1. Wing/Door Mirror Replacement Questions 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Left (near side) door/wing mirror damaged, and needs repairing. It was only a glancing blow with a wall, but some of the plastics were damaged.

The top cover, indicator, and lower base were all damaged and are unrepairable. Everything else is working fine. While I can buy a new cover and indicator, the lower base appears only to be available through buying the whole unit.

Q.1 Does anyone know if the ABS plastic base of the wing/door mirror is available as a spare part on its own? (there was a non VW code on it, but an online search brought back nothing relevant)

There is a sticker inside the main unit. However, it was made out of poor quality paper, and was crumpled, so I couldn't read it. When I touched the sticker to straighten it out, all the text brushed off, so I've no idea what the OE part number was.

The problem is, there are a few different types of door/wing mirror for this model. Some have lane guidance, camera, etc. Mine however only has heated glass, electric adjustment, electric folding and a puddle light.

I called my local dealership, but they refused to give me the part number. They only want to sell me the OE unit, but it's too pricey compared to online suppliers. Typical of Arnold Clark.

Q.2 Can anyone advise me how else I can find the OE part number for the whole unit for my car?

I'm fairly handy with repairs, but the car is new to me and I've never seen this type of door/wing mirror. It stems from the door skin itself, and I'm not sure where the fixing point is. I may be wrong, but it doesn't look like the fixing is on the mirror unit side.

Q.3 Can anyone advise how I get to the fixing? Do I need to remove the door card to get to the fixing? (easy job for a B7, but quite different for a B8)

Any help is much appreciated, especially while social distancing measures means I can't pop by my local independent garage.

Cheers.
    Last edited by Mikeinho; 04-04-2020 at 12:53 AM. Reason: Lack of details

0 0 0

2. Re: Wing/Door Mirror Replacement Questions 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    It's quite normal for the part numbers not to be shared, so don't blame Arnold Clarke especially.

Can you see same sticker on other side? Part number there will often differ by single digit.

0 0 0

3. Re: Wing/Door Mirror Replacement Questions 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    Is it this type: 2015 On MK7 Volkswagen Passat B8 DOOR WING MIRROR LH Passenger REFLEX SILVER | eBay

That list part code 3G2857507AR9B9, which is the non-electrically folding type and satin black (9B9). You probably want 3G2857507BK, which is the folding one without cameras. No idea if you can scavenge external parts between them , although I'd expect VW to design it so you could to simplify manufacture.

eBay for "passat b8 passenger mirror" finds a good few contenders.

0 1 0

4. Re: Wing/Door Mirror Replacement Questions 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Private Message me your REG and I will give you the numbers.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

5. Re: Wing/Door Mirror Replacement Questions 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VAG-Abound View Post
    Is it this type: 2015 On MK7 Volkswagen Passat B8 DOOR WING MIRROR LH Passenger REFLEX SILVER | eBay

That list part code 3G2857507AR9B9, which is the non-electrically folding type and satin black (9B9). You probably want 3G2857507BK, which is the folding one without cameras. No idea if you can scavenge external parts between them , although I'd expect VW to design it so you could to simplify manufacture.

eBay for "passat b8 passenger mirror" finds a good few contenders.
    Helpful, thanks. I bit the bullet and bought a new whole mirror. Was cheaper than a used part by more than 50%, and I intend to scavenge the internals from my mirror and swap them over so I retain the electric folding feature.

If it doesn't work, I'll just fit the new part in its entirety. Will pick up a used part further down the line once the scrapyards are full of them.

I got my hands on a free copy of ElsaWin 6.0 for looking up parts and workshop repairs, so hopefully I won't have this problem in future.

Can appreciate why dealership doesn't want to give out part numbers. They are drumming up business for themselves. However, it would be better for everyone if they just worked WITH the customer, as opposed to making it difficult for us.

0 0 0

6. Re: Wing/Door Mirror Replacement Questions 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    ELSA is for parts only and with 6.0 you will find all the VW info is in German. ETKA is the system for parts and at the moment no one seems to have cracked the latest version, anything above v8.0 r1218 causes problems.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

7. Re: Wing/Door Mirror Replacement Questions 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    ELSA is for parts only and with 6.0 you will find all the VW info is in German. ETKA is the system for parts and at the moment no one seems to have cracked the latest version, anything above v8.0 r1218 causes problems.
    The language isn't an issue. I've got all versions 4.0 through to 6.0, so it's not all in German. Either way, a bit of translation isn't a big problem. It's the pictures that do most of the explaining.

Getting part numbers wasn't that difficult either. Just don't call Arnold Clark. Other retailers do offer this service.

Isn't it funny though how if you only spent £100 on a new Hoover, they would provide you with a parts list, whereas you spend £££££s on a VW and they don't give any support unless you're a retailer?

On a side note, they changed the shape of the puddle light on newer models. The old B8 has a quarter ellipse, while the newer B8 is a isosceles trapezoid. Not at all interesting, just a note for anyone who cares about symmetry.

I only found this out while comparing my own wing mirrors. They don't match. One of the covering caps on the O/S door card was missing, and the top of the door card was a bit loose. Apparently, my O/S mirror was replaced with the old version (probably used), and they did a bad job of putting it back together.

Same old same old...

0 0 0

8. Re: Wing/Door Mirror Replacement Questions 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeinho View Post
    Isn't it funny though how if you only spent £100 on a new Hoover, they would provide you with a parts list, whereas you spend £££££s on a VW and they don't give any support unless you're a retailer?
    Agreed. The door lock and / or control board on our Bosch washing machine failed. Best value way to fix it was to download all the parts lists for similar machines, play with them in Excel to see what was most similar, and spot that a "next year" model was exactly the same drum, case, pump, etc. Got control panel and latch from someone breaking one with failed drum bearings and so we have a not only repaired but upgraded washing machine . Unfortunately upgraded means even slower wash cycles as manufacturers set out to save a few Wh of energy by using lower temperatures . But like all good emissions management systems it has a "defeat" button labelled "Speed Perfect" .

Which is similar to why ETKA is so useful: to see where the same part was used on other vehicles, upgraded parts that can be used, etc for eBay searches.

0 0 0

9. Re: Wing/Door Mirror Replacement Questions 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeinho View Post
    Not at all interesting, just a note for anyone who cares about symmetry.
    I like symmetry. Lost a hub cap many years ago, so car looked untidy. Trip to breakers resulted in two that matched each other on one side and two different but matching themselves ones on other side most people would never notice. But I knew...

0 0 0

10. Re: Wing/Door Mirror Replacement Questions 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Hi there,
    Did you work out how to remove the entire unit? I have removed the door card, removed the single bolt holding the mirror to the external door skin but there's a harness clip inside the door which is baffling me as to how to access and then fit the new one!
    Any advise would be greatly appreciated!
    Cheers,
    James

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast