Notices
 
 

  

User Tag List

Thread: Audi Connect

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 42
  1. Re: Audi Connect 
    #31
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    1,660
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by muumipeikko View Post
    I have a neighbour who bought one of those (hybrid q7 on 16 plate maybe very early 17). It does what it's suppose to but it's no silver bullet for what 16/17 owners have lost. Basically it just saves you having to pull your phone out of your pocket and plug it in. You still have no VC map and no HUD integration for navigation but if you have reconciled yourself to carplay then for less than £100 it's well worth it IMHO to not have to faff around finding your phone.
    Their is one obvious issue/flaw, if you do short journeys you will be fine but if you tend to do couple of hour trips, it might be pointless as this will drain your phone battery to the point on longer journeys you will need to plug it in anyway to charge it...
    The flaw is a great point....a lot of my day to day journeys when they re-start will be short local ish so would be great - especially for work commute when back in the office. However a pain on longer journeys as youíve pointed out as donít think my phone fits on the wireless pad either

    I agree 110% losing the Google overview in MMI Screen/VC and HUD directions is an absolute pain and this doesnít cover it at all.

    As will be losing the 2 phones on Bluetooth with CarPlay, but I really donít like the standard maps.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
     
    0 0 0
     

  2. Re: Audi Connect 
    #32
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    U.K.
    Posts
    302
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    76 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by muumipeikko View Post
    I think Audi are just doing the classic soft sunset of support for older models. At the end of the day, your £140/year gets you everything above including the satellite map overlay and bandwidth, its just you dont have the hardware to support it...
    At the end of the day, unless I've missed something really great, I dont think anyone in their right mind would pay for this without the maps bit. That is the selling point, people driving 60-90k cars will stump up a crazy amounts for what was probably the major selling feature of the car when they bought it.
    Actually it doesnít the licences for the non-available services (including Google Maps) donít extend, despite me being charged the ďfullĒ £140 (hence my question). I think (but unsure as I canít see!) the new version of Google Maps is called something slightly different with a new licence/service.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    | Q7 3.0 TDi ABT Power 325bhp MY16 S-Line Tech/Tour/Trailer packs, orca black, 21 inch 9.5J rims, rotor grey leather, sunroof, BOSE, ambient lighting, reversing cam, drivers memory seat. Gtechniq Crystal Serum Ultra ceramic coating |
     
    0 0 0
     

  3. Re: Audi Connect 
    #33
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Hungary
    Posts
    819
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    110 Post(s)
    I would just like to note that we don’t even get the latest maps for this money because they want us to pay for these too.

    That’s why I'm still wondering with a Carplay, as I don’t understand Audi’s idea of trying to sell me something that I can use for free in their car, using the MMI buttons. However IMHO, the entire World's real weirdest thing is that they want to ask for money for something they can’t even provide, while I can use it for free in my car. (Google Earth&skin).

    That’s why I’m still very curious as to who was that genius manager who figured it to try to ask for money they can’t provide, but anyone can use for free.
    Audi Q7/4M MY2016, 3.0 TDI/200 KW Quattro
     
    0 0 0
     

  4. Re: Audi Connect 
    #34
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    1,660
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wardienet View Post
    Actually it doesnít the licences for the non-available services (including Google Maps) donít extend, despite me being charged the ďfullĒ £140 (hence my question). I think (but unsure as I canít see!) the new version of Google Maps is called something slightly different with a new licence/service.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Yeah itís called ĎSatellite Viewí now


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
     
    1 1 0
     

  5. Re: Audi Connect 
    #35
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    69
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AT. View Post
    I would just like to note that we don’t even get the latest maps for this money because they want us to pay for these too.

    That’s why I'm still wondering with a Carplay, as I don’t understand Audi’s idea of trying to sell me something that I can use for free in their car, using the MMI buttons. However IMHO, the entire World's real weirdest thing is that they want to ask for money for something they can’t even provide, while I can use it for free in my car. (Google Earth&skin).

    That’s why I’m still very curious as to who was that genius manager who figured it to try to ask for money they can’t provide, but anyone can use for free.
    It's frustrating I know but the reality is this isn't really Audi's fault. The world is full of people who bought a product which was reliant on a Google service only some exec at Google to wake up and decide that service is non-core so they will stop support for it thus making the original product an expensive brick. My understanding is the satellite map overlay was one of these. I think in a way we are victims of Audi's naivety in that everyone knows, you dont build a expensive product designed to last a decade or more on a Google service...

    As for Audi trying to charge you for something you can get for free, this is again common on the Google model. Anyone can log into Google finance and get almost any stock price in the world, its a great service. As a financial services professional though I have to pay bloomberg 20k/year for the same data! why? Well google.T&C state you cant use their data for comercial purposes, if you want to you need to license it from them at great cost normally!

    I look at it like this, Audi are bundling a group of products into a package at a single price. some users can't use some features, other can use them all. If I walk into the supermarket and buy a tin of Cadbury roses, would I want up to the services desk and complain and ask for a discount as I can't eat the strawberry and coffee ones as they make me feel sick? no, I make a choice, does the enjoyment from the toffee and hazelnut ones justify the price on their own? If not,. I dont buy them!
     
    0 0 0
     

  6. Re: Audi Connect 
    #36
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Hungary
    Posts
    819
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    110 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by muumipeikko View Post
    It's frustrating I know but the reality is this isn't really Audi's fault. The world is full of people who bought a product which was reliant on a Google service only some exec at Google to wake up and decide that service is non-core so they will stop support for it thus making the original product an expensive brick.
    Honestly, until it's a free service, then they really have the right to say, "it was free until now, but that's all folks, now it doesn't exists any more". In this case, yes, C'est La vie, it could be treated like this. However if in the very same time the useleless brickmanufacturer intend to charge for the usage of their useless brick, then it's seems fairly unacceptable for me, mostly if they can support the successor service on their later models. This means in short, that they knew about this case years earlier, as the new models can support the new system while they still sold the old bricks! For me, this is in general a totally unacceptable thing, and IMHO in this case it should be the very minimum for Audi to:

    - let the older model's owners have this feature for a reasonable price. Notice: It was a main selling point in this case to have the Google earth on the DIS, and mostly on the VC.
    - it's not an acceptable thing to ask for money for a service that they can't serve! It's absolutely against the law.
    - the current "package" can't be treated as a bundling, because you haven't got the chance to purchase only the requested services.

    So and IMHO, to remove a feature in the same time when they trying to ask for money for that - I'm sorry to say, but it's absolutely not a premium service, but a thief's mind. Aber, das ist wirklich ein Diebens Vorsprung der Technik.
    Audi Q7/4M MY2016, 3.0 TDI/200 KW Quattro
     
    0 1 0
     

  7. Re: Audi Connect 
    #37
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    69
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AT. View Post
    Honestly, until it's a free service, then they really have the right to say, "it was free until now, but that's all folks, now it doesn't exists any more". In this case, yes, C'est La vie, it could be treated like this. However if in the very same time the useleless brickmanufacturer intend to charge for the usage of their useless brick, then it's seems fairly unacceptable for me, mostly if they can support the successor service on their later models. This means in short, that they knew about this case years earlier, as the new models can support the new system while they still sold the old bricks! For me, this is in general a totally unacceptable thing, and IMHO in this case it should be the very minimum for Audi to:

    - let the older model's owners have this feature for a reasonable price. Notice: It was a main selling point in this case to have the Google earth on the DIS, and mostly on the VC.
    - it's not an acceptable thing to ask for money for a service that they can't serve! It's absolutely against the law.
    - the current "package" can't be treated as a bundling, because you haven't got the chance to purchase only the requested services.

    So and IMHO, to remove a feature in the same time when they trying to ask for money for that - I'm sorry to say, but it's absolutely not a premium service, but a thief's mind. Aber, das ist wirklich ein Diebens Vorsprung der Technik.
    I think you could argue this until the cows came home and it wouldn't make a blind bit of difference but I think its a big strong to accuse Audi of any dishonesty here as they are open and honest, taking the bundle is not going to fix your maps unless your system is newer and can be patched. At the end of the day, sometime in 2017 they changed the hardware as they were probably informed the existing service was going to be discontinued.
    What do you want them to do? not support satellite overlay for the majority as a minority of people can use them any more? Start bespoke pricing across their entire range of services based on what services you can consume? do you have any idea how many possible different configurations of just the 2017 model their are? should my full service cost be a few £ less than my friends as I don't have air suspension and checking that is a bow item on the service? oh but wait I have the fancy headlights he doesn't, maybe I should pay a bit more for that? it gets ridiculous and that's one year of one model!

    If you get a discount Good for you, don't ask you dont get! we are all annoyed about the maps but it's time to move on.
     
    0 0 0
     

  8. Re: Audi Connect 
    #38
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Hungary
    Posts
    819
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    110 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by muumipeikko View Post
    What do you want them to do?
    I don’t feel like I have too many needs.

    I’d just wish they didn’t look me like a fool, an idiot, or a bottomless money bag. Instead, I want to feel, that their most important thing in this world is my satisfaction, and becaue of this, let my next car be an Audi too. Therefore I can't treat any idea which intends to suggest, that "what I want in my junkyard aged old crap, buy a new one and let's go on". IMHO it's definitely not a valuable thinking in this market. At least, there are several competitors on the market, who never did such things what Audi did in the last years. However, you are right in one aspect. If all of these are all right to you, and you agree with these terms, then you will be their next customer, but for sure it will not be me.

    Maybe it's the right time for them to notice, that hey, WE WERE the customers.
    Audi Q7/4M MY2016, 3.0 TDI/200 KW Quattro
     
    0 0 0
     

  9. Re: Audi Connect 
    #39
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    1,660
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemo78 View Post
    Iím thinking about this device to make CarPlay wireless - yes It still wonít do the maps on VC but I can live with that - Iíd really miss the traffic especially if life starts to get back to normal July time and being wireless just makes it so much more simple.

    It says it supports Audi 2017-209 but being a 2016 Iím not sure if mine will be or wonít be. Will try and drop them a message.

    Access denied

    Thinking about it I really need to stop monthly sim connection as thatíll be useless when the licences expire in April.

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    So Iíve bitten the bullet and ordered this CPlay2air...letís see if itís any good!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
     
    0 1 0
     

  10. Re: Audi Connect 
    #40
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Leek, Staffordshire
    Posts
    47
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    Hi

    My "free" three years is up next week on my E-tron.

    Could someone please confirm what I would be left with, if I don't renew.

    In particular, I regularly use the myAudi app to check the vehicle status (charge level, whether locked, etc) and where my wife has parked it. I also find the auxiliary air conditioning feature very useful to remotely start climate control on these frosty mornings.

    I am not worried about the Google map overlay but do find traffic updates to route planning useful.

    If I don't renew, would I have to put in my own SIM to use the myAudi app?

    I assume that if I do renew, the embedded SIM will continue to work.

    Cheers
     
    0 0 0
     

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 15-04-2018, 10:52 PM
  2. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-06-2017, 01:55 PM
  3. Audi Connect - Audi added Euro Champs to the menu
    By srbsq7 in forum Q7 - 4M Forum - 2016 -
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-06-2016, 11:23 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 15-05-2016, 01:38 PM
  5. Please Help VCDS wont connect to my car anymore but will connect to my wifes
    By ads1980 in forum Audi A4 - B6 Forum - 2002 - 2005
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-12-2014, 01:35 AM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


 



  


Disclaimer: VW Audi Forum is an "independant enthusiast website", administered in line with guidelines supplied by VAG in the UK, and is in no way related to any of the Worldwide Volkswagen,Audi,Seat,Skoda,Bentley,Bugatti,Porsche or Lamborghini group of Companies. For official up to date information on any of there vehicles, please visit the official websites. Any comments made throughout this website, are the views of the respective poster, and in no way represent the views of the VW Audi Forum Administration, or the worldwide Volkswagen & Audi Group of companies.


VW Audi Forum do not vet and are not responsible for any information which is posted in this forum. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and we do not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.


Copyright: Certain "words", "phrases" and "Images" used on this website by the Administration are "Copyright" of Volkswagen GB, Volkswagen AG (Germany), Audi GB, Audi AG (Germany), Volkswagen Motorsport GB, Volkswagen Motorsport AG (Germany), Audi Motorsport AG (Germany), Volkswagen Racing GB, Bentley, Bugatti, Porsche and Lamborghini. No image can be replicated by anyone WITHOUT the relevant Companies written permission.


All trademarks and copyrights remain property of their respective owners.

No part of the VW Audi Forum website or forum may be reproduced without written permission from the site administration


PLEASE NOTE - PERSONAL ABUSE, ABUSE AGAINST THIS OR ANY OTHER WEBSITE OR ANY COMPANY WILL NOT BE TOLERATED. OFFENDERS WILL BE MODERATED OR EVEN BANNED.


This website and forum are best viewed at a minimum resolution of 1024 by 768.



  



- VW AUDI Forum - The #1 Volkswagen (VW) Group Forum - Volkswagen (VW) - Audi - Seat - Skoda - Bentley - Bugatti - Lamborghini - Porsche - Scania - MAN - Ducatti - VW Audi Forum -


- www.vwaudiforum.co.uk - www.vwaudiforum.co.uk -