1. BiTDi Aux belt- Is this normal? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    98 Post(s)
    Had my belt slip off recently for some unknown reason. Only thing i can think of is coolant from the water pump leaked onto the belt causing it to slip off the tensioner or aux roller. I have repaired the water pump leak and fitted a new belt and car runs fine but im a little concerned as to where the belt sits on the tensioner roller and the aux roller.
    Can anyone with a bitdi please check to see if yours are the same. Can easily be viewed from above with a torch .

IMG_20200528_142948 (Large).jpgIMG_20200528_142852 (Large).jpg
    RS6 Performance Ascari Blue, Carbon Ceramics Brakes and lots more.
    A6 BiTdi Avant MTM
    Retrofitted: Full Led Headlights, DAB, Full Electric Seats, Surround View Cameras, Genuine RS6 Grille, RS6 Seats,Leather Door Armrests, Soft Close Doors, Rear Side Blinds,High Beam Assist, Eibach Springs, Led Roof Console, 4 Zone Climate, Rear Heated Seats, Head Up Display, Side assist, Alcantara Interior Retrim

0 0 0

2. Re: BiTDi Aux belt- Is this normal? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    How does the tensioner pulley look compared to all the other pulleys?

0 0 0

3. Re: BiTDi Aux belt- Is this normal? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    98 Post(s)
    !st picture is the tensioner pully (pic is upside!!??) and 2nd pic is the static pulley by the alternator
    A6 BiTdi Avant MTM
    Retrofitted: Full Led Headlights, DAB, Full Electric Seats, Surround View Cameras, Genuine RS6 Grille, RS6 Seats,Leather Door Armrests, Soft Close Doors, Rear Side Blinds,High Beam Assist, Eibach Springs, Led Roof Console, 4 Zone Climate, Rear Heated Seats, Head Up Display, Side assist, Alcantara Interior Retrim

0 0 0

4. Re: BiTDi Aux belt- Is this normal? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    I would take belt off and check for free play or some sort of callapse on them. It will throw the belt off again, it's probably only the shoulders of the pulleys keeping it on

0 0 0

5. Re: BiTDi Aux belt- Is this normal? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    98 Post(s)
    I checked them for any play or bearing noise when i had the belt off.. Both seem fine. Both of the rollers are flat and have no lip/shoulder on them.
    A6 BiTdi Avant MTM

0 0 0

6. Re: BiTDi Aux belt- Is this normal? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by morski View Post
    !st picture is the tensioner pully (pic is upside!!??) and 2nd pic is the static pulley by the alternator

I will try and explain better, I am terrible for only telling half the story!
    What happens on every vehicle with aut belt tensioner, is the bush wears in the pivoting part of the tensioner ( the arm bit with the pulley wheel on) the pivot bush wears and allows the pulley to sit at an angle compared to all the other pulleys, the angle causes the belt to skip to one side, as it jumps back that is the squeak many people hear but ignore, so what I reckon you have is a ******* tensioner causing the pulley to run ****** thus causing the belt to try and pop off.
    So you new belt is not the answer, you also need a tensioner.

If you can scrounge a 12 inch steel ruler you can hold the ruler edge on the pulley edges, and you will be albe to see which one is at an angle.

I assume you have checked the crank damper for worn rubber/cracks? changed the one on my wifes 2013 3.0tdi recently.

0 0 0

7. Re: BiTDi Aux belt- Is this normal? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    98 Post(s)
    Tried the ruler but wasnt getting anywhere as its very narrow down there...So took off the belt again and there is a small amount of wobble/play in the 2 guide pulleys, The tensioner is rock solid. Dampner is also solid and no signs of rubber cracks etc.
    Ended up stripping the top section of the engine as i saw a small pool of coolant in the V of the engine..Turned out to big pool of mess of accumulated coolant, leaves, feathers and other crap... Going to order some new seals for everything down there and clean it up..
    A6 BiTdi Avant MTM

0 0 0

8. Re: BiTDi Aux belt- Is this normal? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    I would still suspect the tensioner, when back together watch the tens pulley closely, it will bounce up and down that is normal, what you want to see is the belt running smack bang in the middle of the pulley, off to one said and there is a good chance the bush has had it.

0 0 0

9. Re: BiTDi Aux belt- Is this normal? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    98 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lynalldiscovery View Post
    I would still suspect the tensioner, when back together watch the tens pulley closely, it will bounce up and down that is normal, what you want to see is the belt running smack bang in the middle of the pulley, off to one said and there is a good chance the bush has had it.
    Thanks,
    2 new pulleys and a belt tensioner are on order. So will see how it goes and update the thread as well.
    A6 BiTdi Avant MTM

0 1 0

10. Re: BiTDi Aux belt- Is this normal? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    98 Post(s)
    Well replaced the tensioner and 2 other pulleys, resealed the water pump as audi dont sell a gasket on its own.
    Manged to find a brand new genuine EGR cooler for £110 instead of the Audi price of £750!! and even though it was not knackered it was worth it as these can leak and then its pain in the butt again.
    Oil and coolant change and fully rebuilt back up its running lovely smooth and quiet.
    I think the whole thing needs to readapt having fitted the new egr for the mpg to pick up again. lets see..
    Thanks all
    A6 BiTdi Avant MTM

0 1 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast