Notices

User Tag List

Thread: 2002 1.9PD no power, P1556 code.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. 2002 1.9PD no power, P1556 code. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi All,

I have a problem with my A6 i'm hoping someone with a better understanding of whats going on may be able to help me with it.

Its a 2002 1.9 PD AWX engine code

I have error code P1556 Charge pressure control negative. Its painfully slow, seems like there is no boost at all, ever. Now for the history of what's gone on.....

I had the sticking VNT problem, it would go into limp mode, and be fine after a restart. it was occasionally, but got progressively worse.

I removed the turbo and freed it off by working a spanner on the arm. Refitted but it didn't last long before it was stuck again, and was now smoking very badly and painfully slow!

I bought a new cheap eBay turbo, complete unit including actuator. Fitted it, smoking has stopped but still painfully slow, like there is no boost at all.
    I've checked all the vacuum lines and they all seem ok. I borrowed vag com to do a turbo actuator test. It seems to be working ok, opening and closing freely.

At idle the actuator pulls the arm fully up, if you pull the vacuum pipe off, the arm returns.

I've checked all the charge pipes for leaks, pressurised them with an airline and all seem ok.

I changed the fuel filter and tried a different MAF sensor as I had them with no change.

The car is still painfully slow, no boost low down or seemingly anywhere!
    Hopefully this data I managed to log may be of some use.
    run log.jpg

Any help would be much appreciated, as I don't really know what to do next.

Thanks for reading

Michael
    Last edited by Weedraker; 02-05-2020 at 06:26 PM. Reason: corrected engine code to AWX

0 0 0

2. Re: 2002 1.9PD no power, P1556 code. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Hi
    Try to swap solenoid valves... turbo and egr valves, and see if its change..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2001 allroad 2.5 AKE manual -gone
    2007 A6 Estate 2.0 BRE manual

0 0 0

3. Re: 2002 1.9PD no power, P1556 code. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    You mean AWX. Apply suction to the vacuum source hose off the servo feed pipe, you should not be able to draw air.

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

4. Re: 2002 1.9PD no power, P1556 code. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've tried sucking on the vacuum line, you cant draw any air. I've swapped the N75 valve, it made no difference. I've thoroughly checked the vac lines, and replaced a few. The actuator seems to be functioning ok when you run the test in vag com. When you first start the engine the actuator pulls the arm up to the stop.

0 0 0

5. Re: 2002 1.9PD no power, P1556 code. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    59 Post(s)
    One does not suck vac lines or swap over valves its not professional all 0ne needs is a mity vac pump and a noid light to check the n75 which has to have 3 ports when energized vac travels
    between the top 2 ports when not energised vac gets dumpted via 1 and 3 ports the vac if checked at turbo actuator should read approx. 26/27 in/hg Regards mickeybo

0 0 0

6. Re: 2002 1.9PD no power, P1556 code. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mickeybo View Post
    One does not suck vac lines or swap over valves its not professional
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

7. Re: 2002 1.9PD no power, P1556 code. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi, I have approx. 20 in/hg at the actuator. The N75 valve fully opens and closes the actuator under the vag com test.

0 0 0

8. Re: 2002 1.9PD no power, P1556 code. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    I would be doing a charge air system pressure test but you need the equipment to do this. This underboost code is nearly always a leak, either in the vacuum system or the boost charge air circuit such as a split turbo outlet hose (very very common on the AWX and AVF engine) or intercooler.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

9. Re: 2002 1.9PD no power, P1556 code. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)
    I had the same problem on the AWX I owned some years ago.

It was the charge pressure hose, as Crasher suggests above.

The hose leaves the turbo & wends it's way down to the intercooler via several 90 degree bends.

On mine there was a split in the rubber pipe on the underside on one of the bends.

It wasn't obvious but had left a trace of black oil sprayed down onto other components.

Have a good look for telltale oil residue.

0 0 0

10. Re: 2002 1.9PD no power, P1556 code. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Sometimes if you squeeze them your finger pops inside the split.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast