1. Re: MK5 Golf Plus TDi 'Emissions - Garage' 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    The 038907281D does seem to be listed for BKD on other vehicles like the Touran around 2006 though. Seems to be quite a mix across different vehicles with same engine at same time, although it is the period they are changing part number. Possibly focusing retiring part to particular vehicles to simplify later recalls, etc?

0 0 0

2. Re: MK5 Golf Plus TDi 'Emissions - Garage' 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VAG-Abound View Post
    I'm not sure you described how it had gone from running fine for 9 years to having fuses missing and not running OK, if I read correctly. Or did it run OK without the fuses ?
    Very true. Let me fill this in...

The car is owned by a lady friend but is lent-out to a employee.

Some time in January he drove into another car. Nothing seemed damaged visually, although the drivers door was quite a bit out of alignment, but the car still drove fine.

In late Feb, one morning it wouldn't start with "LOW OIL PRESSURE" on the dash.

The next day, I was asked to have a look, so topped up the oil but it still wouldn't start.
    After checking further, there was no fuel getting to the filter housing, and as I was off to Italy the following morning, it was taken to a local garage, who said they couldn't identify the problem without it costing a fortune so it was towed back to the lady's home.

When I returned, and as I had been in Italy, I had to do isolation, then the UK isolation kicked in, so here we are two months later...

Initially the fuel pump was tested, confirmed dead and replaced, and for the sake of a fiver, so was it's relay.

It was then that the glowplug and brake lights came on and the problem with the fuses was noticed (not sure if the garage removed them?).

After checking the glow plugs were ok (0.6Ω each) and harness under the rocker cover, as well as the fuse, and receiving zero voltage at the plugs, I suspected the relay, which VCDS agreed with.

Today is another day and the crankshaft sensor is also on the 'to check' list.

Thanks a lot for the extra fuse info.

Nice one!

0 0 0

3. Re: MK5 Golf Plus TDi 'Emissions - Garage' 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The 038907281D does seem to be listed for BKD on other vehicles like the Touran around 2006 though. Seems to be quite a mix across different vehicles with same engine at same time, although it is the period they are changing part number. Possibly focusing retiring part to particular vehicles to simplify later recalls, etc?
    It does. The Bosch number also written on it is 0 281 003 038.

The shops around here have 0 281 003 083. And only that...

This is my doubt, as are the two interchangeable?

0 0 0

4. Re: MK5 Golf Plus TDi 'Emissions - Garage' 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    I find it very difficult to get any meaningful information from many of the online shops. OEM and decent aftermarket manufacturer catalogues can be more useful, like this: ERA.

They do suggest their part is equivalent to both the ...38 and ...83 versions.

0 0 0

5. Re: MK5 Golf Plus TDi 'Emissions - Garage' 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    I would say your problem is the controller you are using is for 5v glow plugs when yours are 4.4v.

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

6. Re: MK5 Golf Plus TDi 'Emissions - Garage' 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Progress!

"EMISSIONS GARAGE" has gone!

Added the fuses recommended by VAG-Abound, however the "GARAGE EMISSIONS" warning was still on the dash, but did the ignition key '3 times on and off' trick, and that has finally cleared that warning.

Woohoo!

Car still doesn't start though.

VCDS now comes back with 'NO CODES FOUND' - which means that the old relay is probably fine and that particular problem was the fuses.

Does anyone happen to know the correct ohm reading for the crank sensor?

0 0 0

7. Re: MK5 Golf Plus TDi 'Emissions - Garage' 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    I would say your problem is the controller you are using is for 5v glow plugs when yours are 4.4v.

That is again interesting. Thanks.

Might just pull a plug and confirm 100% it is working.

One other thing.

In VCDS, under Engine / Readiness / EXAHUAST GAS RECIRCULATION, it says, 'Failed or Incomplete'

Would that cause ignition failure?

0 0 0

8. Re: MK5 Golf Plus TDi 'Emissions - Garage' 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I find it very difficult to get any meaningful information from many of the online shops. OEM and decent aftermarket manufacturer catalogues can be more useful, like this: ERA.

They do suggest their part is equivalent to both the ...38 and ...83 versions.

Nice one. Thanks again that ERA list is great!

0 0 0

9. Re: MK5 Golf Plus TDi 'Emissions - Garage' 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    I read somewhere that the control module is used across voltages, and delivers whatever voltage the ECU is programmed for (but GP themseleves won't be happy with wrong voltage). No idea how true that is though...

There are other thread about the crank sensor. IIRC, watch it in VCDS to see if it has any reading, and if so that is within spec.

0 0 0

10. Re: MK5 Golf Plus TDi 'Emissions - Garage' 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I read somewhere that the control module is used across voltages, and delivers whatever voltage the ECU is programmed for (but GP themseleves won't be happy with wrong voltage). No idea how true that is though...

There are other thread about the crank sensor. IIRC, watch it in VCDS to see if it has any reading, and if so that is within spec.

Crasher and others have said the BKD engine would start even without the glow plugs and I have seen another Golf Plus start with the crankshaft sensor detached, so it would appear that something else in in the mix, although I am just about to test that sensor.

0 0 0

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast