1. Upgrading the standard B6 steering wheel to B6 MFSW 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Ignore this post if you've seen it on any other forums.

I have a 2004 A4 B6 1.9 TDI SE Avant Multitronic that a previous owner has retro-fitted with an RNS-E. He did a good job and the stereo, radio and satnav work fine.

I've decided to fit a multi-function steering wheel, just the standard B6 4-spoke model but I'm struggling to find any definitive guides to help me get it together, most I've found are for fitting B7 wheels into B6s.

I kept my original wheel and after a few wrong turns and money wasted I ended up with the following components ...

MFSW Airbag - 8E0880201AB

Steering wheel control module - 61340351

Steering wheel airbag harness - 8E0971589S

Multi-function buttons wiring harness - 8Z0971589E

As my car is an SE Avant it has all the stalks (indicators, wipers (incl rear wiper), trip computer and cruise.

I haven't physically seen the Slip-ring but I believe it's 8E0953541E and the Steering column control module is 8E0953549N

Today I took the airbag off and fitted the MFSW airbag with the new steering control module and both harnesses. I put it all back together, reconnected the battery and the buttons are dead. Plus I'm not sure if they're supposed to illuminate when the lights are on but if they do then that doesn't work either.

Before I spend any more money can anyone that's already done this swap point me in the right direction please?

Do I need to replace the combination switch and slip-ring to something else or do I need to do something with my VCDS-Lite to get the stereo to talk to the MFSW?

It's doing my noggin in.

0 0 0

2. Re: Upgrading the standard B6 steering wheel to B6 MFSW 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    Have you done anything with VCDS? From reading previous swap stories you do need to tell the car MFSW is there, and what type.

0 0 0

3. Re: Upgrading the standard B6 steering wheel to B6 MFSW 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    No, I've not done anything with VCDS yet. That's my next step I guess. Just hoping I have everything that's necessary fitted now so I can finally get it all working.

0 0 0

4. Re: Upgrading the standard B6 steering wheel to B6 MFSW 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    It says here that button illumination is CAN controlled, so getting the control modules coded so they know to talk to each other may be needed: mk3 MFSW retrofit - button lights/illumination - Skoda Octavia Mk II (2004 - 2013) - BRISKODA.

0 0 0

5. Re: Upgrading the standard B6 steering wheel to B6 MFSW 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks for that extra info VAG-Abound, plenty of reading to get my head round.

0 0 0

6. Re: Upgrading the standard B6 steering wheel to B6 MFSW 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Monzta View Post
    Thanks for that extra info VAG-Abound, plenty of reading to get my head round.
    How did you get on Monzta? Looks like a nice project, especially if old steering wheel getting a bit worn.

0 0 0

7. Re: Upgrading the standard B6 steering wheel to B6 MFSW 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BMurr View Post
    How did you get on Monzta? Looks like a nice project, especially if old steering wheel getting a bit worn.
    All working now BMurr. I thought my car had a slip-ring part number 8E0953541E but it turns out it had 8E0953541C. Switched it for an E and boom!, a fully working MFSW at long last.

0 1 0

8. Re: Upgrading the standard B6 steering wheel to B6 MFSW 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Hi Monza,

I'm definately interesting in getting your knowledge on this retrofit. I've a 2002 1.9tdi saloon, it had factory fitted cruise and basic nav, highline colour dash, but I've just got the regular 4 spoke wheel. I picked up a secondhand new airbag with the multifunction buttons built in (there were 2 types, 1 for phone prepped cars and one for radio only functions, this is the one I got), and I think it has the steering wheel wiring harness as well. I was originally thinking it's a simple switch out as I already had cruise. Sounds like this was your thinking as well?

Now sounds like there is an additional harness? Multi-function buttons wiring harness - 8Z0971589E - Where does this connect from and to?

I'd be interested in your VCDS coding steps and the slip ring, can you see the version fitted in VCDS or only physcially on the slip ring?

Thanks for your guidance

Paul

0 0 0