Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    ive been doing a service on the S4 and ive run into a problem
    the fuel filter is held on by a bracket with one screw, the problem i have is that the retaining screw is rusted solid also
    there are no threads on the screw head to actually use it, so what are my best options?

iv soaked the screw with WD40 and im going to have another try, but i think the screw is stuck tight
    ive had a quick look and most use an extraction bit/tool which i don`t have, i could possibly try and drill it out and just replace
    with a threaded bolt, any thoughts

0 0 0

2. Re: Fuel filter stuck Help 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by raybrig View Post
    ive been doing a service on the S4 and ive run into a problem
    the fuel filter is held on by a bracket with one screw, the problem i have is that the retaining screw is rusted solid also
    there are no threads on the screw head to actually use it, so what are my best options?

iv soaked the screw with WD40 and im going to have another try, but i think the screw is stuck tight
    ive had a quick look and most use an extraction bit/tool which i don`t have, i could possibly try and drill it out and just replace
    with a threaded bolt, any thoughts
    I am not a 100% sure about what type of screw it is but if you can get a drill to it you will have other options. Like creating a groove in it for a flat blade screwdriver using a mini chisel (a hand impact tool would be used on the created groove).

My preferred method would be using a chisel and hammer to drive it undone which works a treat. Even a screwdriver and hammer will probably get it turning because it is impact action that can even undo wheel bolts. Just slant the hits so the screw turns left.

Having said that if you prefer drilling it out then that is also OK, whatever works is good.

0 0 0

3. Re: Fuel filter stuck Help 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    thanks for the advise, im not sure there would be enough room to do as advised

should also have mentioned that the car is on axel stands again limiting the room

0 0 0

4. Re: Fuel filter stuck Help 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)
    If you can drill the head off to release the bracket, that may give you enough of the screw to get a grip with mole grips or similar to get the rest out.
    Current- A6 C8 40 tdi quattro s line Daytona Grey
    Gone-S3 sportback, A6 C7 biturbo saloon,A4 B 8.5 avant, A6 C6 3.0 tdi Quattro saloon, A6 C5 2.8 Q Avant

0 0 0

5. Re: Fuel filter stuck Help 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott K View Post
    If you can drill the head off to release the bracket, that may give you enough of the screw to get a grip with mole grips or similar to get the rest out.
    the above sounds like a good idea

as mentioned ive left the car a few days with plenty of penetrating fluid on the screw/bolt to help things along
    i didnt really want to get the car back up in the air until i had a few ideas on how to remove it

now ive had some help full advise, ill give it a go over the weekend and let you know how i get on

0 0 0