0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi,

I have:

VW Crafter CDI CR 2008

Recently, when trying to start from cold - the engine cranks and turns over, if it fails to fire then the speed of cranking reduces to nil after a couple of spins despite the key being held in the start position, then turning the ignition on and off, the engine then cranks and starts. If the engine is warm, this does not happen.

This seem to be increasing in regularity, about once every 4-5 cold starts now.

I had the starter off to replace the solenoid April last year, I have had my head under the engine to check the cabling to the solenoid have not undone, I must admit I have not checked the battery clamps.

I suspect the glow plugs need replacing, as starting takes a few cranks, its been like it since I bought it.

Any thoughts and ways of diagnosing this odd issue

0 0 0

2. Re: Crafter starting cranks 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    It isn’t odd, the battery is weak and you need code read to see if there is anything else easy to see.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: Crafter starting cranks 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)
    Are you getting any small losses of coolant?

There was a guy with a 2l CR Skoda Superb, which probably has a similar engine.

He had identical symptoms as you.

It was the EGR cooler leaking coolant into the EGR, then on the first few turns of the starter, the coolant was being pushed into a cylinder that then hydrauliced stopping the engine turning.

Once the pressure dissipated it would turn over again & started ok, ran fine all day.

New EGR cooler cured his problem.

0 0 0

4. Re: Crafter starting cranks 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by philipharmes View Post
    New EGR cooler cured his problem.
    I have seen that a few times and heard of it a lot, a possible common consequence appears to be con rod failure after a while. In the old days it would have bent the forged rod(s) but these powdered metal ones don't give causing the upper rod shell to crush and ultimately fail, often causing the bearing (no locating tag design) to spin, weld itself to rod and crank, snap and stick its head out the side of the block.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

5. Re: Crafter starting cranks 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi,
    Thanks for your replies.

I have run a VCDS scan, no errors are reported, especially with battery.
    I have checked all the battery terminals are bolted up firmly.

I do not appear to be losing any coolant, neither can I see any mayonaise on the oil filler cap - presume both would be occuring.

EGR is weeping a ltint bit of oil, but understand that is quite normal.

I did think that some sort of a valve might not be opening - causing the starter unable to crank any further - once pressure had built up ...

Also thought it could be an electronics solenoid (on the main board), or starter solenoid contacts needing cleaning.

I did remove the EGR cooler last year to give it a clean out, but made sure new gaskets went on when refitting it (which was like trying to flip a pancake behind your back, and do a rubics cube all at the same time).

I also replaced the solenoid on the starter last year, the previous owner had had starting problems, the bolt lugs had been hit with a hammer and broken the hard plastic they are moulded into (presume he had had a sticky starter and tried clouting it - but no doubt missed).

Its always taken a few more cranks than I would expect to start (someone has suggested glow plugs are little tired), but has always started on first turn of the key - up until recently, the issue is definately getting worse, now requires and least two or three attempts to get engine to crank enough to point where it sparks and starts, good as gold rest of the day though.

0 0 0

6. Re: Crafter starting cranks 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    I wonder if it is not reaching sufficient cranking RPM? For the older models it was 280rpm but I will have to look it up next week.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

7. Re: Crafter starting cranks 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks.

With first start of the day the cranking RPM is normal on first few cranks, but then following cranks slow to a halt, could something be shorting the battery - curious why only on first start of the day does it do this, so I guess where its been sitting over night.

0 0 0

8. Re: Crafter starting cranks 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    This is under the engine, believe this 'leak' is from the EGR valve, but understand this is quite normal. I removed and decoked completely the EGR last summer.

280320202483.jpg

0 0 0

9. Re: Crafter starting cranks 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    The square unit is the oil cooler, the seals harden and shrink and then they leak.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

10. Re: Crafter starting cranks 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)
    Put a voltmeter accross the battery.

Note the initial voltage with the ignition on, then on the initial cranks & also when the engine won't turn any more.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast