1. Covid Lockdown and DPFs 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    171 Post(s)
    Given modern diesel engines are not designed for short journeys I am wondering whether the industry is going to see a massive increase in failed DPFs as they are very unlikely to able to go through a full regen process in the current lockdown environment. My own car has probably done no more than 30 miles in the past 2 weeks. Fortunately I have access to a couple of petrol engined cars which I am using for essential journeys at the moment

0 0 0

2. Re: Covid Lockdown and DPFs 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    In my previous C6 2.0TDI, my commute was fairly short although the car did get decent runs at the weekend, but not on motorway. I never in the 3 years I owned it had a DPF issue. I wouldn`t worry too much.
    Alan.

A6 Avant (C7) 3.0 TFSI Quattro S-Tronic
    APR St1 Custom Exhaust - now gone
    VW T6 150 DSG Camper £££

0 0 0

3. Re: Covid Lockdown and DPFs 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Yeah i believe it was only early gen DPF cars (around 2008/2009) which had DPF issues. The DPF on modern Audi/VAG diesels is generally trouble free these days, even if the car is used mainly for short trips.

0 0 0

4. Re: Covid Lockdown and DPFs 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    To add to psychopomp1's comment, I've only been doing short runs to the supermarket in my C7 FL, and on Friday of last week, when I parked up back home I could hear the familiar sound of the DPF Regen fans running. I had only driven 5 miles there and back, so 10 in total. Highest speed I got to was 50 for about 1-1/2 miles. Not sure if having a 3 ltr helps as I guess they produce a bit more heat?
    2017 model A6 Avant Black Edition 3.0Tdi (272) Quattro, Sepang Blue Exclusive Paint, Tech Pack, Matrix LEDs, Ambient Lighting, 20" 5 Twin Spoke Wheels, S Line Suspension, Audi Smartphone Interface, Debadged

0 0 0

5. Re: Covid Lockdown and DPFs 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    308 Post(s)
    The key to it all is everything working correctly as above a regen still occurs even with low miles.

Unfortunately there's too many possible issues against it even the most simple of common faults that make it generally a flawed system .

0 0 0

6. Re: Covid Lockdown and DPFs 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I wouldn't worry about it too much, they were designed with some periods of short journeys involved. My own DPF equipped car (2.0 cr170) I've owned since almost new for 7 years and put 75k on it and at times have covered short journeys for months and never had a problem.

I suspect it will want replacing at the 100-120k mark which is reasonable in my mind as it is a wear and tear part.

0 0 0

7. Re: Covid Lockdown and DPFs 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I'm using mine just once a week now for on a mixture of roads for about 20 minutes or so, just to make sure it gets up to temp and the battery gets a little help. When I got home after my last trip the fans were working overdrive so I guess it is doing what it needs to do.

0 0 0