1. Electrical gremlins in drivers door 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Guys. Pre lockdown, my drivers window switch decided that it didn't want to lower the window any more. It would raise the window fine and I could lower it by holding down the unlock button on the fob the other three window switches work so I put it down to a faulty switch. Off I go to Ebay to order a replacement switch which arrived yesterday. I tested it before putting the door card back on and the problem was still there - the drivers window goes up but not down. I called it a day and put the door back together, but now more of the electrics have decided to stop working. The mirrors, all four windows, both the flashing red alarm light and the light on bottom of the door that comes on when it's open all dead. The speaker is still working though.

Can anyone give me any pointers on this?

0 0 0

2. Re: Electrical gremlins in drivers door 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    Check the loom between the A pillar and drivers door for wire damage.
    Also, is your front pax footwell dry ?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    A4 2.5 tdi QS (mapped)

0 0 0

3. Re: Electrical gremlins in drivers door 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    The wires split inside the boot which goes between the door and body. Pull the boot back and you will find lots of either broken or breaking wires. Cut out, repair and all will work again

0 0 0

4. Re: Electrical gremlins in drivers door 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks guys. I've had a look at the wiring between the door and body. The insulation has worn away on three of the cables, but none appear to be either broken or shorting on each other. Nevertheless I think it's worth fixing to see if it solves the problem. Is this repair something that you've got experience of? I was thinking of snipping the damaged wires, then using crimp connectors to join them back together but will gladly take advice is there's a better way - it looks like space is at a premium in that door jamb and I don't have the smallest hands in the world!

0 0 0