1. Re: New power steering pump - now steering locked solid 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    How long do you expect to keep the car for? At that age I'd consider a used part but remembering it may be close to whatever failure affected yours. Depending on price difference a new Bosch or remanufactured OEM would be on my list. Not new from Far East, etc.

I'd look at prices with fitting cost. If fitting it yourself then working in the initial saving, chance of stuffing it up, having to crawl under and fix a bit more may be worth it. Getting a garage to fit a part they won't give any warranty on because you supplied it can be a majorly false economy. My local independent is happy to fit well parts from well known manufacturers like Hella, Ferodo, etc, but there are times I ask them to just get the official part from VAG, or fit ones from Bilstein, etc that I get to avoid "slightly the wrong part" being lucky dipped by GSF, etc.

0 1 0

2. Re: New power steering pump - now steering locked solid 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    Not sure if the suggestion the new pump has actually failed, or some crud in system may be stopping it running. I'd have thought getting it off, flushing, etc would be a fair idea, but unsure why your mechanic wouldn't have done that as a matter of course - and hence whether they will do it properly even if asked to do it now.

0 1 0

3. Re: New power steering pump - now steering locked solid 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    The cars not in a great condition bodywise, but had a new cambelt done last year and clutch and DMF 2 1/2 years ago (we only do about 2k per year so about 5k miles ago). We'd like ot get another 2 or 3 years out of it if we can.....

Bosch ones Ive seen for about £300 to buy, so may bite the bullet if it keeps it on the road for another 3 years (hopefully.........)

0 0 0

4. Re: New power steering pump - now steering locked solid 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VAG-Abound View Post
    Not sure if the suggestion the new pump has actually failed, or some crud in system may be stopping it running. I'd have thought getting it off, flushing, etc would be a fair idea, but unsure why your mechanic wouldn't have done that as a matter of course - and hence whether they will do it properly even if asked to do it now.

Wasnt overly impressed with the mechanic, was a new guy found last minute (highly recommended on social media and Google reviews). Had our other car in for work at the local MOT garage we use today, so will ask them for a price

Sorry if I come across as a bit tight/cautious of spending guys, we've been pretty lucky with both cars for so long (11 years+), its still a shock when one needs anything big spending on it..........................

0 0 0

5. Re: New power steering pump - now steering locked solid 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by A4B6Cab View Post
    Sorry if I come across as a bit tight/cautious of spending guys, we've been pretty lucky with both cars for so long (11 years+), its still a shock when one needs anything big spending on it..........................
    I'm the same, which partly why I'm here to learn from others. 16 year old Touran has had it's core servicing done to spec: oil, filters and brakes by me; cambelts by local independents. I then fiddle with other bits as they break, except things that can get a bit frisky like springs. Overall excellent value, but still a bit disappointing when a £500-ish job comes up. A lot of people pay that each month for the shiny, new thing they're driving but won't own!

0 1 0

6. Re: New power steering pump - now steering locked solid 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1841 Post(s)
    The pump, 8E0 145 155 F, would have originally been ZF and is £582 retail. As ZF Lenk is now part of Bosch, an original service exchange unit is Bosch number K S01 000 523. Bear in mind that this is a service exchange part and the old one must be in a returnable condition, i.e. not in bits so if buying from Johnny foreigner land, you need to factor in the return costs.There is one listed on fleaBay under the new non exchange Bosch number K S00 000 553.

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 1 0

7. Re: New power steering pump - now steering locked solid 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VAG-Abound View Post
    I'm the same, which partly why I'm here to learn from others. 16 year old Touran has had it's core servicing done to spec: oil, filters and brakes by me; cambelts by local independents. I then fiddle with other bits as they break, except things that can get a bit frisky like springs. Overall excellent value, but still a bit disappointing when a £500-ish job comes up. A lot of people pay that each month for the shiny, new thing they're driving but won't own!
    Exactly my argument... I live in a street full of new cars and it’s common to hear neighbours almost comparing their monthly payments!! I think the average monthly cost is about £400 ��

0 0 0

8. Re: New power steering pump - now steering locked solid 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    The pump, 8E0 145 155 F, would have originally been ZF and is £582 retail. As ZF Lenk is now part of Bosch, an original service exchange unit is Bosch number K S01 000 523. Bear in mind that this is a service exchange part and the old one must be in a returnable condition, i.e. not in bits so if buying from Johnny foreigner land, you need to factor in the return costs.There is one listed on fleaBay under the new non exchange Bosch number K S00 000 553.
    cheers Crasher (yet again...)
    going to see what my garage says tomorrow but got a feeling I’ll be buying a new Bosch one and getting it fitted by them. Is the fitting/bleeding/testing process different or difficult on the Audi to other cars? (Don’t want to have another one fail due to possibly poor practice)

0 0 0

9. Re: New power steering pump - now steering locked solid 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1841 Post(s)
    The critical thing is to get any debris in the rack, reservoir and hoses out and then run a good few litres of fluid through into a container before closing the circuit. The first pump may have contaminated the system and damaged the second, you don't want the third to go the same way and they will refuse warranty if it is contamination damage.

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 1 0

10. Re: New power steering pump - now steering locked solid 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    The critical thing is to get any debris in the rack, reservoir and hoses out and then run a good few litres of fluid through into a container before closing the circuit. The first pump may have contaminated the system and damaged the second, you don't want the third to go the same way and they will refuse warranty if it is contamination damage.
    Cheers Crasher (thats my most used phrase of 2020 so far)

Heard from the garage, they can supply and it a new pump for £570 with a years warranty. Or will fit one I supply for £240 labour + £22 for fluids.

Would it be better to buy a Bosch one myself and get it fitted? Or trust the garage supplied one will be OK? Apologies for all the questions

0 0 0

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast