1. Reduce oil level message 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I took delivery of my (new to me) 2014 A6 Avant 2.0 Ultra on Thursday. When exploring the menus I got a "Please reduce oil level" message. The car was serviced before it was delivered to me including an oil change and the delivery involved it being driven around 200 miles. There is no warning flashing up and it seems to drive perfectly well, so I'm assuming it's probably only been slightly overfilled? I recently bought an oil pump for potential oil changes which I believe normally involve the pipe being inserted where the oil is put in so I thought this was an ideal opportunity to try it out! I removed the oil filler cap and there's something there that would prevent insertion of the pipe so unless there's somewhere else the pipe can go that doesn't look like an option? I'd be grateful for some advice on both counts.

0 0 0

2. Re: Reduce oil level message 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    There is a dip stick hole with a plug where you can use a...... dipstick but Audi in their infinite wisdom don’t supply one, Laser offer the one below

Runtime Error (this is the link to the Laser tools page)

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: Reduce oil level message 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    There is a dip stick hole with a plug where you can use a...... dipstick but Audi in their infinite wisdom don’t supply one, Laser offer the one below

Runtime Error (this is the link to the Laser tools page)

Thank you. Interesting! Could this dip stick opening be used to put in a pipe to drain oil? I had a look around the engine and couldn't see anything like this, where is it located?

0 0 0

4. Re: Reduce oil level message 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    There is a discrete black plug on top of the dipstick tube. Yes it can be used to drain the oil, we only use the facility to deal with cockups.
    Last edited by Crasher; 23-03-2020 at 10:05 AM.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

5. Re: Reduce oil level message 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    There is a discrete black plug on top of the dipstick tube. Yes it can be used to drain the oil, we only use the facility to deal with clockups.
    Thank you. I'll see if I can find it tomorrow, knowing there is one should help me to find it. If the overfill was significant would a warning normally come up on the dash rather than being found (in my case) almost by accident?

0 0 0

6. Re: Reduce oil level message 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    81 Post(s)
    Hi my 2015FL is purity sensitive re oil level. On its first service the MMI showed it being 3/4 full pointed it out to the service numpty he got a guy to do a top up only needed about 100ml and it was on max, so it could be only a small amount gues your idea is a good one for this. Would be interesting to know how much over it is.
    2015 FL S-line 2L ultra & 2003 225 TT Coupe

0 0 0

7. Re: Reduce oil level message 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobblers View Post
    Thank you. I'll see if I can find it tomorrow, knowing there is one should help me to find it. If the overfill was significant would a warning normally come up on the dash rather than being found (in my case) almost by accident?
    I've had a quick look and can't see where the dipstick hole might be so perhaps I need to remove the engine cover to locate it? The reason I ask is that the garage who did the service a week ago indicated that this shouldn't be necessary.

0 0 0

8. Re: Reduce oil level message 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    I have the same type of car in tomorrow for a service and MOT so I will take a picture.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

9. Re: Reduce oil level message 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have the same type of car in tomorrow for a service and MOT so I will take a picture.
    Thank you, very much appreciated

0 0 0

10. Re: Reduce oil level message 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    I also have an Ultra, and every time I have had it serviced (I've had 6 services now) it comes back with oil on max, but occasionally when I check the oil level within the first month or so after the service the 'please reduce oil level' is displayed. I've never removed any oil because this message doesn't appear every time so I assume it's just quite sensitive to small changes when on max rather that there being a significant overfill and issue.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast