Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks all for the replies.

I have taken volt readings this morning, but sods law - it started on first turnover, I did turn the ignition on and off twice briefly before cranking though, that happened with intending too, but I have found this helps with starting when that happens.

I will take another reading tomorrow morning.

Here are todays readings for what they are worth:

ignition off: 12.44v
    ignition on: 11.15v
    cranking: 4.64
    engine running: 13.61

0 0 0

2. Re: Crafter starting cranks 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)
    The fact that the battery voltage drops below 12v with just the ignition onmeans that either your battery is in a very poor state of charge or it's reached the end of its life.

4.6v on cranking is far too low.

Charge the battery fully then repeat the tests, but suspect you just need a new battery.

0 0 0

3. Re: Crafter starting cranks 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the comments, will give the battery a charge and post up results, is it that simple - any idea why turning the ignition on and off a few times prior to cranking aids in starting though ?

A new battery is easy to replace if needed, will look at a Bosch, but S4/, S5 or S6 ? am I correct that this number refers to the power of the battery ?

(update - current battery is an S3, Eurocarparts is suggesting an S4, does the difference matter ?)

0 0 0

4. Re: Crafter starting cranks 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Turning the ignition on and off a few times implies it is responding to the glow plugs being warmed up more.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

5. Re: Crafter starting cranks 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)
    "
    any idea why turning the ignition on and off a few times prior to cranking aids in starting though ? "

As well as the glow plugs, on some engines the fuel pump primes for a few seconds at key on.
    Don't know about your engine though.

This would help if there was any air in the fuel system, but doesn't fit in with your problems.

Regarding the battery, I would get the largest ( as in highest CCA amps ) I could afford & that will fit.

Look at Tayna Batteries site, they are a good supplier & reasonable prices.

0 0 0

6. Re: Crafter starting cranks 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Gave it a charge last night, strarted first time, many thanks for the advice.

Such a simple fix, I just didn't consider it.

Tanya Batteries Have a 700CCA battery (Enduraline ??) for £83, but Eurocarparts can do me an 800CCA Bosch C4 for £117.

The bosch C4 Battery is larger than what is in there now (Bosch S3), the S3 has a plastic block to hold it in place, presume you rermove that for the S4.

On a side matter, I have a SORNd golf, fitted a brand new Bosch S3 a week before laying it up, battery has been flat for a while (about 12 months) - is it dead and will need rerplacing - or could it be revived.

0 0 0

7. Re: Crafter starting cranks 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    If they go too low, dead, the plates can distort and the battery will never take charge again... however cteck chargers can often revive totally dead batteries.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

8. Re: Crafter starting cranks 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    I had a girlfriend called Tanya, she didn't have much staying power either...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 1 0

9. Re: Crafter starting cranks 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks all for your help, for what must have seemed like a dumb question.

I have installed a Type 19, Bosch S4 013 battery (as recommended by supplier), 95 Ah, CCA 800a, this replaces an S3 008 70Ah, CCA 640a - which I think was underpowered, the S4 is a much larger battery - it now has started after first crank, its never done that.

Readings on the meter:

Ign off: 12.56v
    Ign on: 12.13v
    Cranking: 10.80v
    Running 14.75v

Tanya Batteries did not suggest the S4 battery, so I didn't purchase it from them (@ £94.50, not sure if delivery is on top) ... Battery Megastore came in at £102.95 inc delivery.

0 0 0

10. Re: Crafter starting cranks 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)
    Good price for what sounds like a meaty battery.

New batteries don't come fully charged, you can see from your new voltage readings they are still not brilliant.

If the vehicle gets long runs from now it will charge fully via the alternator, but if it just gets short it runs would be a good idea to charge the new battery fully with a charger.

0 1 0

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast