1. MK6 Correct Battery Charging procedure 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    This is my first post asking for help and I'm hoping I can get the info I need from you more experienced guys.
    Went to start my 1.6 Golf TDI and not enough power in the battery to turn it over, (Multimeter shows 11.74 v across pos and neg terminals). Think its flat due to sitting unused for several weeks because of this COVID-19 problem, (unfortunately i'm of an age where I'm regarded as "vulnerable" and advised to stay indoors).

I firstly want to charge up it but I'm unsure on the correct method. It's many years since I charged a battery and that was on older cars that didn't have (what I think is) a separate earth clamp point next to the battery.
    Is it best to charge it on the vehicle and if so do I connect the neg charger clamp to the battery or the separate earth point?

Grateful for any guidance please.

0 0 0

2. Re: MK6 Correct Battery Charging procedure 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    If you’ve got a standard low current/trickle charger you can connect straight to the battery terminals

1 1 0

3. Re: MK6 Correct Battery Charging procedure 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1837 Post(s)
    In the next few weeks there is going to be a huge demand for new batteries, jump packs, chargers and breakdown call outs.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 1 0

4. Re: MK6 Correct Battery Charging procedure 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    If agm battery need smart charger and about £30 ish batt at 11.74 volts will need a good charge.
    You should charge at 10% of the batt capacity eg 68 ah charge at 6 or 7 amp fast charging is not good.
    Also 2 ah or 4 ah are cheaper will work but take longer to charge up

0 0 0

5. Re: MK6 Correct Battery Charging procedure 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    I've just replaced my golf battery with a new free one. When battery failed I couldn't open any doors with the remote. I had to open drivers door by removing the small handle end cap and used the remote key in the mechanical door lock. Eventually found the battery was kaput. Checking the halfords receipt discovered the battery was only 4 1/2 years old with a 5 year warranty. Tried to fit the new battery replacement and the battery clamp plate fell down the side of the battery into the engine undertray. I removed the undertray to retrieve the clamp plate and struggled to fit it but eventually succeeded. Then decided it would make sense to change the engine oil whilst the tray was off. All in all took me a day to change battery ! The design and access for the battery clamp plate must be near the top of VW's design errors. Had to kerb my language as next doors kids were in their garden !
    MK6 Golf SE 1.6TDI 105bhp winter pack ,sunroof , full size alloy spare wheel, flat tyre indicator
    Skoda Octavia II SE 1.9PD TDI
    VW 1302LS Beetle Karmann Cabriolet 1971 1584cc

0 0 0