Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi,

First time posting but after plenty of reading around.

My VW T5 2008 with a 1.9tdi engine (BRS) has been feeling underpowered and becomes choked on acceleration, particularly as the you come to the end of accelerating just before you would change gear. Here the engine ‘surges’ with black smoke, presumably as the combustion becomes incomplete.

After testing and checking the following, I have found the EGR seems to be the problem. For now I’ve unplugged it and the engine now runs smooth, but I would like to be sure it’s the EGR before I replace it.

Checked/tested and OK;
    -MAF sensor (electrics and sensor ok)
    -Vacuum hoses (manually pulled a vacuum and it holds, pressure on main line at 20mmHG)
    -turbo hoses not leaking, good seals
    -EGR electrics as spec
    -N75 solenoid recently replaced (previous ‘moo’ issue
    -Air Intake Manifold, Throttle body and EGR valve all cleaned. EGR valve mechanism not obviously damaged and appears to close fully. I don’t have an EGR actuator year tool or VCDS to test the full operation of it.

Engine has only done 70k in its lifetime.

Any advice would be much appreciated so I can rule everything else out before I replace the EGR valve.

0 0 0

2. Re: 1.9tdi (BRS) EGR valve fault? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    You should see how blocked the entire system gets

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: 1.9tdi (BRS) EGR valve fault? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yes I’ve had that all off and cleaned. Wasn’t quite as bad as yours there though. I had hoped that would sort things. It’s almost like the EGR solenoid is being told to, or is opening too much on its own.

looks like I only have a pic of the EGR (before I cleaned it)
    3F714540-BAEC-42F7-A773-3C83C6C43A7D.jpg

0 0 0

4. Re: 1.9tdi (BRS) EGR valve fault? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    That one is a customers van and in the last three years we have done that twice. To reduce labour costs an guarantee success we fit a new flap motor and EGR valve whilst the cooler and manifold go in the dip overnight.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

5. Re: 1.9tdi (BRS) EGR valve fault? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Found the problem this eve, so sharing for anyone else who might have the same problem.

To cut a long story short, the vacuum/brake booster hose did not have a good seal at the connection to the tandem pump.

Last week I took the EGR off for the second time in three months, bench tested and realised the valve wasn’t opening fully. I missed that last time and thought the action it had last time was the full motion. Took it apart, cleaned and oiled, bench tested to check and put it back on. Noticeably better performance of the engine and exhaust smells reduced but performance was still not right. I realised the choking & black smoke when accelerating sometimes must be because of something else. Back to the vacuum.

Decided this eve to test the vacuum system again. First test, struggled to get 25mmHg and noticed all was lost quickly when moving the vacuum hose connection at the tandem pump.

Video of vacuum test: 9 May 2020 - YouTube

Ran a second test to see if I could pull a full vacuum directly on the vacuum pump to check the leak was definitely at the connector - it was.
    4A1BFE39-A1DB-4191-BB4C-ACD0EA471885.jpg

New assembly just purchased for £60 shipped from Germany.

0 0 0

6. Re: 1.9tdi (BRS) EGR valve fault? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    308 Post(s)
    The Devil valve...

0 0 0

7. Re: 1.9tdi (BRS) EGR valve fault? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    No doubt it will be clogged again in a few thousand miles. But at least my vacuum issue will now be sorted. It’s been holding the turbo back and loosing pressure causing the engine to choke itself on acceleration sometimes, but always with a long groaning moo after.

0 0 0