Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintyjim View Post
    Hi there,
    Did you work out how to remove the entire unit? I have removed the door card, removed the single bolt holding the mirror to the external door skin but there's a harness clip inside the door which is baffling me as to how to access and then fit the new one!
    Any advise would be greatly appreciated!
    Cheers,
    James
    Sorry James. Just seen this. It's probably too late for you, but to answer your question... brute force.

I couldn't work out if there was another clip hidden behind the cross member or if the wiring loom was snagged on something. When the old unit came out, I noticed slight chafing on the wiring loom. I deduced it was snagged on the door metal, but can't actually confirm.

Obviously, I wouldn't advise the brute force method if you intended to refit the same part. I'm going to invest in one of these endoscope/borescope widgets for these types of jobs.

Top Tip: If you remove and replace the unit, be careful to ensure the wiring loom is completely flat to the door when reinstalling, even if you use all the clips. I only found out there was a problem when the window got stuck half way down. Had to remove the door card again and tape the loom to the door. Probably should have tested the window operation before reinstalling the door card.

0 0 0

2. Re: Wing/Door Mirror Replacement Questions 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Correction to earlier post. I said there were 2 styles of puddle light for the B8. There's actually only one. My mistake.

The puddle light has an embossed portion of the lense, so it looks smaller (and a different shape) from the outside, but only because the outer edge is hidden by the casing.

My casing was cracked, so I could see the entire puddle light, making me think it was different from the opposite (undamaged) side.

It appears to be designed like this to keep out moisture. Seems to work, so no issue with this feature.

0 0 0

3. Re: Wing/Door Mirror Replacement Questions 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Oh, and one very important note. If you intend to buy a new wing mirror from outside the UK, beware! These wing mirrors are made differently for LHD and RHD models. It is critical you make sure you are buying the right part based on which hand drive your car is, left or right. I don't know if this is specific to my car, or this applies to all cars.

To be clear, I'm not speaking of the glass (convex v aspherical). And I'm not talking about which side of the car it is supposed to be fitted. The problem is the horizontal range of the motor (or coupling) that controls the movement of the mirror glass.

I swapped over the glass in mine so it was correct. The old wing mirror was on the nearside, and the replacement was also for the same side of the car, i.e. to the driver's left.

I only noticed an issue after fitting the new unit. When positioning the mirror to the innermost angle, I still couldn't see the side of my car from the driver's seat. A big problem when reverse parking.

I contacted the retailer, but they didn't understand that they had sold me a part only fit for LHD cars, and it wasn't listed as such. Due to their unwillingness to help, it ended up a big fight, but finally got my money back through my card company.

Of course, I know how obvious this sounds now, but I assumed the retailer would make reference to the part being for only LHD or only RHD models in the part description.

The same retailer lists literally hundreds of other parts that state if they are for only LHD or only RHD vehicles, so the whole debacle could have been avoided before I made the purchase had they listed it correctly. To this day, they still have not changed the description. I can only assume someone else in the UK will fall into the same trap.

Beware of ÀUT0D0C!!! I've stopped using them as a supplier. Can't be trusted to list items correctly, and can't be trusted to reasonably deal with a simple customer service return & refund matter.

0 0 0

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12