Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi guys

my CAVD TSI needs a service I can do this with no problem but I have heard of some horror stories of the timing chain tensioner de-tensioning it’s self when the oil is dropped

Is there any recommended procedures when doing a oil change on these as I was thinking of using works oil extractor and extracting the old oil via the dipstick

0 0 0

2. Re: 1.4 TSI CAVD oil change 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1813 Post(s)
    Yes, changing the oil on these is scary... in fact all the small engines with timing chains scare the crap out of us after an oil change, mind you the big V6 diesels can make a grown man cry on start up. We cringe very time we start one up, we have just rebuilt one and another to start tomorrow... the CAVD in particular is proving to be a disaster. We ALWAYS take out the plugs and crank the engine over with the filter off until we get oil up at the filter location, then with the oil pressure switch out, crank until oil flows there and then put the plugs back in. After start up, don’t rev it for a few seconds and I can guarantee the initial rattle will turn your hair grey. Whatever you do, NEVER ever rotate one of these engines anti-clockwise for a ANY reason.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: 1.4 TSI CAVD oil change 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    Yes, changing the oil on these is scary... in fact all the small engines with timing chains scare the crap out of us after an oil change, mind you the big V6 diesels can make a grown man cry on start up. We cringe very time we start one up, we have just rebuilt one and another to start tomorrow... the CAVD in particular is proving to be a disaster. We ALWAYS take out the plugs and crank the engine over with the filter off until we get oil up at the filter location, then with the oil pressure switch out, crank until oil flows there and then put the plugs back in. After start up, don’t rev it for a few seconds and I can guarantee the initial rattle will turn your hair grey. Whatever you do, NEVER ever rotate one of these engines anti-clockwise for a ANY reason.

Thank you mate

when fitting the oil filter once the oil is up to the filter thre would you fill the filter with oil then fit the filter

also where’s the oil pressure switch located as Haynes don’t list the twin charge and I don’t have access to autodata

0 0 0

4. Re: 1.4 TSI CAVD oil change 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1813 Post(s)
    The switch is on the end of the head over the gearbox, a bit buried. Once we see oil cranked up to the filter we are happy. Sometimes when rebuilding these engines we have real struggles with getting the oil pressure up, so much that we have to use a vacuum pump on an oil pressure testing adapter to encourage it up there. We are taking the sump off a CAVD in a Scirocco today as it has low oil pressure at the head but full 5 Bar at the turbo which suggests main bearings as the rod bearings are brand new genuine. To be honest I am getting a bit sick of these engines.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

5. Re: 1.4 TSI CAVD oil change 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    The switch is on the end of the head over the gearbox, a bit buried. Once we see oil cranked up to the filter we are happy. Sometimes when rebuilding these engines we have real struggles with getting the oil pressure up, so much that we have to use a vacuum pump on an oil pressure testing adapter to encourage it up there. We are taking the sump off a CAVD in a Scirocco today as it has low oil pressure at the head but full 5 Bar at the turbo which suggests main bearings as the rod bearings are brand new genuine. To be honest I am getting a bit sick of these engines.

Thank you once again mate for the advice.

Managed to get it over the pit at work and change the oil and filter and it went like a dream (don’t think I have ever been as nervous doing an oil change 😂&#128514

You wasn’t wrong about the initial rattle on start up my immediate reaction was to switch it off 😂😂

1 0 0

6. Re: 1.4 TSI CAVD oil change 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Can someone please advise if the CAXA engine is similar and subject to the same rattle after an oil change?

0 0 0

7. Re: 1.4 TSI CAVD oil change 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1813 Post(s)
    Buttock clenching... just taking a CAVD apart at the moment, suspected failed VVT unit...

Yes the CAXA is exactly the same, identical parts excluding the crank sprocket which is upgraded for the blower drive.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 1 0

8. Re: 1.4 TSI CAVD oil change 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    My CAVD car sat for a couple of weeks until i started it yesterday, when i got that dreaded rattle. It was maybe two or three seconds,i was just thinking of turning it off when it went silent as normal. It's made me think i should start it regularly... ?

0 0 0

9. Re: 1.4 TSI CAVD oil change 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1813 Post(s)
    Would make me think about getting the chain done.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

10. Re: 1.4 TSI CAVD oil change 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have a scirocco with the CAVD engine and the low oil pressure warning comes on when the engine is at running temp, the car has had a supposed £1800 engine build not long back I’ve tested the pressure at the head it was 3 bar when cold but reduced to half a bar when hot.
    ive taken the sump off and can’t see anything wrong down there looks like it’s had a new oil pump no play in con rod bearings although they do seem to have quite a bit of side to side movement, there is also quite a rattle that seems to sound like it’s from no 1/2 cylinder in the head but I’m guessing with oil pressure that low it will rattle a bit anyone heard of this before?

0 0 0