disks stayed corrosion free.

0 0 0

2. Re: A6 3.0 TDI - new pads and discs prices 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lynalldiscovery View Post
    I think the 3.0tdi has much bigger brakes than the 2.0 litre, rears are vented as well as the fronts?

Iirc the rear discs on the wifes 3.0tdi are bigger than the front ones on my discovery!
    Thanks for this. Dealer also verified that by sending me 2.0L and 3.0L brake quotes. 2.0L are 320mm diameter and the 3.0L are 345mm (and Brembo, can't recall who makes the 2L ones).

Still irked a little that the visual inspection vid they sent 2 weeks ago when the car went in for an electronics fault showed 6mm still left and the technician states "loads of life left".

A week later my brake warning light comes on, and with a more thorough check it transpires they've worn unevenly and there's actually 2mm left on the fronts and 3mm on the rear .... apparently they only check the easiest part to see/reach on the pads for the complementary health check.

So what is the point of checking then??

In fairness I've done 32,000 miles so I guess that's about right for replacing pads and discs but it would have been nice to get more accurate info from the healthcheck. And a bill for £1050 to change fronts and rears

0 0 0

3. Re: A6 3.0 TDI - new pads and discs prices 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinxit View Post
    GSF have 60% off brake parts at the moment. I would buy Brembo and DIY. Easy to do. When I first had an EPB I bought an icarsoft OBD tool for releasing the EPB and the cost of the parts and tool were cheaper than dealer for parts. Incidentally I only changed the rears due to corrosion and the Brembo disks stayed corrosion free.
    I'm a car numpty. Only now do I regret messing around with my mates when my dad basically took his rustbucket Alfa to pieces and back again every Sunday when I was little.

0 1 0

4. Re: A6 3.0 TDI - new pads and discs prices 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lynalldiscovery View Post
    I think the 3.0tdi has much bigger brakes than the 2.0 litre, rears are vented as well as the fronts?

Iirc the rear discs on the wifes 3.0tdi are bigger than the front ones on my discovery!
    That's ECP listings for you! Which is wrong for my 3.0.
    Well looking at a proper Audi parts catalogue, there a quite a few variants of disc sizes fitted to the A6 depending on spec and engine size and engine power output.

0 0 0

5. Re: A6 3.0 TDI - new pads and discs prices 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    98 Post(s)
    Check the pr code in your service book or boot and you can see what brakes you have fitted when cross ref'd on ETKA
    RS6 Performance Ascari Blue, Carbon Ceramics Brakes and lots more.
    A6 BiTdi Avant MTM
    Retrofitted: Full Led Headlights, DAB, Full Electric Seats, Surround View Cameras, Genuine RS6 Grille, RS6 Seats,Leather Door Armrests, Soft Close Doors, Rear Side Blinds,High Beam Assist, Eibach Springs, Led Roof Console, 4 Zone Climate, Rear Heated Seats, Head Up Display, Side assist, Alcantara Interior Retrim

0 0 0

6. Re: A6 3.0 TDI - new pads and discs prices 
    Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrNicenice View Post
    Hi - hoping for some advice here.

My A6 needs news pads and discs at front and rear. My dealer offers different prices for 2.0 litre and under cars so obv I'm in the higher bracket and the price is a £200 delta.

What difference in their costs would there be for a larger engine car when replacing brake parts?

Thanks in advance
    Do yourself a favour Grab your code sheet in the manual or somewhere in the boot, and punch it into the Audi PR code decoder.
    You'll find your brake codes in there. Then go to ECP and look up your reg, find the disks/pads that match your PR codes add them to the baset, and add todays coupon and get a price.
    They will then offer you "installation"....FWIW, discs/pads all-round - £140 for my A6.

Then get a quote on your reg from ClickMechanic - then mail them about your quote and ask what discs/pads they will use.
    They'll call you and then you can say "what if I want these ones".....I did this, and they said OE manufacturer on my specific vehicle was Pagid, but what did I want.....and then we discussed Brembo.
    Front/Rear discs and pads on mine was £530 (from memory) done 48 hours after I booked, at home, with Brembo parts, which the mechanic was very careful to show me were the real deal, as there is a tendency for some less-than-honest-types to put non-premium brand parts in the box and charge you for premium....

Personally couldn't be happier, and the savings over the dealer rates was enough to pay for the next service and full set of Goodyears.....so quite significant!

And FWIW, a close friend of mine just got a price from ClickMechanic (nearly the same as mine - think it was max 50 quid more) and the guy turned up 48 hours later with Genuine discs/pads....

D.

0 0 0

7. Re: A6 3.0 TDI - new pads and discs prices 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrNicenice View Post
    Thanks for this. Dealer also verified that by sending me 2.0L and 3.0L brake quotes. 2.0L are 320mm diameter and the 3.0L are 345mm (and Brembo, can't recall who makes the 2L ones).

Still irked a little that the visual inspection vid they sent 2 weeks ago when the car went in for an electronics fault showed 6mm still left and the technician states "loads of life left".

A week later my brake warning light comes on, and with a more thorough check it transpires they've worn unevenly and there's actually 2mm left on the fronts and 3mm on the rear .... apparently they only check the easiest part to see/reach on the pads for the complementary health check.

So what is the point of checking then??

In fairness I've done 32,000 miles so I guess that's about right for replacing pads and discs but it would have been nice to get more accurate info from the healthcheck. And a bill for £1050 to change fronts and rears
    32,000 miles should just be pads. Discs should be fine unless warped etc.
    And only if you have been stomping on the brakes all the time, with cheap sandpaper based pads should you need discs.

front pads are an easy diy job. Rear discs need the reset tool for the EPB.

In all my driving years, I have only had to replace discs twice.

0 0 0

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12