1. Question Planning to buy a 2016 Q7 - questions for owners 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Hi everyone, I'm a new member, currently in the process of searching for an ultimate family SUV.

I've got an A6 which is now starting to get a tad small, especially because we frequently cart half our house around the continent.

My budget is in the 31k region, meaning I should be able to get a decent used approved 2015/2016 Q7 with under 50k on the clock.

Some questions, based on the spec and options:

• Tour pack - adaptive cruise control and lane assist. Realistically, do you use it? In theory sounds great for long motorway journeys but then again I realised I hardly ever use basic cruise control in my A6.
    • BOSE vs "regular" audio - is BOSE worth it, is there a noticeable difference? Got BOSE in my A6 but haven't really got any point of reference.
    • Virtual cockpit - I know it uses Google Maps, but does it also show speed camera locations, or is there a way to retrofit this functionality? I saw a thread about purchasing and installing a third party option (£20 ish a year I think) but surely there's got to be a way to fully intergrate Google Maps into MMI?
    • Panoramic roof - looks great but is this something that impresses for a couple of days and then gets forgotten about?
    • Any must-have, practical options in your opinion?

Common faults:
    • Saw coolant leak mentioned a fair few times, so aware of this. Any quick & easy way to spot this while inspecting the car?
    • Anything else I should be keeping an eye out for?
    • Any other tips?
    • Anything you wish you had known before buying yours?

Thanks for taking the time to read this - look forward to any replies!

0 0 0

2. Re: Planning to buy a 2016 Q7 - questions for owners 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    65 Post(s)
    I was an owner of Q7 3.0TDI for almost 5 years and this car was sold by me with 65k km on the clock. This car was from the first production lot (5/2015) and that is why at the beginning I was afraid of some "childhood diseases". After the first year, I decided to increase the engine power to 325PS installing ABT engine computer.
    During these almost 5 years of my ownership, I had no any major issues with the car. Only some creaking of windows and sunroof seals which were solved by silicone paste and never solved problem with soft closing doors system which sometimes was not working - but nobody knew why and how to fix it. All the rest was perfect: no any engine, transmission or suspensions problems. The software of the car was 3 times updated by Audi during the standard warranty services.
    The car was very comfortable, silent (soundproof windows) and moderate in fuel consumption. However, the cost of servicing was relatively high (oil, brake pads, discs, filters, etc.), higher than A6 which I also owned in the past. Despite of these costs (expected), I was very happy with Q7 and I can recommend it with a clear conscience.

Now, let me please add my 2 cents to the option recommendations.

- Tour pack: not very valuable option for me. In Q7 4M this system is not fully refined and sometimes is more annoying than helpful.
    - Bose: much better than standard system. Worth to have it
    - Virtual cockpit: for me absolutely must have. Many configurable options. Probably one of the best VC among modern cars.
    - Panoramic roof: nice option makes the interior lighter but in older cars risk of creaking and leakage.

My must have and good to have options:

- HUD: very useful. Now, I can't imagine having the car without this option.
    - Matrix LED lights: in my opinion one of the best hight-tech options available for the car. If you see it how it is working you will get rid of any doubts that this options is worth any money.
    - 360 degree cameras: in the car of this size very useful option. Parking sensors are OK but omnidirectional cameras do the job. You will appreciate this option in the narrow places.
    - Steering rear wheels: as above, very useful option especially in the cities when this big car is maneuverable as almost compact car.
    - Air suspension: not must have but good to have. Car is more comfortable and has increased highway and off-road capabilities. But in older cars could be faulty and expensive in servicing.

All other options are of course nice to have but depend of individual preferences. When buying Q7 check brake discs, pads and tyres. Due to the weight, this car wears these elements more than average and the cost of these parts is high. It would be also good to connect the car to the computer and check if is error free. With this level of electronic sophistication it is good to know it everything works correctly. All other pre-buying checks as standard.

Good luck in your choices!

0 0 0

3. Re: Planning to buy a 2016 Q7 - questions for owners 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks for a comprehensive reply, much appreciated, really helpful.

I've put a deposit down on something that has got everything you mentioned apart from rear wheel steering. The car's mid 2016 with 25k on the clock, directly from Audi. Should the age be of concern in terms of air suspension do you think?

Now wondering whether I need air suspension and the tour pack - can the latter be easily turned off?

As for VC - did yours show speed traps, accident locations etc, like mobile Google Maps do?

0 0 0

4. Re: Planning to buy a 2016 Q7 - questions for owners 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clydefrog85 View Post
    Thanks for a comprehensive reply, much appreciated, really helpful.

I've put a deposit down on something that has got everything you mentioned apart from rear wheel steering. The car's mid 2016 with 25k on the clock, directly from Audi. Should the age be of concern in terms of air suspension do you think?

Now wondering whether I need air suspension and the tour pack - can the latter be easily turned off?

As for VC - did yours show speed traps, accident locations etc, like mobile Google Maps do?

The car with 25k on the clock is rather "young" and shouldn't have any problems with air suspension. It becomes risky if the car has more than 100k but even such a milage doesn't mean necessarily problems with air suspension.
    Cruise Control and Lane Assist could be switched off in MMI, via button on indicator knob or permanently via coding.
    VC shows navigation from MMI with satellite maps, traffic jams and road construction. You have to be online (Audi connect) to have these extra information. Google Maps are available via CarPlay but I am afraid that mid 2016 model didn't have this option yet. I think that in 2016 model CarPlay will need some system retrofit - but here you have to ask our expert andyhud007. I had no CarPlay in my car produced mid 2015. Now I have SQ8 in which wireless CarPlay works perfectly.

0 0 0

5. Re: Planning to buy a 2016 Q7 - questions for owners 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    78 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retom View Post
    The car with 25k on the clock is rather "young" and shouldn't have any problems with air suspension. It becomes risky if the car has more than 100k but even such a milage doesn't mean necessarily problems with air suspension.
    Cruise Control and Lane Assist could be switched off in MMI, via button on indicator knob or permanently via coding.
    VC shows navigation from MMI with satellite maps, traffic jams and road construction. You have to be online (Audi connect) to have these extra information. Google Maps are available via CarPlay but I am afraid that mid 2016 model didn't have this option yet. I think that in 2016 model CarPlay will need some system retrofit - but here you have to ask our expert andyhud007. I had no CarPlay in my car produced mid 2015. Now I have SQ8 in which wireless CarPlay works perfectly.
    I had CarPlay retrofitted by dealer no problems on my Dec 15 car. Another touring option I use is the automatic towbar, very clever. I love the adjustable air suspension and the HUD too. Great safety feature to keep your eyes on the road. BOSE sound comes with massive subwoofer (in space for spare tyre!). Moon roof lets lot of light in. No leak issues on that for me but I have had the coolant issue. Check the coolant level as if it’s low or abnormally high (eg just topped up) it may be a sign. I’ve also got the ABT Power upgrade. See sig. good luck it’s a great car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    | Q7 3.0 TDi ABT Power 325bhp MY16 S-Line Tech/Tour/Trailer packs, orca black, 21 inch 9.5J rims, rotor grey leather, sunroof, BOSE, ambient lighting, reversing cam, drivers memory seat. Gtechniq Crystal Serum Ultra ceramic coating |

0 0 0

6. Re: Planning to buy a 2016 Q7 - questions for owners 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks for the replies!

Quote Originally Posted by wardienet View Post
    I had CarPlay retrofitted by dealer no problems on my Dec 15 car.

Could I ask what's the rough cost? Is it just a software thing?

0 0 0

7. Re: Planning to buy a 2016 Q7 - questions for owners 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    78 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clydefrog85 View Post
    Thanks for the replies!
    Could I ask what's the rough cost? Is it just a software thing?
    I think full retail with installing it would have been £250-300 but I got a big discount on it as the dealer I bought the car from had kind of implied it was available on the car I bought verbally.
    It's just some licence codes on a bit of paper in a box that need entering and then some sort of connection of the car MMI s/w back to HQ to configure it all. I'm sure Andy or others know how it works. I don't know if its a DIY job or not. However there were some very early MY16's built in 2015 its not compatible with so VIN needs checking. I was lucky.

0 0 0

8. Re: Planning to buy a 2016 Q7 - questions for owners 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    Tour pack is the most important option in my opinion, I use adaptive cruise all the time, works really well on motorway, combined with lane assist, it almost like auto pilot. Even on built up area I use it to let it follow front car, it can bring the car to complete stop and start again if the front car start to move within 2 seconds (traffic jam assist). It adjusts the max cruise speed automatically based on map data & traffic sign recognition, and will slow down for roundabouts and big bends..

and normally if you have tour pack you have air suspension - it makes the car ride better and a cool party piece to be able to change the ride height and drop the rear for loading.
    Q7 272PS S-Line | Tech Pack | Dyn Pack | Tour Pack Adv | Leather Pack | Park Assist Pack | Comfort & Sound Pack | All-Wheel Steering | Matrix | Pan Roof | Drv+Pass Mem Seats | Full Valcona | Heated Rear Seats | Night Vision | BOSE | Heat+Snd Ins Glass | Heated Windscreen | Heated Steering Wheel | Adv Key | Side Assist | Air Susp | Ambient Lighting | Heated Mirrors | 360 Cameras | Rear Airbags | Glacier White | Gloss Black Alloys | Carbon Door Mirrors | Black Roof Rails | Rear Sunblinds | Audi LED Entry Lights | De-badged

0 1 0

9. Re: Planning to buy a 2016 Q7 - questions for owners 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    78 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jldiablo View Post
    Tour pack is the most important option in my opinion, I use adaptive cruise all the time, works really well on motorway, combined with lane assist, it almost like auto pilot. Even on built up area I use it to let it follow front car, it can bring the car to complete stop and start again if the front car start to move within 2 seconds (traffic jam assist). It adjusts the max cruise speed automatically based on map data & traffic sign recognition, and will slow down for roundabouts and big bends..

and normally if you have tour pack you have air suspension - it makes the car ride better and a cool party piece to be able to change the ride height and drop the rear for loading.
    +1 the ACC when it works with all the predictive efficiency assist and mapping data it is pretty awesome e.g. it automatically slows to a crawl for junctions, reduces speed for bends etc. It makes drives long distances a breeze. Between that and lane assist the car almost drives itself. I’m surprised Audi don’t make more of a marketing deal of that, but I guess they are working on higher level autonomy features before making a massive deal of it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    | Q7 3.0 TDi ABT Power 325bhp MY16 S-Line Tech/Tour/Trailer packs, orca black, 21 inch 9.5J rims, rotor grey leather, sunroof, BOSE, ambient lighting, reversing cam, drivers memory seat. Gtechniq Crystal Serum Ultra ceramic coating |

0 0 0

10. Re: Planning to buy a 2016 Q7 - questions for owners 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks for this - some great points there. I wasn't initially sold on the tour pack but it sounds like a really useful option now.

The Q7 that I'm looking at is a 2016 with around 25k on the clock - saw the history, looks like it's been driven locally with relatively frequent oil changes, so will keep an eye out on any DPF issues.

One odd thing - it's an SE version, but loaded to its eyeballs with options. It kind of comes with the same equipment as an S-line + loads more. I've had a look at the differences between the SE and the S-line and it looks like it's mostly cosmetic body differences, and less kit (in the base model).

Another thing - it's got 21 inch alloys and air suspension...is the ride quality likely to be crashy?

I've test driven a few other 7-seaters of similar age and mileage but don't think anything comes close to Q7:
    X5 - poorer options and not a fan of the "sporty" feel
    XC90 - really disappointing in terms of performance, cabin noise and comfort...this was my original first choice
    Range Rover Sport - nice enough and with lots of presence but the infotaintment looks like it was designed by the same people that wrote Windows 98
    Disco Sport - probably my second choice at this stage

Again, thanks for the input everyone and feel free to comment with anything else you wish you had known before you bought yours!

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast